What's Your Favorite Soup?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Oct 11, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've always preferred having soups to accompany my meals. It gives my stomach warmth, and I feel like it fills me up much better as compared to when I eat without soup on the side. I only use canned soup or a packet of ramen as a side, and I've been meaning to try and make one from scratch. I'm mostly looking towards pumpkin and carrot soup, but as for canned/packed ones, my favorite would have to be Chinese chicken and corn, hot and sour, or alphabet soup. Which soups are your favorite?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been making homemade minestrone a lot lately. I just start with some browned ground beef. Then add a jar of marinara, a can or two of some chicken broth. Then I add in some veggies - usually carrot, zucchini, fresh spinach and navy beans. Towards the end I add in some Ditalini pasta and a drizzle or two of olive oil. You only need a small amount of pasta because too much will take over the soup and thicken it too much.

When I order Chinese takeout, I love getting some of their Wonton soup or Egg Drop soup to go along with my order.

I'm also a big fan of TGI Friday's black bean soup as well as Rockne's black bean soup.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like roasted butternut squash soup. I roast the butternut squash to bring out the sweetness, I then add it to caramelised onions, garlic, sage, chilli and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and smoked paprika). I personally like my food spicy and the spices compliment the sweetness of the squash.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't made soup in ages, so I plan to experiment this winter to add to my soup menu. I'm fairly boring though, chicken vegetable is my fave or broccoli... for now! Can't wait to play.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am one of those people who are obsessed with seafood so it shouldn't come as a surprise that one of my favorite soups are lam chowders. I absolutely love the way it tastes when its a bit extra spicy. The flavors are just amazing in my opinion and if I could I would eat it forever(haha).

6. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Soups are so easy to make, are very economical and healthy too. My favorite would be either a chicken vegetable or a beef vegetable soup or stew. I grow so many vegetables and freeze any extras and keep them cut up and ready to go...in what? Mostly my homemade soups.

I think if you had good homemade soup or stew, you would not think of it as a side, but more of a main dish. Just search online for simple soups and you will be amazed what you can do.

7. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I love making soups. Soups are very easy to make, and they taste better homemade. They cost very little per serving. They are easy to reheat as well. I make all my soups from scratch and mostly in the crockpot. I make potato soup, vegetable, mushroom, broccoli and cheese, beef stew, chili, and chicken noodle. They are wonderful to eat on fall and winter days.

8. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of Mexican tortilla soup and Italian wedding soup. Both of these soups are so hearty, flavorful and delicious. I add a dollop of sour cream, salsa, cheese and black tortilla chips to the Mexican tortilla soup. I just sprinkle a little parsley over the Italian wedding soup and eat it with some type of bread. If you haven't tried these soups, you really should!

9. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    My favorite soup of all time is at The Corner Bakery restaurant. The Baked Potato soup in a bread bowl is so awesome! My teammates and would always go after practice and have the soup and bread as our meal - it was perfect! The tricky thing is that Corner Bakery has their soups on a schedule, so you have to know when the Baked Potato one is being served on which days! Other than that, it's a go-to, and has never let me down!

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tasted cream of mushroom soup before, and I really liked how it tastes. So I think that's my favorite soup.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not particularly crazy about soup. Only drink them when it's cold or when it looks really yummy. My favorites are cheese soup and vegetables soup.

12. kevin8624

kevin8624New Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a soup person but I do love a good stew. They are best in the winter for some reason which means I'll be able to start making them again!

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tortilla soup is my favorite too! I love making it in my crockpot. It fills my apartment with a delicious aroma. I also make a mean 13 bean soup/chili. I add tomato sauce, cumin, and garlic powder before the soup is done. I love it some much that I eat it once a week.

14. SophiaLazar

SophiaLazarMember

Threads:
    My favorite is a family tradition, lemon Greek soup though there is a restaurant in Boston that seems to do it the best. It is an all season soup, I think owing to the lemon flavor which is great in summer as it is yummie in winter. This is a common recipe, although my Mom always made it with Orzo. It is traditional way to begin the Easter Greek Orthodox dinner.

8 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    6 tablespoons chicken soup base
    1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/4 cup margarine
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup cooked white rice
    1 cup diced, cooked chicken meat
    16 slices lemon
    8 egg yolks

Directions

In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, carrots, onions, celery, soup base, and white pepper. Bring to a boil on high, then simmer for 20 minutes.
    Blend the butter and the flour together. Then gradually add it to the soup mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
    Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks until light in color. Gradually add some of the hot soup to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the soup pot and heat through. Add the rice and chicken. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with lemon slices.

15. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to be pretty classic in this sense. The soup that I eat more regularly is composed of vegetable broth (homemade or commercial) and I usually accompanied that with small noodles. On the other hand, I really enjoy a very traditional preparation: onion soup. This is a classic recipe of french gastronomy and its preparation is very simple. Onions, a little butter, spices, some wine, chicken or beef broth and some cheese ... That is a true delight :eek:

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

My favorite soup is brocili and cheese soup I love it. And it's even better if you have some dinner rolls to go with it.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite is hot and sour, but I also enjoy bird nest soup and lobster bisque - though of course it can be kind of awkward cause I have to do the whole substitution thing... I mean I can't eat shellfish, because I can't cook or shuck them alive (not happening), but yeah I'm getting pretty good at it and I think my next thing is going to be some kind of chower.

18. Loyal

LoyalBanned

Threads:
    My favorite soup would have to be the vietnamese soup called PHO. It's the best thing for a hangover that's for sure. =)

19. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I make an awesome homage chicken noodle soup! As far as canned, I'd say beef barley or split pea with ham.

20. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    How do you make your tortilla soup? That sounds delicious!