Where Do You Buy Your Eyeglasses?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by hayrake • Feb 3, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    So far, I've only had to buy two pairs of Eyeglasses in my life. Both have come from the Walmart Vision Center. I've been very satisfied with them, but I realize there are a lot of other options out there and this is the only one I've tried. Where do you buy yours?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's this local relatively unknown but talented family of optometrists in my hometown. They run a few decent shops around the city. I go to one of these shops to buy a pair of eyeglasses whenever the pair I'm wearing breaks. I'm very clumsy so my glasses don't last a year without getting damaged. Their shop's rates are cheap too and the frame designs are cool albeit a bit traditional.

3. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I have bought my last pair of glasses at Walmart Vision Center, too. They are a lot cheaper than most of the other optometrists in my city and the glasses are great. I can't see any reason, why I wouldn't continue buying them from Walmart when needed.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use prescription glasses, so the only thing I ever bought were sunglasses. I actually have bought several in my life! I prefer to buy them at a department store like Macy's, if I'm looking for affordable - either somewhere like Target and Walmart or if I'm looking for designer brand without spending a lot, I really like Marshall's . However the last pair of sunglasses I got, a pair from Michael Kors, I bought it from an online store. You can usually find better deals that way.

5. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    For the first time ever, I bought glasses on Zenni optical... I usually pay about $400 for glasses at an optometrist - Bifocal, progressive with lens coatings and frames - but I got all of that plus some clip on sunglasses for $90!

It definitely wasn't quick - took weeks to get them, and they even got lost on the way to my place. For a couple of days I was cursing the company... but when they showed up, I was really happy... and still am with saving $300...

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family also purchases their glasses from Zenni. I have put my order in but have not yet activated the order. I have one item they may not be able to fill, I need to go ahead an order these glasses before the prescript expires. My daughter likes all of the fashions she can get so much she has purchased three sets of glasses.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Before buying my first pair of glasses, I looked into Zenni. I guess I didn't feel like I knew enough to be able to order from them with confidence--like how to measure the distance between pupils accurately, etc. Now, though, I could do it, I'm sure; and I'm glad to hear good things about them because I just might go that route next time.

8. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Up until a few years I go I went to a local optometric shop. Then, I started going to Visionworks, and I am somewhat content with them. I feel like their selection is limited. I have actually been wondering about buying prescription glasses online. I am not sure how expensive and easy that would be, though. Hopefully I can find some answers here!

9. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of Zenni, but it sounds like a great way to save on glasses. I have spent $300 and more on eye glasses. Currently, I could really use a new pair of eyeglasses. This website is definitely worth me looking into. Those that have purchased eyeglasses from Zenni how were you able to decide if they would look good on you or if they are the right fit. I think that is the reason I never purchased eye glasses online. I am fearful I will not like them.

10. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I am a senior citizen on a local social security income. My Medicare coverage does not include vision. I discovered that my local Target optical shop offers free eye exams and frames/lenses to low income people. They will do an exam and glasses every two years. However; because I am diabetic I can get my eyes taken care of once a year. They dialate eyes and do a very thorough exam. Plus I am happy with the selection of free frames they have available to choose from.

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! Good on Target. I've never been crazy about Target stores but that's a remarkably nice thing for them to do. I imagine most people are not aware of it, so thanks for posting.:)

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually dont go to Target very often either. It seems like they have a higher price than Walmart for the same item, plus, we do not live very close to a Target.
    Since I am also a low-income senior, I think that checking out Target for an exam and eyeglasses is an excellent idea, and thanks for the good recommendation, @joycemcgregor@joycemcgregor !
    My decent glasses got ruined several years ago, and I have just been getting by with reading glasses from Dollar Tree.

13. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I buy them from sears, walmart, or anywhere who has a cheap special when I need a new pair. My current pair is pretty old and I don't need great glasses because I rarely wear them. I wear my contacts 99% of the time and get them online at america lens but I NEED to have backup glasses because my vision is REALLY bad.

14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I go to a Vision Works office at my local mall. I usually wear contacts, but when I need glasses I go there too. They are the only eye doctor in my area that I know of that accepts my insurance. The staff is also nice and takes walk ins so it works for me.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Ugh. I wish I'd seen this thread last week!

I just spent $250 on new glasses and thought I got a pretty good deal.... which it is, compared to spending $400 or more... I could've gotten them even cheaper at Zenni now that I'm looking, though.

16. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I rarely actually buy anything at Target because of their prices. But the eyeglass deal is just to good to pass up. When I do go in, I do cruise the grocery aisles because they do have some good mark downs at the ends of the aisles on occasion. I am just real careful about what I do get. They used to have some really good sugar-free candy for us diabetics, but now they carry very little.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Local optimetrist centre. Whoever has the best prices to goods ratio, I guess. Although lately we've all been using the same one, as we get discount related to a field of work one of my family members is working in, so that's always nice.

18. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get mine from a local optician too. My workplace offers free testing and makes a contribution towards the cost of your glasses if you need them primarily for VDU work. This means that the local guy costs me the same as the discounters so I'd rather give him the money.

19. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I believe in supporting the local guy, too, whenever possible for whatever comes up. Where I'm at it seems like there are far too few local guys in any business. There are still some, but mostly the big bad boys have taken over pretty much everything you can think of.