Where were you when?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Aug 12, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ok, this could end up aging some of us lol, but I love these "where were you when" questions. I'll only ask a couple and let others jump in with events we can all relate to depending on when/where we were born. So if you can think of others, just add them below and let us know where you were :)

Where were you when:

JFK was shot?

(I wasn't born yet)

The Challenger exploded?

I was at school. It felt like the whole world was watching. We stopped everything to bring televisions into our classrooms and watch. We were so excited about a teacher being on board. It didn't register right away, what had just happened.. but shock quickly turned into grief all over the school, it was kind of a scary day for us little ones.

And of course... 9/11?

I was snuggling with my oldest, my only child at the time.. we were watching the old Spiderman cartoon lol, our fave. My girlfriend called.. she was suddenly shocked, said "omg!" and told me to turn to whatever she was watching. Then I watched as the second plane hit it's target. Quietest day of my life. Leaving my home, it seemed everyone was in a daze, like zombies. So so sad.

Any others?

#1Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When 9/11 happened, I was a young mother making breakfast for my baby at my old apartment in Miami, and saw the first plane crash on the news. At first I thought it was an accident, until the second plane crashed into the other tower. When the Challenger crash happened, I was in elementary school.

3. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I was in my fifth grade class when 9/11 happened. I was only 10 years old so I was really confused when they told us what happened and didn't fully understand until I got home and talked to my parents. I didn't understand that someone used planes as weapons because it's so cruel and my young brain didn't get that. I wasn't born when JFK was shot or when the Challenger crashed.

4. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't born yet when JFC was shot, was a baby when the challenger exploded and I was in high school when the attacks happened.

Where were you when the Oklahoma City bombings took place?

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    95 wasn't it? 96? I was likely partying or sleeping it off, I have no idea lol. I do vaguely remember the news though (and obviously learned all about it in the coming days).. so sad.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I was not born yet when JFK was shot. When the Challenger exploded I was in grade school and the teachers brought TVS into the classrooms so that we could watch the news coverage. When 9/11 happened, I was sitting in the living room with my mom. I had just moved back to Washington , and I remember that I was holding a white coffee mug when the news came on TV. My dad was in the bathroom getting ready for work. That was a scary day for us all.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    JFK I was in first grade. I don/t remember much about it. The challenger, I was at work. I was just coming in or out of the restroom at the time and someone told me. It was pretty shocking. 9/11, I was teaching in a school at the time, and one of the other teachers came in and told us. A friend of mine from another part of the building came over since we had TV's. We put it on as soon as we could.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Wasn't born until the end of the 60s and I don't remember Challenger but 9/11 will always stick with me. I was supposed to go to a job assignment but it was termed the day before and it was an aerospace company. That morning, I was up listening to the Howard Stern show and it sounded like he was viewing this as it was happening. So it was really weird to hear him shift gears from lusting after hot women to reporting a crisis that not only affected NYC but the world. If I remember correctly, the show went into overtime to console listeners affected by the tragedy.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:When JFK was shot I was in elementary school. When the Challenger exploded I was at work. When 9/11 happened it was early morning here in Hawaii and I had just gotten up when I entered the living room and my Mother was watching the local news...breaking news came on with the horrific sight of a plane heading straight for the Twin Towers and I stood there and was transfixed for a few seconds and the news caster was showing the whole tragic incident live. I was at home getting ready for college that day. In a few days there was a funeral of sorts of an alum who perished in the plane that went down before it was being forced to hit the Pentagon I believe. It was so sad...the funeral was on a Saturday when I usually go to the computer lab for I don't have a computer of my own and I slowly put out my cigarette when I saw the procession for the funeral and held my hand over my heart. It was all very sad days.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It did effect the world.. I'm in Canada and again, it was the quietest day of my life. Everywhere I went that day, everyone and everything was just silent. Hardly anyone speaking, long faces, far less people out and about. I'll never forget it. Very sad day.