Which Is Cheaper In The Long Run? Wallpaper Or Paint?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by cocolgooh • Mar 7, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy paint because it's easier to cover up when you want to change it (especially if you use lighter colors), you don't have to try to get it off the wall before going over it and you can often get large cans of paint pretty cheaply, which can be enough to do more than one room sometimes, especially if you've got quite small rooms which I do. However there is the added cost of paint brushes and trays, etc, too.

Which do you think is actually cheaper in the long run though?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think wallpaper is much more expensive than buying fresh paint to decorate a room, not to mention that wall paper is messy and is a pain in the but to get on and off the walls. The thing about wall paper is that it is eventually going to get outdated and you are going to have to replace it. Your best bet is to give the room a fresh coat of paint and then paint or stencil on designs as you wish.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As there are pros and cons to both - which is cheaper - will I think very much depend on how often someone wishes to change the look of a room - for example - although wallpaper is generally more expensive than paint and also requires a much lengthier process to apply - that demands a huge amount of time and patience - every time you wish to change the look of a room - as it gives a finish that normally lasts for well over 15 years - unlike paint which usually only lasts for five at most - wallpaper is actually considered to be the cheaper option.

However - if like me - you couldn't live with the same wall covering for well over 15 years - paint is probably way, way cheaper - especially as - not only can all the tools needed be used over and over again - but with a myriad of colors as well as a wide range of texturing techniques now available - the majority of which are relatively inexpensive - freshening up or changing the look of room - can easily and quickly be done for very little - in terms of both cost and time.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer paint over wallpaper because it is cheaper and easier to apply. Putting wallpaper up and taking it down is way too time consuming for my liking. It is so much easier to pain over a color you hate versus stripping wallpaper and then painting over that.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a good question that until now I cannot say which is cheaper. When we moved in to this house that we had bought in 2001, we were thinking of the wallpaper instead of repainting. But the problem at the time was the lack of time to shop for wallpaper and our workers only knew painting jobs. But after 15 years, there are parts with loose paint already that needs repainting. Come to think of it, that's 15 years and probably the wallpaper will not last that long.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that paint is both easier and cheaper to be honest, and I would always choose it over wallpaper any day of the week - because it just feels a lot simpler. One pot of paint can last for a long time, so if you want to refresh your room you simply buy some more and go for it, and this is something that I enjoy doing rather regularly if I'm being honest, as it's always nice to be able to have a bit of a change in your home when you can.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about the best of both worlds? Have you seen those paint rollers that make a print? I remember those from many years ago, but now I see people acting like they are the big, new, thing. I guess they have been revitalized in this new era of DIY home improvement.

They are pretty cool. You just put on paint and use them like a typical paint roller, but they add a design. Some people roll on a solid color for a background and then use the design roller over the top with a different color. What I think would be nice with this too is using a flat paint and a gloss paint like they do sometimes to create that striped wallpaper look (or you could just do the stripe thing or a stencil).

It would probably take a good bit of sanding to remove the print when you repaint, but in my opinion, anything is better than stripping wallpaper.

People even make their own paint roller designs by wrapping string and such around the roller.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have to go with paint on this one. I really do not know which one would be cheaper, but paint has always been the way I have gone and it seems easier, and there is less involved with it so I would guess that it would be the cheaper option. Plus, wallpaper tends to tear and not look that good after a while so that would factor into it as well for me.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer paint though I don't know which one would be cheaper. I think paint lasts much longer though so I would have to guess that is the better option. I've had experience with wallpaper before and since my bed was beside it I would spend some of my time chipping away at it without even noticing myself doing it, whereas if it were paint I don't think I would have had that chance, so I'm guessing that since paint stays on much better then it must be the better choice because if it ruins easily then you'll have to replace it regularly.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also much prefer paint over wall paper. I think in the long run, wall paper will cost you more to maintain. I feel paint is way cheaper, easier to apply and also looks better. Plus you can do it yourself. Wall paper meantime, is dated in my opinion; that's before we get to anything else. If you're going to push the boat out and pay a little extra for good quality wall paper, you'll almost certainly spend more to buy wall paper than paint. Wall paper's also notoriously difficult to apply flawlessly, so you'd have to get someone in to do it for a fee. There's nothing as ugly as wall paper that's all wonky and not done right! It's just too fiddly and messy for my liking. So paint wins for me :)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think wallpaper is better since there are some parts in our house where the paint is already coming off, so I think with wallpaper is better since they are not that susceptible to temperature changes since they are placed inside the house and is basically a thick kind of paper only.