When to stop feeding Pond Fish? (Goldfish, Koi)

Discussion in Pets started by minotechonline • Nov 1, 2013.

1. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    Hello, we have a very small pond near my house that we built a few years back. We have a mix of 10 or so Goldfish and Koi. Is there a right date to when you are supposed to stop feeding them and they go into hibernation for the winter? Or is it done by temperature? I never really thought of it until this year though. Maybe someone knows and can advise me though. As of now they're still swimming about even though some nights it is in the low 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in Northeastern U.S.A so it starts getting cold around now. Thanks.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whether you're going to arm yourself with a thermometer or not, I don't know. I got this info on

I don't have much experience with pond fish but there's your answer. You could visit the site for more detailed information.

All the best!

3. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks yeah it seems to be time to stop feeding... the fish seemed disinterested in the food I put out a few days ago so it kind of was obvious that the metabolism is slowed. Anyway, thanks for the response and site was good to have confirmation!