Where do you grow your plants?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ozadin • Aug 14, 2013.

1. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I live in an apartment, which is usually very difficult since I can't grow more than three or four plants. I don't have a chance to grow fruits or vegetables which is the downside of living in an apartment. But, that doesn't stop me from growing plants, I still water them everyday, and care for them very frequently. It's almost the same as having a backyard garden.

I keep my four potted plants near the windows where I live. It receives decent sunlight because of the placement, and I haven't seen any signs of wilting, or plants dying which is great! Some leaves are growing too far which is difficult to keep Neat and tidy at times. Overall, they are growing pretty decently, and it's mostly the same as growing it in the garden.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

There are some fruit and veggie plants you can buy that are indoor plants and hang just like regular plants I got my mom some last year for christmas

3. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I also live in an apartment so not a lot of room for growing plants. We do have a little balcony so we sometimes grow some flowers out there. I agree with the above poster that you can get some hanging vegetable and fruit plants so you can grow them indoors. I know I have seen tomato plants and I believe strawberry plants as well. I've never tried either of them but maybe I should. Unfortunately with the direction our windows face and the trees outside we don't really get a lot of sunlight.

4. JenVarsity

JenVarsityMember

Threads:
    There are several ways you could attempt to grow fruits and veggies in an apartment setting.

I have several friends that have turned their patio and most of their apartment into a greenhouse.

Pallets serve well if you have space enough to set one up on a wall or patio. You can wrap the pallet with weed paper so it holds dirt and you can plant anywhere from one to 7 different plants in each pallet (depending on the size and number of lat spaces you have.)

I actually use pallets outside for my strawberries. It works wonders, especially since I hate pulling weeds.

Good luck!

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in an apartment that's at ground level, attached to a house, so I just have my potted plants outside the kitchen door sitting on the concrete patio.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a very large garden at our old home but when we moved, I decided I needed to downsize my gardening. I currently grow salad veggies in large containers on my back deck and herbs on my kitchen window sill. I still have all of my favorites but without all the work! I think the most difficult part of container gardening has been figuring out fertilizing for a variety of plants that are all in the same container. I am trying to just add a little compost each week and so far it seems to be the perfect solution.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have cats, so any indoor plants I have are either in bathrooms, on a wall or hanging from the ceiling so they don't eat them.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my plants are outdoors. I just don't have enough space inside or places to sit plants where they can get enough light. Also, I get busy sometimes and forget to water them, so at least they stand a better chance of survival outdoors. I also have a lot more space for plants outside so it works.

9. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    You can always have a container garden with multiple plants in them. You can add a rack planter to your the rail on your patio if you have one. You can also grow plants in front of a sunlite window. However you do it, best wishes.

10. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    Most plants need a lot of sun in order to grow well. There are some plants that don't need as much sun. That may be better for indoor plants. Balconies, if they get direct sunlight, can be a great place for plants to grow. Another idea is to look for a community garden. There are several places in our city where you can get a plot of garden in or near a park. Then you can grow plants there. Churches and parks are the most common place to find community gardens. But I have seen owners with unused land convert them to a community garden. Then they don't have to mow and keep it up, and neighbors can grow plants.

11. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I am lucky as I live in a duplex and have a separate yard. I grow a full garden (the people before grew weeds) and the Landlord is happy and I get so many veggies I can share with the whole block. If you have a patio, yes you can do the hanging plants but if you like squash (of any variety) get a large planter and go for it. High yield and easy to grow. You can also get other container plants like certain tomatoes and definitely parsley and herbs.

12. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    Well i have a small garden across the patio in my house. It is a two bedroom, 1 hall house and it is pretty nice out here. I grow carrots and tomato's basically.

13. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    We moved to a new house and I now have a small garden at the back of the house. I'm happy because I now have a decent place for my plants. Most of my plants are roses and orchids. I love flowers. I have different colors. I also want to put some vegetables on the other corner, but I'm still thinking what to plant.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have our own home and we live in a tropical country, so it's quite easy to grow our own plants since we also have a spacious front and back yard. My dad is quite fond of plants, so you will see varied plants and flowers in our yard, and some plants he prefers to keep in flower pots.