Which hobbies are too expensive?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mistymi • Apr 4, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I used to like RC cars but they're expensive and require lots of space. They can be difficult to maintain for beginners too.
    Gaming is pretty expensive but it depends on what kind of games you like. Personally, I've spent more money on games than anything else.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think computer gaming is expensive because you have to keep upgrading your video card and your computer to handle newer games. Collecting Japanese CD's is expensive because it costs $60 to buy a Japanese import CD. Extreme sports can be an expensive hobby because you have to pay for transportation to wherever you'll be base jumping from and you need your clothes and gear.
    It's funny that the wealthiest people can afford hobbies but don't have time to do them. Since I'm just a working class mom trying to get by, I had to give up a lot of my hobbies because I couldn't afford to keep them up. Now my hobby is finding ways to save money.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, many of my hobbies are quite expensive for me, I don't make that much money! Travelling is quite expensive, which I absolutely love to do. And also when I go out on the weekends I enjoy going to expensive Irish inspired pubs, and those are quite expensive because there is a fee to get in and the beers are pretty costly! So I do that every once in a while, and tend to focus on cost-less or low cost hobbies, such as watching my favorite TV shows, walking my dog and reading!

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Expensive hobbies are found everywhere. Since there are a lot of exciting activities or products that tend to cost a lot, it doesn't take much to make a list. Some examples are boating, possibly making computers, as the prices are quite high for good product, and travelling (although that's not really a hobby).

5. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    Any hobby can be expensive, really.

For me, I'd say cars. I spend too much money on my car. It's even more expensive when you start buying other cars to work on. It adds up fairly quickly.

6. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    Collecting CARS is quite expensive. My other hobby collecting arcade and Pinball machines can be expensive.
    Plus HEAVY!! You know a Pinball machine weights 300lbs. But coin collecting and stamp collecting can get expensive also.
    BUT they are much lighter and take up alot less room in my house!

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, I certainly agree that collecting cars is way too expensive! Other collections can get way too costly as well...even collecting DVDs can really add up. I like the fact that couponing is my hobby; it actually helps us save money, unlike other peoples' hobbies do!

8. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    Computer gaming, as someone mentioned above, can become extremely expensive if you are actively purchasing new games and wanting the best graphics humanly possible. I was big on PC gaming and still would be if it wasn't for my computer's motherboard frying. I decided it was time for a change of pace until I manage to save up enough money for a replacement. Right now, I spend a fair amount on video games via-PS3, but not nearly as much as I did on PC.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends how addicted you are to your hobby and how much it means to you. I think if you truly love something than it's not a question about how expensive it is, but how much you want to spend on it. Obviously, if your hobby involves collecting cars, you need to plan ahead and have some ideas and strategies to be able to keep up with the demands that, without doubt, will keep on growing, just like your collection. :)

10. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    For some people, gambling is their worst hobby because of how expensive it can be to those that become addicted.

I was in that situation before. Now it's become a profitable hobby. Betting on one game per day sticking to my money management system has paid off. When I was younger, this was a dangerous addiction. One I overcame.

11. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I was actually thinking just the other day how surprisingly expensive videogaming is in general. Granted, it's pretty obvious that new games and consoles are pricey, but even collecting used (or retro) games quickly adds up. I used to be pretty hardcore into gaming, and I'd have to say that I've probably spent thousands on videogames in my lifetime. I just don't know how some people can keep up with it.

12. sanders89

sanders89New Member

Threads:
    I love snow sports, I think that they are so fun, and I love spending time in the mountains in the winter. But I mean come on, they are so expensive! I would love to snowboard every weekend if I could, but that is so unrealistic. It's like $500 at least for a winter pass, and then it's $100 in gas every time you go, and the cost of rentals. It really adds up.

13. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Any hobby can add up. Anything is worth in price what you are willing to pay. If it's something you love, the cost is nothing or almost nothing. If it's something you love, you either find a way, and or you don't even notice it. What would it cost you to NOT do what you want to do? That cost would be highest of all hobbies.

14. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    You are very right. Any hobby can become expensive and if someone loves something enough, it can grow into expenses beyond belief.

15. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    There are plenty of hobbies that we may see as too expensive but to those who participate in the hobbies they may think that all of the money they put into their hobbies is worth it. If you've got the money do it, go for it. Who are we to judge which hobbies are worth it and which aren't. If something makes you happy, do it.

16. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    We all have a few things which are kinda expensive to do i mean growing in a way which help us with being good there isn't anything wrong with it but yeah going over the top can surely be wrong and we should be taking care of all the needs.

17. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Well anything that involves travelling can become very expensive over time. But for hobbies themselves I would say anything that requires a lot of investment like golf. Set of clubs can become very expensive, and there are also membership fees to consider.

18. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I would say that a hobby that became too expensive and was quit because of that probably has other elements of what we really didn't want to do that anymore because when we want to do something, we usually keep it up because it has become more than about money.

19. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My father has spent an absolutely fortune on collecting coins so I'm going to say this! He has sent away for the ones that are advertised in magazines and despite them costing at least £125 per coin I don't believe they are worth anything, I'm not even sure they are worth a quarter of what he had paid for me, but it is his money and it keeps him quiet for a little while. :)

20. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, burning money for fun would be an extremely expensive hobby, don't you think? :p