Which Items Cost More When You Buy Them Online?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Sep 1, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most online stores will offer some great deals on a number of products those which sell in huge voumes but to balance the scales, so to say, there are some products which will cost a lot more than you would get them elsewhere.

When buying online make not the mistake of thinking that since you get better deals online, that will apply to everything. It doesn't. Find how much what you intend to buy will cost at a local store. It might save you some money.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we all have this notion that when you purchase things online, you're going to be able to get that product for a better price than you would if you were to purchase it in a retailer store. But I learned that that wasn't true last Christmas. My mother asked for an angel jigsaw, so I looked on the web, and wen I finally found one, and saw that the shipping fees were more than the actual product price, I was shocked!! Needless to say, I didn't purchase it. It would have been much cheaper to buy it in a store.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't think of anything that costs more online than at a store... maybe food and drinks? I think in general the only way you would lose weight purchasing online is if the shipping is too expensive and the product is the same price as online in the store (and assuming you have that store nearby).

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    You'd be surprise that a majority of things online cost more than in store. The reason being is because you have to factor in shipping. The shipping cost will at least add another five dollars to your order no matter what. If you can find it in stores then it is better to go out and get it. Unless, there is a big discount then it wouldn't be any worth in buying online.

5. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with what the rest have said. While the price of the actual item may be lower than what you see in a physical shop, the shipping that you pay for will negate any savings you thought you made. In fact, you tend to end up paying more albeit with the convenience of having the item delivered to your doorstep. I find that items that cost more would be the cheaper products such as stationery for example. Buying say a highlighter for 1.50 may sound reasonable, but then if you look closer, shipping may be 3 bucks if you are getting it locally, and even more if its interstate or international! Always double check shipping costs before feeling happy that you've got a good bargain!

6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    What I find sometimes is that the product is cheap but shipping is a deal breaker. Then you have to wait a while until it reaches your mail box. I guess making it pricier online is just to encourage you to enter the physical store. Then you end up buying more stuff because you can always exit out of a website to lessen the temptation to buy more but you can't do that in a store.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some stores only charge a shipping fee of $1, so that's reasonable. I think even if the item is cheaper than in real stores, if the shipping isn't free then you won't get any savings. If you want free shipping then go to those Chinese stores or sellers in Ebay.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think almost any product can be more expensive online if you don't do enough research. I know I made this mistake once before when I bought headphones online thinking that I'm getting a discount only because the price of it was slashed in the online store I found it in. Later on as I was walking through a mall I found those same headphones and saw that the price was even lower there. Fortunately, the extra price I paid for was just a small amount and I can easily just chalk it up to not having to pay for travel which I guess comes out to a fair price in the end, but it still doesn't change the fact that I paid more for it showing online.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live very close to the city centre so most items would cost me the same, if not more, online due to the shipping costs because I wouldn't incur any transit or gas costs if I simply walked into town to get it.

10. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    The funny thing is the first thing I thought about when it came to which one was more expensive was definitely fashion. I can buy clothes cheaper from my local mall than I could any other online fashion retailer. I've seen some ridiculous prices. I think that health products are another one that are priced really high. Especially if it's healthy foods and drinks. Another thing was that stupid Proactiv. When I first bought it, it was $50 for 3 small bottles of acne medicine that did more harm than good.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's good advice. A lot also depends on how much tax, if any, you are required to pay. Then, you also need to figure in shipping and handling costs. Calculate those numbers against taxes and the cost of gas to get to the store where you would normally buy the item (if it's a fairly long distance). The prices might just end up being comparable unless you are buying things in bulk.

Also, consider timing. Can you wait for it to arrive? Do you need to plan an order in advance to make sure you don't run out of something before a new package will have time to arrive, or things like will it get cold out before your new winter coat can get there?