Where Are Your Favorite Roller Coasters?

Discussion in Travel started by hayrake • Mar 6, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I would have asked "where are your favorite theme parks", but I figure for so many of us it's all about the roller coaster. I've lived near to Atlanta for so long that I don't really think of going anywhere other than Six Flags, but I used to love traveling and going to lots of different parks. My favorites, though, always had good coasters.
    That was a long time ago. Most parks only had one good coaster back then. Today parks are multi-coastered and they've gotten to be so extreme. I don't know how they keep coming out with crazier and crazier coasters. It seems like there would be a limit to how crazy they could get before becoming unsafe, but it appears not.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite roller coaster is in Cedar Point, Ohio. It's called, 'The Magnum'. It is now dwarfed by several biger and better roller coasters that the park has built. But since I used to ride that one in my 'glory days' I still loyally state that is my favorite. It goes at lightening speed and there is one giant hill - the first descent, and it looks like you are flying over Lake Erie; one of the Great Lakes of Michigan. (the state that boarders Ohio and the state I was born in.)

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    So far I haven't met a coaster I didn't like, but I have to admit a particular fondness for the old style wood frame roller coasters. Like you, the ones from my youth.:)

4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I like the six flags ride a lot. The one I especially liked was the one I rode on by mistake: eXtreme or simply X.

I didn't really know what I was in for when I first rode it. Before that I had ridden on a couple of roller coasters down the main path. When I was looking for another one, I came upon a narrow path with a sign that just said X. I followed it and fell in line. I didn't know that in this ride, your seats would roll and your feet were freely dangling. It was one of the scariest rides I ever rode on; much much better than the one where you are on your stomach, like how superman flies.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    The Superman
    The Superman ride I'm familiar with, but not the X. It does sound thrilling. Which Six Flags did you ride it at? I'm in Georgia.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From the ones I've been to I prefer Six Flags roller coaster (the one I've been to is near SF in California). I have only been to Six Flags, Disneyland and Universal in LA, so I don't have that big of an idea of other ones. My boyfriend is in Orlando now and Busch Gardens seems like it has awesome rides, so I'm a bit jealous. But I haven't been there so I can't say those are my favorites.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are lots of roller coasters at Universal Studios but I'd rather go to Tokyo Disneyland, where you can not only enjoy the rides but also enjoy a Fantasia-themed performance starring just about every Disney character in the list. I'm a bit scared of roller coasters so I tend to avoid them altogether. The Ferris Wheel is more tolerable, though.

8. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I went to the one in California, Valencia I think, the magic mountain one. There's also one in Vallejo but I don't know if they have the eXtreme there. Anyway, you have to try it if you're into the really wild ones. I rode it not expecting much; I'd already ridden a lot by that time. Boy was I pleasantly surprised.

9. Determined2014

Determined2014New Member

Threads:
    Same here I love the magnum, at Cedar Point in Ohio, normaly drive from Michigan just to go and enjoy that reide, I must say though it terrifies me , I guess I do it for the thrill, because when I get there, I am normally scared to get on it, but once I do it I feel good from the thrill!

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Um, I am too chicken to go on any of those things lol The most exciting thing I'll go on is the big wheel. I'm sorry but i'm way too scared, I might empty my stomach!

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of roller coasters, in the least. When I was a lot younger, I used to be able to go on them without a problem, and I would really enjoy them. But after my stomach operation, I developed a very very sensitive stomach. Even the slightest humps in the road make me feel like I need to throw up, and my stomach turns. Roller coasters are not longer for me.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds like you named yourself well. You must be determined if you ride something that scares you initially just because you know you'll feel good when it's over.:)

Oh, gosh. Sorry about that for you. I hate the thought of not being able to do something I really like to do because of health issues. I guess you have to tell people to drive kind of slowly, too, in hilly areas.

#12Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you, but the though of roller coasters now, make me feel all upside down inside, which makes me feel like I am not missing anything? It;s hard for me to remember what I liked about them so much, prior to the operation lol. My friends and family purposely speed up when it comes to hilly areas, just to see me clutch my stomach and wince lol. They are evil.

14. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, me too (fear factor). Last year I rode it and was so sore and stiff afterwards. I think I was too tense as I was riding it. You could see the difference in the photos I took when I was younger and then the ones I took this time. I still enjoyed it but I was way more afraid than I used to be. I guess that comes with age - fearing for your life - but when you are young...fearless!

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    lol...Grimace. Well, I can imagine that's probably what would happen to me, too. No way would would the folks in my life be able to resist picking where they can. I'm glad you don't feel like you miss out on much. Roller coasters are just a bitty thing anyway. There are so many more things to see and do.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not into roller coasters but I like the one at Hershey Park. I forget what it's called but it's the most mild one. The others are too scary for me. The rides that I like are the water rides.

17. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I love rollercoasters but I have not been on one in a little while. Here are my favorite roller coasters and if you are brave you can give them a ride as soon as you can
    1) Maverick – Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH
    2) The Beast – King’s Island, Mason, OH
    3) Dueling Dragons (Dragon Challenge) – Islands of Adventure, Orlando, FL
    4)Hydra – Dorney Park, Allentown, PA
    5) Nitro – Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ

18. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You've been on some of the Ohio coasters. Have you seen this one in person? I've never seen one I wouldn't ride, but I don't know...this might be the one.

19. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm scared of heights, so I don't really ride roller coasters, because it is absolutely terrifying. I feel like such a baby admitting it, but it's true! Also, unfortunately, it makes amusement parks less fun in general, since roller coasters are the main attraction.

20. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You're right about that. The coasters a are without a doubt the main attraction, so I imagine you wouldn't have all that much fun.
    Don't let it get to you that you find them terrifying. A lot of people do and I'm sure you have plenty of things that you do enjoy.