Where do you do your grocery shopping?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by roxybalboa • Oct 9, 2012.

1. roxybalboa

roxybalboaNew Member

Threads:
    I generally shop at Asda, however I will often go to little independent shops too as they are sometimes cheaper.
    We have a frozen food place near us that sell things a lot cheaper than the supermarkets and the branding is the same. No short dates.

I watched a programme once that stated places like The Pound Shop, bulk buy from big retailers who have over ordered a product, at a discounted price.

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I usually find all of the best prices and selections at Super Walmart. Combining this with their price matching and my coupons, its a great savings all together.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I go to my local supermarket because their sales are always huge savings, and the nearby fairway (organic food market) for the things they don't carry in the supermarket.

4. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Because I have a bad back, I usually order my groceries from a site called Netgrocer which is affilated with Shopright. They deliver to the door, my meats I obtain from Ohama Steaks, which offers sales on items, and they deliver as well.

5. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I usually shop at our Super Center Walmart. I love the prices and they are really good about comparing prices from other local grocery stores. I can find everything I need at our Walmart which also helps besides the great prices.

6. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Sam's Club. There are a few things that Sam's isn't always cheaper with, likes juices, etc. I get those extra things from Wal Mart.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    When I'm in the UK, I use LIDL and Aldi for the bulk of my shopping. I do the same in Spain. For the top up stuff, I usually find Morrisons cheaper for the kind of things I buy. Lots of people talk up Asda, but I've never found them that cheap for my personal shopping list. I like to get frozen foods from Farmfoods, if I'm anywhere near one - they have some great offers. The Co-Op also has some good deals.

I tend to call in the various supermarkets in passing to see what's on offer. I'm quite disciplined, and I won't fill the cart - I just buy the offers I know I will use.

8. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the small chain groceries, like Aldi or Sav a Lot. I think they have the lowest overall prices, and I can get in and out fast. I buy a few things at a locally owed organic grocery. I like browsing in there just to see what I can find.

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Trader Joe's is my favorite, with Whole Paycheck coming in second. I also like Fresh and Easy and Sprouts. What I look for are uniqueness in selection, customer service and of course, low prices.

10. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I do the majority of my grocery shopping at Aldi. An Aldi store was built about a year ago in my area and my first shopping trip there felt like a huge accomplishment for me. My usual $100 grocery trip was cut down nearly half of that cost. Aldi has so many good deals, specifically on bread (though it expires quickly), spaghetti ingredients, snacks, chips, eggs, yogurt and peanut butter. These are some of my Aldi favorites because if I were to buy them elsewhere I would be paying double.

However, I rarely buy my meat at Aldi. I'm not sure if it's just my specific local Aldi store or if it's like this everywhere but the last few times I've bought meat from Aldi (fish and poultry), the food looked strange as soon as I took it out of the packaging. The fish fillets just looked odd, kind of old or contaminated. The poultry looked like it had a gray tone to it's color. Needless to say, I didn't eat the meats.

I buy all of my meats from Walmart. I've never had any problems with the meat from Walmart and if you buy in bulk quantities it's really not that expensive.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I try to get to Costco every few months and stock up, but in between that we go with our favorite of the stores closest to us...so we alternate between Safeway, Harris Teeter and occasionally whole foods, pending what specials they have going on. During the Summer and Autumn, we end up getting a lot of our produce from the Farmer's market, though.

12. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I'll go to Hannafords, Price Chopper or Walmart, it depends what I need/what specials there are and so forth.