Which Bank Are You With?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by collinsexton • Sep 21, 2013.

1. collinsexton

collinsextonNew Member

Threads:
    What bank are you with, and why did you choose them? Is there a branch in your area? I used to have Chase, but ended up moving to PNC Bank after realizing that I couldn't deposit checks unless I traveled out of town.

2. fishbowl

fishbowlNew Member

Threads:
    To my chagrin I am a part of TD Canada Trust. I have a chequing and a savings account, neither of which I use often since I have no job. Their monthly fees and scores of hidden expenses have me at my wit's end. I am very close to uprooting my account and moving to a credit union. As a matter of fact, I don't know why I still use it. Anything they can offer me can outright be beat by VanCity in quality of service and cost of upkeep.

3. polybus

polybusNew Member

Threads:
    I also have most of my accounts at TD Canada Trust. For the most part I am happy with them. I have to keep a large sum of money in my account at all times in order to not have to pay any monthly fees and that is annoying, but I least I do not have to pay any fees. I also get the yearly fees for my Visa travel points card paid for free for having this account. We do not have a whole lot of choice for banks in Canada, I guess TD is as good as the other big banks at least.

4. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I'm with Bank of America. I'm pretty pleased with them. They have no minimum balance, and they don't charge a monthly maintenance fee. That's practically unheard of with the local banks where I live. They also have really good customer service, which I'm very big on. I'm very pleased with them.

5. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with Santander. At the time they were the closest branch and now I have a good student account with them.

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I use SEFCU, which is a credit union in my area. I really like it there.

7. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I am with Victoria Mutual Building Society in my country Jamaica. It's a building society and a bank, and I have no problems with them so far. I like the fact that they don't charge a lot of monthly fees. I don't charge any fee at all if you use their debit card to withdraw or add money. I am really grateful for that. I love my bank.

8. Flonkerton

FlonkertonNew Member

Threads:
    I've done a lot of traveling, so I've got too many bank accounts. My main bank account is a checking account at Bank of America, but I've got an account at NatWest in London from when I did a working holiday there, two bank accounts in Japan from when I was working there, and one in Korea where I am now. There's a little bit of money in the account in London but not enough for them to transfer it, but I had the good sense to at least clean out my Japanese bank accounts before I left there.

9. glitter9

glitter9New Member

Threads:
    I am with Citibank and so far I have no issues with them. I have direct deposit, and also have been able to secure a small loan when I needed one a while back. I am in the process of moving, and will transfer all my info from one Citibank to the next.

10. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I have an HDFC Bank savings account and an SBI account. Never had an issue with either of them, but HDFC definitely offers better interest rates than most banks here, so that is a plus there.

11. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have Bank of America. I didn't have a great experience with them because they required me to have a minimum amount in the checking account. I find they do have good customer service, but I didn't continue their membership due to the extra fees they charged on me.

12. Ricardo187

Ricardo187New Member

Threads:
    I'm with CIC bank. It's a french bank so I'm not sure wether theyhave international agencies or not. I like the service so far and there are low fees on everything. The cards are free, just like the uncovered 300 euros credit limit if the account isn't negative for more than 15 days.

13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have been Citibank client for over 20 years and they have never disappointed me.

They offer a variety of products and they were among the first financial institutions providing online banking beside the automated phone service that was the main reason why I went with them for the first time; having the ability to manage my personal finances and investments over the phone, before the Internet era.

I have thought of Wells Fargo as a second option, but I'm unsure still.

14. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    Well I was with Chase. However, I withdrew my money because of their policy. My sister that was on Social Security died after a long illness. I had been on her account to pay her bills and caregivers. She had no other source of income and when she died she only had $100 left in the account. I foolishly told the bank my sister died before I withdrew the last $100 out.

Well Chase bank put a hold on her money and told me the only way I could get that $100 was to go to probate court. Now mind you, I live in FL and my sister lived in IL. I would have to buy a plane ticket back to Chicago, pay court cost of $145, and then go to a probate hearing to release $100. I am her only living relative. No will since she didn't have anything except for her household goods which I donated to charity.

So the money was frozen and then each month they started taking out $12 service charge since she was no longer depositing her Social Security checks. In other words, the bank kept her money and there was nothing I could do but move my money.

Now I bank with Bank America and I'm not happy with them either. They have way too many fees.

15. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I opted for a credit union instead of the standard bank. The credit union is called ABNB and they have been good to me over the years. I will eventually apply for the credit card and maybe draw up a loan for my start up. Nevertheless, I would recommend you guys to look at getting a credit union account before opting for a regular bank.

16. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I currently Bank through Wells Fargo. They seem pretty good for the most part as long as you communicate with them. There are lots of different locations here in my town so it's easy to get to the ATM or bank to deposit or withdraw money. The only thing I don't like about this bank is if I don't have a savings account I get charged $10 a month. But that's not so bad I suppose.

Teamrose, I am so sorry for your lose and I don't think what Chase bank did was right at all. It definitely makes me want to stay away from that bank.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My main account is with a local credit union. I also have a checking account with Chase. There a hundreds of Chase banks in my area so I keep an account with them even though I prefer a credit union.

18. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I recently went back to Chase Bank. It's a matter of convenience for me. The bank I was with before was a bank I signed up with when I still lived in my hometown. Just so happens that this bank has no branches in the state I currently live in. So when it came to certain banking matters that would be easier for me to take care of in person, I couldn't do it unless I wanted to take a 6-hour drive back to my home state.

19. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    My parents use Wells Fargo for their banking, which I think the customer service is really bad. I would never bank with them.

20. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I'm signed up with Community Wide Federal Credit Union. Their customer service is horrible, but I signed up with them because they are the closest to where I live and I have the option to do most of my banking online. Prior to Community wide, I was signed up with Wells Fargo, which is the worst bank in the world. There are fees for everything and they take out a monthly fee from everyone for no reason other than that is what they do. I'm so glad I'm not with them now.