Where can you buy cheap quality fruit and vegetables in the summer?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • May 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    This summer, I want to eat a more healthy. Where can I find cheap, but quality fruit and vegetables? Other than fruit stands and Dollar Tree's, I am not sure where to look. I definitely can't find a grocer who offers fruit and vegetables at a cut rate.

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Farmer's markets for sure! I love buying locally-grown, fresh produce for much less than I'd spend at a store. It feels good to help out local farmers, while also eating healthier. Plus it's a great way to save!

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It's tough to get cheap AND quality in one fail swoop. I agree with the post above: I go Farmer's Market. I like to get things from the closest source I can get them from. If I was more patient I would go to the farms myself. Alas, I am not.

The issue you might have with this option is that it can get pricey at a Farmer's Market if you're not careful. The best thing I do to circumvent cost issues is talk to the sellers. Often times they have an option where you can pay a flat rate for whatever they have in season for said season. This way you can get an eclectic mix of items for a reasonable price and it's fresh.

4. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Our dollar stores don't sell fresh produce...I wish they did, though! Otherwise, I just check out produce stands and farmer's markets -- I love their fresh produce. Their prices are quite good as well. Sometimes the grocery stores have good deals if you watch the sales ads and buy what's on sale, but the quality isn't always as great.