Where can I buy an old photo program, preferably new?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by primalclaws1974 • Nov 26, 2014.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    I am looking for a CD set that I used a long time ago. It was made by Microsoft. It was called Picture It! 99. It was a software editing program. I know there are a lot of newer applications, but I really like the interface and how user-friendly this program is. As far as I can tell, the series was discontinued. I don't care for the next program Microsoft made. I would like this to be a new set, if at all possible. That might be a tall order considering it's fifteen years old.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's very little chance that you're going to find that program brand new. Likewise, you might run into compatibility issues with the program not running properly on newer computers with newer operating systems. Chances are high that you can find the program through torrenting sites and elsewhere for download, but finding a new CD of such an old program is going to prove nearly impossible. I'd check eBay, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I did a quick search on Amazon and it appears there are people selling it on there, but it's pretty expensive at $34.99, not to mention the shipping costs. I've also read on some forums, dating back to 2010 where people were able to get this working on Windows 7 in compatibility mode, but there were still some bugs/errors.

I would strongly advise you to try out some of the freeware image editors. Here is a link to some of the best options currently:

One of my other big concerns beside compatibility, would be with file sizes. Picture It! 99 is probably not designed to work with the very large file sizes of images coming from most digital cameras these days. One RAW image is bigger than most hard drives were back in those days.

4. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    Ohiotom76, thank you for looking up the cost of the program. I don't use Amazon, so I didn't think to look there. The program was over $50.00 when new. Is that not odd how that works? You would think electronic items would have been cheaper back then. I can remember Atari games being $30.00 thirty years ago!
    You make some valid points about compatibility. The last system I put it on before it quit working on me was Windows XP. I suppose I could theoretically downsize the size of my photos, but what's the point of having 21 megapixels if you are not going to use them? I guess my only recourse is to use it on an older system, with a downgraded camera, or start looking for newer software. Yeah, that was a bit of a joke. Thanks for the help!