Which Grocery Store?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by LindaKay • Apr 26, 2014.

1. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Which grocery store do you shop at? Which store do you think has the lowest prices?

We have a local grocery store just 2 blocks away from my house, but I don't shop there all that often; their selection of products is poor, and they are expensive unless you just buy what's on sale.

For good deals, I like shopping at Food Lion. They used to be kind of pricey, but they went through a major overhaul and have really come down on their prices. They also offer lots of store coupons, which you can pair with manufacturers coupons for even better deals.

I used to like to coupon at Walmart, but I basically avoid that store like the plague nowadays. Their prices on a lot of things really aren't any cheaper, and I hate using coupons there because the cashiers generally tend to have a bit of an attitude. Plus, the parking and lines are just too much.

So basically, I would say that I get the best deals at Food Lion in my area. What about you?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind paying a little extra for my groceries as long as the employees are paid good wages at the stores themselves. If all the people at Wal-Mart were suddenly getting paid $15/hour, then all those employees would also be contributing more in taxes into our community, which means that taxes overall wouldn't need to be raised as often, not to mention fewer people would need to depend on government assistance to supplement their incomes. You're really not saving any money if your taxes keep going up to help support an increasing number of people at or below poverty levels even though they are working 40 hours a week.

I have become more careful to pay attention to price variances by store though. A certain store may have some items cheaper than their competitors, but then they screw you over on other items. Our local farmers market type places will have great deals on produce, but if you try to do all your shopping there, they totally screw you over on pantry items, dairy, cheeses and other staples. On that same note, the chain grocery stores might have specials on things like TV dinners, or lunch meats, or bulk packs of meats, but then they screw you over on produce, or random items throughout the store. One discount grocery chain who is generally cheap on most stuff, wanted like $4 for a can of their off brand cooking spray. I can get actual Pam or Wesson spray for like $2 at the other stores.

3. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    We used to have a Food Lion in our town, and I shopped there a lot. After they went out of business, our only choices were Walmart, Food City and Ingle's, which are all expensive. Finally, a new store opened up called Price Less. They're like a food co-op, so their prices tend to fluctuate, depending on what they have to pay for items. They are still less expensive than any other store in town. They are clean and well organized too. Most of the employees seem stupid and unfriendly, but the other stores have that problem as well. I'm just happy to finally be saving some money on food.

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I have an Albertsons right next to my apartment complex so I like to walk there when I need to grab a couple of things quickly. I usually do all of my big shopping at Walmart. For the most part I try to stay away from Walmart because I don't like the traffic and lines and not to mention I go way over budget when I go there. I swear that place is a trap.

5. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I have been going to Food Lion, Walmart, and just recently stopped at Compare Foods. For me I think Walmart has the lowest prices on food but then somebody just told me that the meat at Compare Foods is cheaper. I like buying some foods at Walmart but I'll go to some other store for other foods.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm in a similar situation. I have a store that is right down the road but the quality isn't that good and the prices are too high.

I usually go to places like Shoprite or Krogers for many items. I do like Aldis but my local one currently isn't all that great either.

7. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    It really IS a trap. Sam's Club is a trap as well. I mean you do save money on individual items, but you always buy MORE items. LOL I remember years ago, when I shopped at Sam's Club, my ex and I would end up spending at least $200.00 on stuff we would not normally have bought.