When do you start thinking about gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by winsomenotions • Mar 8, 2014.

1. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    Whenever a gift giving occasion comes up- a birthday, Christmas, Valentines Day- I never know when the right time is to start planning what to get. Should I start looking a month in advance? 2 months? 2 weeks? It really stumps me. Should I look earlier to see if I can find coupons and deals to save money? What if my recipient buys my gift before I get to give it to them? I would love to know what you guys do in this situation.

2. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I usually start thinking about gifts a month before the holiday. That gives me enough time to plan, and save up enough money to pay for a good gift. I hate doing things on short notice. I like to think to ahead.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends. I usually just keep an eye out for things in general and sometimes I'll notice items that would be "perfect for so 'n' so." If it's near a holiday, then I hold onto it for them. If by chance that person buys the same item and happens to tell me about it, then I can either return the purchased item or give it to someone else!

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think about gifts all year. I don't just wait for somebody's birthday, Christmas or other occasions. I just like to surprise my family and friends whenever I can. They deserve something special every week, even if it is just something really small. Especially the small thoughtful gifts are the ones that will be remembered for a long time.
    When I go shopping and see something that could be useful to someone I love, I just buy it and save it for that special occasion that will come sooner or later. :)

5. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I usually start thinking about gifts way in advanced. It really depends on what kind of gift I plan on getting. I like to save for different things so I'm not taking out of my main money flows.:) Sometimes it's hard for me to come up with ideas too, so it gives me a chance to check out different sales.

LOVE & DEALS,
    DH:cool:

6. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on the occasion, usually it's a couple of weeks before but for Christmas I'll start shopping around a few months before, this allows me to find a few deals that wouldn't be available closer to the date.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Usually when it's already too late and I run from place to place trying to find a proper gift. This results in not so great gifts and extra money spent. If by some miracle I think about a birthday in advance I get to buy a proper present that the person I'm gifting can use and I save some money in the process since I can afford to take take the time and search for the cheaper shops. It's a good idea to shop in advance and stock on nice gifts. Even if the gift is not the best for the person you're giving it to, it's still better than some flowers and other stuff you buy on the fly.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually plan a month or two in advance regarding what gift I will give to someone, especially if the person is close to me. But for the people who aren't that close to me, I'd give them whatever generic gift I can see at the mall, lol.

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I normally start thinking about gifts during those holidays. Normally there is a lot of exceptions so I normally plan ahead much faster not to start having problems when it already time. I think holidays and birthdays are the only days that I can think about gifts. Sometimes someone has to remind me or else I might forget.

#9Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's evil to expect "gifts" (which are so much better when they're NOT expected)---that's why grandparents-etc. call it "spoiling you" when they give you big gifts (they're making you "expect" big payment for no work) ... so I prefer to buy a gift whenever I can get a good deal on something I see that makes me think of someone who could use it.

What comes to mind: I was at CVS one day and saw one of those pill-boxes (with a seperate box for each day of the week); it reminded me of a buddy whose heart-problems were acting-up, who had to go on prescriptions ... so I bought it for him.

#10Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a last-minute shopper for gifts, especially during Christmas season and I realize that this is totally not a good practice. Just because you are buying a lot and you are in the middle of a huge crowd, you have more tendency to actually buy something that's more expensive than normal. Therefore, upon realizing that, I try to really make a plan on when I would be buying gifts. I would make a list and each time I would go to the mall and see something interesting and I have extra money with me, I would buy it and see which person I can give it to. I then store it in a box at home. This way, I am not rushing to buy too many gifts at the same time and it does not feel hurtful to the pocket as well because you are not spending in bulk.

12. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Almost every of these occasions we keep thinking of gifts lol its more like a sign of buying them or through some appropriate source its necessary to be bough so yeah this can be reason behind betterment.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think about gifts all year round. I just don't buy my gifts during special season. I buy whenever I see one that I think fits to someone to be given as a gift. Also I enjoy giving gifts and thinking about them, so I give not just season-specific, but also whenever I see it appropriate like when I give my congratulations, saying my thank you, when I welcome someone and a lot more not just birthdays, weddings, and baptisms. Every occasion I give a gift.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Normally a couple of hours before I'm meant to meet them I'll be in a local supermarket trying to decide if they would prefer a set of bed sheets or a DVD. I hate buying presents for people, I don't like receiving them either and I'm pleased when people don't buy me any, but sadly people get really upset if you don't buy them presents. So I normally nip into a supermarket and pick something up just to stop them moaning.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually start thinking about it very early on, but I have to admit that I don't always act on it as early and I usually even still wait until the last few days or weeks to purchase the gift. My reason behind it is fairly reasonable, though, which is that I prefer to let the idea of my gift sit for a while so I can grasp it much better before buying. Also, I wait for the last few days because I try to gain a good feel of the atmosphere and mood of that current time, whereas if I had bought the gift months in advance, I would have not much choice if I changed my mind later on. Additionally, I buy close to the occasion date because there's some chance that I have to return the gift, and if I buy it months in advance then I wouldn't be able to.

16. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I am always on the lookout for gifts for friends and family so I don't really have a set time frame. Once I bought my Mom's Christmas gift in June and other times on Christmas Eve.

17. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, it depends on who the gift is for. If its for my son then heck, I start thinking about Christmas right after his birthday in March and not to mention, I'll start planning his next birthday too! For my husband, I usually start thinking about gifts a couple months before the occasion. My online work is what pays for these gifts so I have to make sure I start saving in time to actually get what I want. Now, for someone like my nieces and nephews, I usually think about their gifts a few weeks in advance. If we have the money on hand, I will get them a small gift and if we don't then well...I'v never known someone to turn their nose up at a fresh baked batch of cookies!

For Christmas, I try to buy for my son and husband first and then focus on getting for our families. Last year, we made it very easy by getting professional pictures taken and then framing them for everyone. I have no idea what we're going to do this year!

18. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    Ideally I would start thinking about a gift 2 months before, to be able to take my time to think of a gift- and then have enough time to save the money, or enough time to make it. I don't like rushing it, because then I don't get enough good ideas. Sadly I do get rushing a lot, I always forget to think of gifts way before. So now my best gifts are the ones that I make without occasion, just when I have thought of the person.