Which Do You Prefer: Thrift Stores Or Garage Sales?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by atlmom5 • Feb 1, 2016.

1. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy shopping at thrift stores and I don't mind garage sales, either. But I just find shopping at a thrift store more enjoyable because there's a lot more variety. Which do you prefer and why?

2. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I love anything that offers affordable prices and good quality of products. Just like you, I also enjoy shopping in thrift stores because the items are of high quality but with cheaper prices than the brand new ones. I specially love buying clothes from thrift stores and sometimes I would even get so amazed at how cheap they are. I don't mind buying in garage sales either but I prefer thrift shops more because they have more products to choose from. :)

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Garage sales are a lot more hit or miss, I think. At thrift stores here, you can mostly expect what you can find even though occasionally you will come across some very cool and rare items. Garage sales are a lot more dependent on the location like if I come across one at a fancier area I'll have a better chance of finding a lot more high end things that are probably in good condition but of course they will turn out to be a little more expensive than what I can purchase at thrift stores.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it really depends on the situation. I like anyplace where you can get items very inexpensively. There is a thrift store in town here that is pretty good, in terms of being well stocked, but I think their prices are a bit high for used goods. However, they do have a wide selection of products. The bad thing is that if you see something you better buy it then and there, because odds are it will be gone next time. There is a thriftshop/yard sale option run by the church here that is dirt cheap, and they have some fantastic purchases...but they are only open one day per week...in the morning. You have to remember to go. Regular yardsales I like for household goods.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think they both have their benefits - because you never really know what you're going to get at either, so you may find different bargains on different days. If you're looking for a bargain, the most important thing is to keep your eyes open at all times, as this gives you the best possible chance of finding whatever it is that you're looking for. By looking as far and wide as you can, you then have the chance to find exactly what you need.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Thrift shops here are called "Ukay-ukay." They are usually clothes, shoes and bags of branded names that are second hand. The thing is, you have to be very patient to find good items in thrift shops here. Aside from that, they are located in warehouses without AC. It's very hot and humid in our country. And so finding good items in thrift shops can be hard.

I found a garage sale here that sells branded items that are brand new. I bought quite a few since the quality is nice. Now, I don't know if they're really original branded items or Class A only but they do held up in the wash. The items are a bit pricier than that of the thrift shop but I'm fine with it.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer thrift stores. I always enjoy going to a thrift store when I'm in the mood to hunt for a deal on clothes. I have gotten some great deals on designer tops, with the tags on, for under $5.00. I have a hard time going to garage sales. I find it's hit or miss if you are going to find something in your size and that you like. I'm on the smaller side so the odds of people having a garage sale with clothes my size aren't too likely, whereas thrift stores always do. We have Value Village in Canada and they are always great deals, every few months they will do all clothes 50% off their already low prices, so I will go to several of the stores on that day and look for Gap, Old Navy, clothes for my kids.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I would have to say that it depends on what you are looking for, but when I thought about it I realized that when I go shopping I like to get as much as I can out of one trip, so I would have to go with the thrift store. There is a giant warehouse like thrift store about twenty miles from me so that is where I go to when I need some cheap clothes.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like shopping at garage sales unless there is one really close to my house because I find that I get disappointed most of the time. I drive around and around and do not find much that I like. Thrift stores are generally a little more expensive, but at least there are a variety of things to look at and buy.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a garage sale because I'm not good negotiator for dickering, but I see from time to time garage sales around the neighborhood, but never go. I often go t thrift shops for they got very good things like drapery I needed or jeans too. Saver's has a club o join for free and they'll send you information of upcoming sales.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have found great deals on clothing and household items at both garage sales and thrift stores. I really love doing both in order to save money, and they both have advantages and disadvantages. Garage sales usually have less expensive prices than thrift stores in my area, however, going garage saling usually means taking the time to drive around to various garage sales looking for bargains, which takes more time and usually costs more in gas. Thrift stores have more to browse in one location, which is a little more convenient. However, many people donate leftover items that are not sold at garage sales to thrift stores, so you may be missing out on higher quality items sold for a lower price by shopping at thrift stores instead of garage sales. Also, garage sales in my area are a seasonal event, usually available in the spring and summer, while thrift stores are open all year long.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They are very different and I don't think you can compare them. Garage sales are people having a clear out, so there won't be much choice there, where thrift stores will have a variety of things depending on the sources and time of year. I think location also matters, people tend to shop in goo neighborhoods as the quality of stock is better.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though they are both basically the same thing, dressed up as slightly different things, I would say that I would prefer the thrift store over the garage sale. With a garage sale, people have directly collecting items from their garage and other areas of their homes, and just dumped them on the sale table. With a thrift store there seems to be a slightly better degree of cleanliness involved?

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am more drawn to thrift stores rather than garage sales because the selection in thrift stores is more bigger compared to garage sales. However I think garage sales are a good venue to find used furniture.

15. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind shopping at both of them since each gives an advantage. For example, when I'm simply looking for things I might need at home, then I might take a loot at thrift stores. However, when I'm on a hunt for something for my collection, I'm going for garage sales because they often hold rare stuff.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, garage sales are not just for the items they sell but more for the socializing. When there is a garage sale in our village, expect the neighbors to troop just to chat. And although they buy some items, what's interesting is that some of them (the supposed buyers) would be bringing food for everyone that sometimes the garage sale would turn into a picnic.

I don't go to thrift stores but my sister and her husband are certified customers.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be completely honest, there are stuff I don’t mind buying used – like electronics, cars and stuff like that. But I don’t like used clothing… so I don’t usually go to a thrift store or garage sale for that.

However If I were to choose, it would probably be on a garage sale where I know where the clothing is coming from.

18. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I like going to both. I love being able to go out and go to some garage sales. I have made some really good finds at them but I think it is interesting to see what other people have had and are getting rid of even if I do not find anything myself. The last garage sale that I went to last summer I found a really nice fabric shower curtain practically brand new for $2. I love thrift stores too because they have so much stuff to look through and find treasure.

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got some pillows from the thriftstore in town that were very nice, and well priced. I also had just made a donation so, I got 20 percent off my purchase. However, they also had some imported soap from Australia which was like half a bar for 2.99...I did not consider that to be inexpensive, although I liked the soap.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like to go to the thrift stores, to me it is like treasure hunting. I like the selections that the thrift stores have when you are looking for something different. I stop at garage sells just to see what they have and I really like the ones that have plants for planting stuff or sale.