Which Fat Or Oil Do You Use To Cook Your Food?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Jul 24, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It has long been known that cooking fat is cheaper than cooking oil but the latter offsets this with health dividends. I don't use cooking oil but use avocados which are cheap and readily available especially when they are in season. They comabine both affordability and health improvement at the same time. The only shortcoming is that they don't keep for long before going bad.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like sesame oils for it adds a special flavor to your cooking though expensive so you use it sparingly. I like light cooking olive oil that I can buy real cheap at Walmart-$4.18 for 17 oz.. I love coconut oil and it is a secret that you can find a 14 oz. for 4.99 at Ross Dept. store with Senior Discount day on Tues. of 5% it's even cheaper. We drink a tablespoon of coconut oil and heavy virgin organic olive oils too for health reasons. I can find cheap virgin organic olive oil at Keeaumoku Walmart for just 1.98 for 8.5 oz Gem Extra virgin olive oil. Supermarket sales gives us canola oils 48 oz. for $2.50, so not bad for oils. I like canola oils for it gives you coq10 naturally.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use sunflower oil generally for basic frying, but if it's a flash fry then olive oil (such as heating up some pasta). For things like scrambled eggs, it has to be butter for the best taste though.

I try not to use too much oil, and prefer to add more if need be when I do cook.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I love coconut oil and use it a lot when I am frying something. Eggs are really good cooked in coconut oil and I even put it on popcorn instead of butter. I also use canola oil especially if I need more oil for something or a recipe. I don't use this that often though since I try not to fry things to much.

5. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I use mustard oil for cooking. I don't have to buy mustard oiI for cooking purpose because have a small piece of land where I grow mustard. Mustard is usually planted in October and harvested in December.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use mostly coconut oil for any kind of cooking. I buy it by the gallon from Amazon with the added betacarotene, which also gives the oil a beautiful golden color.
    For salad oil , we use virgin oilive oil, and I try to have just a spoonful of coconut oil for health benefits each day as well.
    I have read so many awful things about rapeseed oil (canola) that I stay away from that entirely, and also the other oils that are okay in themselves (but more toxic once they have been heat-processed)such as Wesson oil or corn oil.
    I also eat foods with natural oils in them, like avocados and flax seeds, because those oils are pure, fresh, and raw when you eat them.
    I make a kefir smoothie with fresh homemade kefir and freshly ground flax seeds as one of my meals several times each week.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I use vegetable oil nowadays. When I was a youngster, coconut oil was the order of the day coconut was in abundance in my country, therefore 90% of the cooking was done by utilizing coconut oil. The proliferation of various types of coconut debilitating diseases and the misinformation about the oil which was bandied about in order to promote soy as a better alternative decimated my country's coconut oil production, The cost of this item has become very expensive here now so it's no more used on a large scale.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use canola oil and try to use that as much as possible since other types of oil usually give off their own flavor too much. Olive oil. For example, will always give food that distinct taste and unless what you are cooking will be appropriate to that you of taste like maybe Italian food then it might just end up ruining he taste. Canola oil for me is good because it doesn't have a distinct flavor that overpowers whatever recipe you will be using but sometimes it's good to use other stuff that might be a little more healthy.

9. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I buy the avocados green and keep them in the fridge. Get one out a day or two ahead of time when we want to eat one. They last much longer this way. I keep a big jug of Mazola corn oil in the fridge for deep frying, but otherwise I mostly use extra virgin olive oil.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am sure I am not the only one, but the only oil that I now cook with is coconut oil. It has a ton of benefits. Sometimes, just to change it up I will use organic oregano, or olive oil too. These three oils are a pleasure to cook with, in my experience, and the health benefits are unparalleled. Beats cooking with butter.

11. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    The two oils that I use for cooking are Canola and Olive oils. The Canola is used more if I'm frying or baking. The Olive oil is used more for sautéing and making salad dressing.

12. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I use either Sunflower oil or Soybean oil for my frying. These are very reasonable in price and that is why I choose to use them. However, they are some other oils which have more health benefits like olive oil, for instance. This sells at a fairly high price in my country. I used to use it years ago, not only for the health benefits, but for the flavor as well. However, as time went by, I realized that I could no longer afford to buy this oil and switched to the above-mentioned ones.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using coconut oil which is probably one of the better choices as far as cooking oils go. I just bought some more oil which is a combo of olive oil and I think canola oil. This was a name brand oil, the problem with a lot of the low end olive oils is that they might not be real olive oil, or just a low grade oil. The same problem exists with honey. It may just be honey flavored sugar or something. With honey, it is better to get a locally sourced brand with the comb intact if possible.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @remanant, I didn't know you could use avocado as an oil substitute! That sounds very interesting because as we all know, avocados are very healthy. I use olive oil and have done for absolute yonks because that's what I grew up on. I have also tried canola oil in the past and found it was also good :)

15. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    That's true about Avocados. I love them so much, they never get a chance to go bad on me. I never thought to use them for cooking oil though.

I always go with great value cooking oil because it's really cheap. I don't purchase expensive oils because I don't see the value in buying expensive. They are all oils which is just used for basic uses like cooking.

Sometimes I use butter, but it burns too quick for me, I will use cheap oil because I go through it quick, and can buy a new bottle which will then match the price of a single bottle of one that is more expensive like a good vegetable oil.

16. NormaD

NormaDNew Member

Threads:
    This is certainly food for thought. I have never actually thought about it but I now know that not oils are created equal. I don't really do a lot of frying, but when I do I just use any oil that is nearest. Thanks for the tips on the different kinds of cooking oil and their health benefits.

17. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    We use vegetable oil to fry food, or olive oil to saute onion/garlic. I don't use this for any other reason besides thats what my mother did, so I thought everyone else did too. Interesting to see those who fry things in coconut oil. I never thought about it.

18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    I use canola oil for sauteing and quick frying but for deep frying I always use grape seed oil. What I noticed when I started using this oil for deep frying the texture of what I fried had a nice color and it does not easily burn. Actually I have not yet try using coconut oil in my cooking. I think I will check on this if it is okay. Thanks for sharing:)

19. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    When I make Asian inspired dishes, my preference is sesame oil. However, garlic olive oil has been my go-to for a few years now. Back when I was frying a lot of my food, I used canola oil.

20. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Do you know if you can use raw coconut oil to do this? I know that processed coconut oil that is sold in the stores is the best to use. But where I live during certain times of the year there are sellers who have coconut oil they make themselves. The local people say they only use it for their hair but some of it is really white just like the oil you would buy in the jars back home where I am from. The price of olive oil has sky rocketed so I'm trying to figure out if I can use this oil to cook with but have been unsuccessful. Do you know how to tell if an oil is good for cooking?