When to change the water heater

Discussion in Heating started by Gelsemium • May 19, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My water heater (a Junkers) is probably around 30 years old or more. It's been working perfect, apart from some minor maintenance, but this weekend it has started to drip some water... I have a technician going there to check it today, I am wondering if it's the end of it. Do you guys had a similar issue?

2. foodietr

foodietrNew Member

Threads:
    You can change the water heater when the coil inside is burnt or corroded. This happens with constant use as water usually rusts the inner layer of the coil.

I would suggest you contact a repairman and ask him to check if there is any breakage on the inside which needs replacement. If the metal works fine, I suggest you continue using the heater.

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We have a water heater too that is still working perfectly fine but if anything happen to it then I will just call my landlord to fix it. Your water heater is probably now way too old if you have been using it for 30 or more years already.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I have to agree with you guys, it's a good quality one, but maybe it's time has come. Even so I am not changing it just yet, it's still heating the water and some days it doesn't drip, other days it just drips a little, so it's not a major inconvenience. I hope it can regenerate itself, but at the same time I think I am being too optimistic... :)

5. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    You can get a tankless inline water heater for 100 usd. It's cheap and it's on demand hot water. Saves you money because it doesn't constantly make hot water.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I never heard of a tankless inline water heater until now Josh. I was looking online for it and the prices are a little over the one you mention, the cheaper was at $179. I don't get the difference between this and the traditional water heater, can you tell me if there is any?

7. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I've had problems with my water boiler some time ago and mine was also more then 10 years old and it just cracked at one point so I had to replace it like a few years ago and now even this one is making various problems, the heat doesn't shut down automatically anymore, doesn't start either. You have to do it manually, every time I want to have hot water i have to turn the boiler dial up and down manually which is really kinf of a bother and you have to not forget to turn it off also because it will overheat the hell out of the water tank container burst.

A good boiler producer that you can always check out:

I got my last good boiler from them

8. Rick321

Rick321New Member

Threads:
    I would replace a 30 year old water heater even if it worked perfectly. The newer, ENERGY STAR heaters use so much less energy that the payback period is well worth it. This may also be a good time to switch to natural gas if available and you are currently using electricity to heat your water. Natural gas is abundant and should remain a better value for years to come. Electricity will keep climbing as the government has made it their mission to restrict coal which accounts for about 60% of all our energy generation at the present time.

Want to really do something that will save you money in the long run? Get a quote on a solar thermal system. You will be amazed with the current pricing how quickly it will pay for itself and give you virtually free hot water for decades.

A whole home energy audit may find other areas where you have no-brainer replacement items. Refrigerators cost half to run now vs. not very many years ago. That is just one example. There are many places in a typical home where you can upgrade and it actually makes you money instead of costing you money.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    You make some good points there Rick, but I really can't say how much time it would take me to save energy enough to pay for the 200€ I would need to replace my heater. To be honest I really doubt that I could do it, more these modern heaters will never last as long as the one I have now.