Where Do You Get Your Hair Cut?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Rosyrain • Jul 18, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Today I visited Master Cuts because I was desperate to get about 4 inches chopped off and it was quick and convenient. Many people do not like the chain salons, but my stylist did a good job, and I actually bought some conditioning balm that was on sale. Where do you like to get your hair cut?

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I get my hair cut at Supercuts, and I always go to the same location because they know me there, haha. I’ll admit there have been times when my hair has come out better than other times, but I’ve never had a disastrous cut. And most of the time it comes out awesome. I get complimented quite often, and everyone’s always surprised when I tell them I go to a chain salon. Overall I would say it’s good value for money.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I actually go to reputable salons in our country. Salons here are quite a lot, there are the upper expensive types and then there are the lower cheaper types. I tend to go for the upper expensive types as they cut my wavy hair better than the cheaper salons.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when having weird haircuts was trendy and, what better way to having a weird haircut that doing it yourself?

And here you got me trimming my hair without knowing exactly what I was doing, but loved the resulting hairstyle then.

After such experience, I have done myself all my haircuts, but improving overtime on how to get them done, and now with the aid with two big mirrors to help with the back haircut.

5. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer privately owned salons with a great reputation. I have went to the chain ones before and I have had some pretty bad haircuts. There was one time I went and I had hair way past by shoulder. I wanted to layered. Well the girl kept cutting and messing up and trying to fix it. By the time I got out of there I had a pixie cut. I never cried so much. I know it is only hair and it will grow back but I don't look good with short hair. Other times it has been cut uneven. Just not a good thing so now I stick with reputable hairstylist and I love it every time.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know, getting a hair cut for me has always been a nightmare ever since leaving my hometown, where I had the best hairdresser that I trusted so much. I always went to different salons but never got one I fully trusted, so I always changed. However my last couple haircuts I went to this cheap salon inside a huge supermarket close to my work, and guys... the haircut was amazing both times. I don't plan on leaving.
    So to me, when it comes to hairdressers and salons, expensive is not always better. I would say get your research done, and try affordable salons as well. It's something you can save up on!

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The results you get at chain salons are far less predictable than with an actual salon, so I stick to a single hair stylist, which I've been doing for almost two years now. I pay about $25 per haircut, which is somewhat high for a guy, but I'm not averse to paying a little extra for quality haircuts every time. I've had far too many problems at chain salons to trust them ever again, even in the name of saving a few bucks each time I go in.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who is a hairdresser, so I am lucky that she does my hair for free. I am a writer, and I offer my services to her by creating her monthly newsletter, so all in all we spend the same amount of time doing free work for each other. I find that it works very well indeed, and we both manage to save each other a little bit of money that we would otherwise have had to spend.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm just getting a trim, I go to a cheap chain salon - supercuts, walmart, whatever. If I'm doing a major style change or dye or anything, I go to a beauty school and let the students do it. It's cheaper than a nice salon but still uses good quality products. I'm pretty laid back about my appearance though so if there's a minor issue (one interesting color, one time shorter than I prefer) I just shrug it off as "it grows back" and don't worry about it.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter is an instructor at the local hair school. I go there to get my hair cut when I need one. The price is reduced for most people but I get mine for free. Just leave a good tip for the student that gets to use me to get hands on experience.

11. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Once in a blue moon I will go to a local salon and have it professionally done but usually I just have my boyfriend do it. I have very long, thick hair and stylists usually charge me at least $35 for a cut which just seems ridiculous to me because I never get anything fancy.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been sporting a buzz cut since the late 90's so I stopped going to barbers/salon's to get my hair cut about 15 years ago. Prior to that I would mainly go to places like Master Cuts (or whatever other names they go by, there's a few), but as others noted on here, it was often hit or miss. They sometimes couldn't even get a plain old buzz cut done properly - they would screw up my hairline, cutting it too high up the back of my neck, or making it crooked, or not getting my sideburns level with each other... I mean, this isn't that hard. Another problem was they were too lazy to fade between the different attachment sizes on the clippers - I would want 1/4" on the top and the straight clipper blades on the sides and back.

They would also make remarks about me if I came in too often to get my hair trimmed - but I liked to get my hair trimmed every 3 weeks or so. Yes it may still be technically "short", but after a few weeks it would grow out to a point where it wasn't long enough to comb down, but it would stick out and look all frizzy and unkempt.

I eventually just broke down and bought my own set of clippers and taught myself how to do it myself. It was a little tricky at first, especially trying to cut your hair backwards, looking through a handheld mirror with your other hand. But eventually I got the hang of it and became very good at it. I can give myself better cuts now than I ever got at the salons.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a unisex beauty parlor in the other block, so near us that I only walk my way. The owner is Emma, an amiable widow who has so many stories to tell. She has a beautician for the hair, a manicurist and also a foot spa therapist plus a barber for the male customers. The parlor is air conditioned and what's really nice are the stories that Emma tells... all about the neighborhood. Hahahaaa.