When do you buy something to get something?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by MrsJones • Dec 5, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We are all dealing with the effects of the economy. We take advantage of deals, offers and the like that prove to grant us with the much needed savings that we are seeking. One way I found that has proved to me that it could be advantageous is through doing online surveys to reach my required goal for payment. At first I was hesitant but then I followed through on one of the trial offers. I reached my goal for payment and actually liked the trial product. I look at it as receiving a discount on a product that I tried and liked. I would do it again.

When do you or did you buy something to get something? Was it a good deal for you?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I only ever buy something to get something in one of two scenarios- either it was something I was already planning on getting (the majority of the time this is the case) or if it's something that I would really like/find useful for myself or someone else. Otherwise it's not really getting a great deal, is it? I don't understand people who take advantage of every single 'offer' like that and end up spending money they wouldn't have otherwise spent in an effort to save it.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Hm.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I would submit that couponers do this all the time. Very often in stores where rewards are involved (i.e.: CVS extra care bucks, or Walgreens register rewards, or Target gift card deals), there are ways in which you can use coupons and end up getting more "back" than you originally spent. We call them "money makers."

I sort of pledged that I'd never buy something just because it is free or cheap, if it isn't something I'd use. I'm not going to be labeled a crazy hoarding coupon queen. However, if something is a "money maker" - I'll get it if it is relatively easy. If it is a product I won't use, I donate it. There are currently an abundance of rebate apps, so some of the "money maker" products are actually CASH back, essentially meaning I get paid to take home certain products for free.

Most recently, I was paid $1 for 4 boxes of Nutri-grain bars. (Ones we actually eat.) I've been paid for Progresso Soup several times, and Cheerios. These are the deals that are rare and awesome when they happen.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy something to get something in those buy one, get one free sales at Publix.
    Those are totally worth it because they let you use two coupons, one on the free item and one on the paid item.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When there's a promo I really make the most of it because if I'd be able to get something for an additional or for free and it just feels like a consolation price, but something you didn't compete nor something you didn't win. It's just like you are rewarded. Like for example those who offer "Buy one take one", or anything like that. I just go with the flow. I only decide once that there's an offer.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Only when the item/product that I would get is useful or convenient to me. When I bought my laptop I actually have no idea that it would come in with a printer and some other freebies, I had to pay a little extra sure but I knew that the printer would be useful so I got it.