When You Buy From A Consignment Shop Do You Admit It To Friends?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by CherylTorrie • Oct 28, 2015.

1. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I am fond of buying from clothing from consignment shops but there are times that I find a "new to me" item at one and don't really wish to tell everyone where I got it. Do you ever find yourself avoiding the "Where did you get that" question even though you have been complimented on the piece? Most of the items I buy are like new or actually new with the tags on it but sometimes I feel the sting of pride.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Times have changed and people brag about the bargains they get these days. There is no shame in admitting where you got things from. I know friends that sell to these stores because they want some return on their bags or clothes, and often they post on Facebook too. Let go of the pride, because if that's how people judge you, do you really want to be friends with them?

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people have learned how to save a buck. That's why though in the past some people would not be willing to shop at consignments stores nor admit that they bought something there they no longer are they embarrassed to buy from consignment stores and even tell their friends how they happened to stumble into such great deals.

If something I need can be found at a consignment store then I'll get it there any time because there's no need to pay full price when you know how you can save some money.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm actually quite proud about not being a cookie cutter. If someone were to ask me, I'd tell them.. they likely wouldn't be able to find the same piece, it would be an amazing price and when I buy used, I make sure I'm contributing to something I believe in (many second hand places go against that). Mass produced junk, that everyone and their dogs are wearing, is not something to be proud of like a (possibly) one of a kind item that you didn't spend an arm and a leg on. Why be one of millions when you can be one in a million? lol. Or if it's a current trend piece... nothing cool about spending a crap ton of money on unimportant things. If you can get it for less, being ashamed just shows the kind of people we're surrounded by, not that we did anything to be ashamed of. Cookie cutters are boring.. be proud of the little ways you stand apart.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What exactly is a consignment store? Is it basically a big thrift store?

In any case, the majority of my clothes come from the charity/thrift shops. I'm not embarassed about it at all, there's absolutely no reason to be. I just don't have the money to buy new clothes and to be honest, I'd find it more embarassing to admit that I spent my last $50 on some jeans and now I'm broke than I would to to tell people my jeans are second hand.

6. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Don't care. If it saved money, it saved money. In my household we're not even afraid to admit when we've grabbed something from off of someone's front lawn. (Though in fairness, the people who live on my street throw out some of the nicest furniture I've ever seen. I would not consider the lovely oak table with five perfectly good wooden chairs I now own garbage by any stretch, and yet I found it up the street, one dark night...)

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a bit like a nearly new shop. Here in the UK there are lots of designer shops where they sell designer nearly new or 'gently worn' items. Many hard up it girls, housewives, and mistresses sell their handbags, evening gowns and items that don't fit here. The agency keeps a percentage of the cost and if they don't sell it within so many weeks then you collect it or they keep it depending on the terms of the shop. When you bring in an item they will tell you how much they will sell it for and you either accept it or not.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I see! I'd call that a "dress agency" and I did buy a pair of boots from one once. Unworn and still boxed, they were £30. Got home, looked them up online and they had previously retailed for more than £200. So that was a right bargain. They clearly hadn't been worn so I was delighted. No, I'd have no issue at all in telling people they were from that type of store, not at all.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly? Nah, I don't care one hoot what anyone thinks about where I get my stuff. Like Theo said, if they're good friends, they won't judge you on that basis. I mean, they won't judge you PERIOD. Anyone who does, is very shallow and doesn't deserve to have you as a friend. I don't really like charity shops, but it's because I don't like their distinct smell (usually moth balls). Some of my friends don't care and will get most of their clothes from them. I mainly buy from outlet stores and sales, and I make not secret of it :) For us it's not an issue at all.

10. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I used to care as to what people thought of me for purchasing clothing at thrift stores, however this is not the case anymore. As @Theo@Theo stated, many people now will brag about the bargains they have found, and sometimes I am one of these people! I think I would be more ashamed if I had to share with friends that I spent an exorbant amount of money on a piece of clothing I bought. I love sharing the bargains I have found with family and friends, and I also love hearing from others what deals they have found. I think being thrifty is smart! :)

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with telling people where you got items from, no matter where it is (assuming, of course, that it is legal and above board). I actually think that you should be very proud if you manage to get a bargain, as it not only means that you're able to save money, but also that you can do your bit for the planet as well, because not as much is being wasted. It is well worth it in the end, and not something that you should be ashamed of in the slightest.