Where To Start Looking For A Wedding Dress?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by isabbbela • Sep 26, 2015.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got engaged this Thursday!!!! We plan on getting married only at the end of 2017, but still the first thing that come into my mind is: where to find a dress!
    I don't want to find bargain wedding dresses, I plan on paying a good penny for my dream dress, but still o can't afford anything extravagant.
    Where can I go to start looking?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never bought one but I just came by to say that I once came across a show on tv where they featured a site where you could rent one. I didn't remember the name because I wasn't personally looking for one but I'm sure there are one or two out there if you search for it. The only problem is that it's a rental, and from what I understand brides usually don't fancy the thought of renting gowns, but if you're one of the few who are part of the exception then maybe it's worth looking into for you. Good luck and congratulations.

3. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Yay how exciting! I shopped for wedding dresses online and found an amazing website. It's called jjshouse.com. They have beautiful dresses for amazing prices. You can even read reviews too. They're legitimate. I know their prices might shock you with how inexpensive they are, but that's great! It's good for those of us who can't afford to spend that much but still want an awesome dress. A lot of people write on their reviews that they received the dress and it was in perfect condition, and I'm pretty sure if you change your mind or want to change something about your order they're very lenient. Check it out! I'm sure you'll be pleased.

4. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Congrats! I'm also engaged. I just said yes to a dress too! I would call local boutiques and see what their price range it. Also check out chain stores like David's bridal. It's a good idea to try on a lot of dresses. I thought I wanted a certain style and went with a completely different style.

5. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    Congrats! I'm engaged as well haven't started dress shopping yet but I'm excited to do so. I'm planning on trying big chain stores first like David's bridal and then check out smaller boutique stores. I have an idea of the style I want and I know exactly how much I'm willing to spend.
    I've also been using theknot.com to look for near by boutiques as well as venues, photographers etc. It's a great site that i promise will come in handy. Have fun and congratulations again!

6. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Congratulations on your engagement! When I got married 5 years ago, I started looking at wedding dresses online and in bridal magazines. I had a style in mind that I wanted, however, when I went to try on wedding dresses, I found that the style I had in mind was not for me or my body type at all! Luckily my mom was shopping with me, and she had picked out a dress for me to try on that was completely different than the ones I was initially interested in. I'm glad I tried it on, because it ended up being the perfect dress for me! Bottom line, keep your options open, and keep an open mind. You never know what's going to look good on you until you actually start trying on dresses.

I found my wedding dress at a thrift store with the tags still on it. A local bridal shop had gone out of business and had donated all of their bridal gowns. My dress cost $50, and it was a brand new, high quality dress! It looked great and served its purpose. I have also gone wedding dress shopping with friends who have spent oodles of money on gowns, so, to each their own. Shop at a variety of stores to find the best deal, and if it is a locally owned bridal shop, feel free to haggle a little bit for the price you want. My friend did this and was able to save a couple hundred plus get a veil thrown into the deal.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Congratulations all of you that got engaged! My cousin got engaged too and is planning to be married in May of next year. I didn't get engaged like some of you, but I'm not giving up hope even at my age (61), so I do look and dream. One of the sites that's got a $99 wedding gown is

. Good luck and have fun while you're choosing a gown or dress for your wedding. There's cyber Monday too, but I don't know if there will be any wedding gowns or dresses on cyber Monday.

8. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Wow $50 is a great deal! Yes, I forgot to mention. Definitely look online (maybe pintrest) and in bridal magazines. However, I found that a lot of the dresses in the magazines were very similar to one another. I follow a lot of bridal places on pintrest just to get an idea of the styles I like. I found that when I looked for wedding dresses the veil was much more expensive then I thought it was going to be. I'd also recommend signing up for theknot.com. They will provide a list of recommended vendors and tell you what you should be doing xx amount of month's before your wedding. This is such an exciting time!
    I also, found that if you sign up for a lot of places' mailing list they will send you coupon codes via email. This helps a lot especially if you aren't on a time crunch.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love looking on Pinterest for ideas of styles, you may see something on Pinterest that you like and if you have a seamstress they would be able to recreate something similar to what you saw or create a brand new dress just for you. You could also get a previously owned dress and make it new again by just using the material to make a all new dress.