When you eat out do you order the same thing every time? Or do you prefer to try different dishes?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by pennylane • Sep 27, 2014.

1. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    My roommate is one of those people who has a favorite dish everywhere and orders the same thing every time. She also always goes for the same kind of candy and ice cream. She knows what she likes!

On the other hand, I always try to get something new at a restaurant. If I'm buying ice cream I tend to rotate through flavors. Eating the same thing regularly gets boring for me.

What is your preference?

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm going out to a restaurant, I prefer to get something I like or what I'm in the mood for. On occasion, I'll try something new, but when I'm spending extra money, I want to make sure I get what I want!

That's especially true when I go to Fast Food places. I pretty much get the same thing every time I eat at a fast food place.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can understand getting the same thing when you order just to make sure you will like what you are getting, it is boring to play it safe all the time. Which is worse paying for something you don't like and wasting money or getting the same thing all the time playing it safe. I like to try new things but some foods I will stay away from because I have a nervous stomach and some foods make me sick, like really spicy foods.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    My mom is the same way as your roommate...*always* the same thing and it's like pulling teeth trying to get her to try anything new (even if you know she'll completely love it). I find that kind of thinking a little frustrating, I'm not saying try every single thing on the menu, but how are you going to discover new favorites if you aren't willing to try new things? I try to switch it up a lot of the time. We don't go out to eat very often lately, so I try to be adventurous with my orders when we do :).

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    i try to get something new. for instance, korea restaurant would be good if I like chilli noodles, bolgogi and kimbap. their orders seem to have lots of side dishes from kimchi to boiled onions which i dont eat by the way.

Japanese restaurant would be great if i like eating sushi.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to try out something new everytime I go out. But after trying in the same place for many times, I tend to stick to certain dishes that I find better than others. I am picky about what I eat and find it a big waste of money when I end up eating something that I do not like it. Hence, I think at least twice or thrice before ordering anything. I also try out new restaurants whenever possible.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to always order the same food at my favourite restaurants. It's part of the attraction for me to know exactly what I will be getting. But there are also times when I get adventurous and try something new, yet it doesn't happen all that often as I really look forward to the dishes that I already know and adore.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always like to try something new, but if a place has a dish that is my favorite then I will order it as I know I will enjoy it. Often with pasta dishes I go for my favorite sauce, but I will try other ones. I tend to look at other peoples dishes first before committing to it and how it looks and how the other diners react! Sometimes I will even ask them.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer trying something new, but for some reason I always seem to surround myself with people who are dead set in their ways and only order one specific thing, or will only want to go to certain restaurants instead of trying something new, etc... it's not just takeout food, it's everything they do from movies to music, to vacations, etc... At times I find it kind of frustrating/selfish if it's affecting a larger group of us - such as when several of us want to try out some new restaurant or bar, and there is someone else in the group who refuses to go anywhere but that same old place we always go to.

I love trying out new stuff, be it good or bad, but some people get really bent out of shape if, heaven forbid, they have to try something new and don't like it.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually do just get what I know and want. That is, until I get tired of it, and only then do I start venturing out. Sometimes I'll change it up even if I'm not yet tired of my favorite order, but I hardly would do so just for the sake of it. If I'm in the mood for my usual then that's what I'm going to get even if I've already ordered it a hundred times before. As long as it is really what I want for that moment, then I would try not to feel bad for sticking to my usual.

11. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    It's so funny you raised this topic. My husband jokes with me all of the time when we go out to dinner. He always orders something different and loves to try new things. Me, on the other hand, orders just about the same thing every time!! He thinks it's funny and even tries to persuade me into trying new things. I guess I'm just happy with certain foods and kind of nervous to try new things in case I don't like it. Then I'm stuck. :(
    Funny how we are all so different... glad it's just not me though. :)

Danyel !

12. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's fun to read how we are all so different! Everyone has their little routines and preferences. I like to try new things when eating out but I have other routines I follow weekly and relish in them.

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I always order the same food whenever I eat out at a restaurant/fast food. In each restaurant/fast food I have been to, I have an ultimate favorite dish, and I would often go for that one food every time I'm at that place. I think I'm really faithful to my best picks. ;):D

14. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on my mood. I order the same thing at each restaurant about 50% of the time. There are some restaurants that I go to just for the one special dish I like, and other times we go to other restaurants and I will try something new and exciting. There have only been a couple of times where I have spent the money to eat out, and really did not like the dish I was served.

15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I ALWAYS get something new. I can't lie though this has worked out for the negative quite a few times. I don't regret it. I just try to suit the craziest things to the nicest restaurants. Doing things that way has tended to make my regrets much less.

16. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    There were times when I ordered the same thing but that was because it was my favorite dish. I also like trying different meals when I'm out at a restaurant so I do both. I don't order the same thing all the time though and it depends on what I feel like eating. When I'm at a restaurant I like to splurge a little because I want to enjoy myself and not worry about calories and fat.

17. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I do try different things, but I end up back at the original two things on the menu that I like the next visit to the restaurant. Usually, I end up not liking the new meal I tried. Most of the time I choose based on similar price too.

18. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I like to try different things. With some people that I eat out with (my partner, my daughter, a few of my friends) I try to convince them to order things we all want to try and then we trade plates. I love to be able to taste test a bit of everything.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless I've already tried the other items on the menu at a particular place and did not like them as much, or if the other menu items contain ingredients I don't care for, I'm otherwise always open to trying out new things when I go out to eat. I don't go out to eat very often so it's really one of my only opportunities to try out new food items I otherwise wouldn't bother buying all the ingredients to make at home. For example, I don't know the first thing about selecting or shucking/cleaning raw oysters, but I would be willing to try some at a restaurant.

I know what you mean though, some people are so set in their ways and scarred to try anything different that it becomes kind of frustrating. Even worse is when they won't even try out a new restaurant, and keep insisting you go to the same places over and over again. It's not the end of the world if you try out a new dish and it doesn't knock your socks off, the fun was trying it out in the first place.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really go out to dine much these days. I used to more so when I was a kid, and did not have to pay the bill. But now that I have to, I tend to either order takeout, or find something to eat at home. It's cheaper lol. Sometimes I do feel a bit adventurous, and want to order something that I have not had before, and despite the fact that I don't really have the money to be experimenting, I still do it anyway. Most of the time my hunch that whatever new dish I've picked with be nice, turns out to be correct.