When do you decide that's time to buy a new computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by prettycolors • Oct 7, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    For me, computer games are the ones that decide when to buy a new PC. If I can't play the new releases on at least low settings I start saving money for new, more powerful hardware. Not being pretentious with the graphics (playing on low) means that I rarely buy a new pc, but it eventually happens. Right now I can't play most of the newer games from 2014 so it's time for a change.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever buy a new computer if my current one has a problem that can't be fixed anymore, or if repairing it costs more than buying a new one. I only ever use my computer for my work and to access the internet, so it only has to perform well on those levels. Most of the time I wish that I wouldn't need a computer at all, and I am actively working towards the day when I can get rid of it.

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I buy or upgrade my PC when it calls for my job. Since my job requires a lot of computer power kind of like in gaming, I need to keep it up to shape and running smooth every time. If my work begins to slow down because of my computer then it's time to upgrade. I usually base it with games actually, if I can't run a game at full speed then I can't do my job properly so I need to upgrade ASAP.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me buying the decision to get myself a new computer would depend on:

a) The need to get a replacement because the machine no longer does what I want done. The reason could be new programs requiring a faster [more powerful] processor, more RAM and so on.
    b) How outdated the hardware is. If the all parts have been upgraded and performance of the computer is still under par then that would mean it's time to get a replacement for the old machine.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    When the lightening Norse god of Thunder, strikes my computer and completely renders it useless for all time, until Ragnarok presents itself to the world; only then, will I buy a new computer!

People always throw away stuff that can be easily repaired, more so now than ever before. However, I disagree with this human practice, because it diminishes our ability to imagine and create things, which repairing a computer requires of a man or woman to think and do.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy a new computer when my old one is really beyond salvaging. I am not a fan of new gadgets or devices, so I am not compelled to buy new ones every now and then. I do not like wasting money on something especially if the old one can still be used.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with Chiofthenorns...we only get new technology most of the time when our old tech is literally unusable. We're on a tight budget and try to get as much use out of things as possible, so we're not really in a position to go out and get things just for the sake of having the latest model or whatever. I wouldn't really want to anyway, though, for the most part.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our pc's were replaced when they can't work properly anymore, so in my case, they only get replaced when they conk out. I'm not keen on upgrading the pc to be able to play the latest games , since there are lots of older games that I have yet to play yet.

#8Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually I keep using my computers as long as I can until some sort of tragedy strikes, such as the motherboard getting fried or something like that. I have a much harder time justifying purchasing upgrade parts for my computers these days considering how inexpensive a brand new computer is overall. I would hate to drop $150 on more memory for my computer, for example, when I could be putting that towards a whole brand new system that already has the larger amount of memory I want plus everything else on it is brand new and I get a years worth of warranty on it. Whereas if I were to upgrade the memory on my existing computer which is already 2.5 years old and out of warranty, something else could die on me, costing me even more in repairs or the computer might not be salvageable at all.

I am probably going to be on the market for a more beefed up computer some time this year, since I am running into a lot of problems with the new Adobe CC 2014 eating up a lot of memory. I cannot open certain documents if they are too large as it stands right now.

10. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I try to keep my computer until it fails me. I continually backup all my files so I don't need to worry about losing them. If I replace parts on my laptop and problems continue I know that it is time to get a new laptop or take it to be professionally looked at. I had a laptop a few years ago that had all kinds of problems. I got it looked at and it was going to cost hundreds to fix it. I dealt with it for a few more months and just decided to buy a new laptop. The one that I bought has lasted me three years as of right now, and I expect to get a few more out of it.

I'll upgrade my system until that isn't possible anymore, and then I'll get a new one.

11. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    My point expect the fact that I am a gadget freak but keep my horses in control. I won't buy anything unless its of utter necessity and importance. Same is the case with computers/laptop. The one I am using currently is almost 4 years old but still good to go another 2.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only buy new computers when my old ones can't handle it anymore. I would prefer selling them just before they start to get totally outdated just so I could make some money back but most of the time the computer doesn't have much value by then anymore and the effort just is t worth it for me for the small amount I'd be getting in return so I just use them until the end of their life cycle and even then I usually still find some sort of use for them such as a media player for the living room since they still do function and are only being replaced because of the slowness.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We actually have a plan to buy a new computer early next year. First is the outdated operating system of our home computer - it's still running on XP. Second is the monitor which has developed a straight line, a symptom that it will break down soon. The keyboard has been replaced this year. But most of all, some new software couldn't be installed because the processor is 32-bit (most software require 64-bit).

14. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    I use my computer solely for writing purposes, so I don't need that much of an upgrade, to be honest. I change the components and/or the PC within a 5 years time span, never sooner than this. Why bother buying these expensive components if they'll exist in the tower just to gather dust? Doesn't make sense to me. Surely there are people who are making money out of streaming themselves playing games, but I have a different approach to things. :D

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need my computer for work, when the condition of the computer keeps me from doing my job I need a new computer. I am in need of a computer right now. I have two, one keeps freezing so that I can not complete a transaction. The other computer runs hot and will cut off, it does not like videos which is how I get my training.