Which Movie Should Hollywood Reboot?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Nov 19, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen reports that Tim Burton is bringing back Beetlejuice. I'm very excited, but highly skeptical of how it will turn out, seeing as Tim Burton seems to be losing his touch a bit. Still, it would be fun to see how the characters back up on the big screen, and finding out how they have evolved. Which old movies do you think could benefit from a reboot/sequel?

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a great idea, but can you say one good movie that came out better than the original. Because everything that comes to mind when i think about reboots is that they are nostalgia cash-ins to exploit the audience.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    None, for God's sake, let Hollywood come up with something original for once.. I'm so sick of this cop-out way of treating movies.. everything is a sequel or a bad reboot.. :/

4. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you there. I wish they would come up with their own original ideas for new movies instead of trying to cash in on something that has already been done. They just don't have the talent nowadays that they had in the past. That is why they are unable to come up with something new. They have to go to something old and remake it hoping they do a better job and that this time it makes more money than it did before. Personally I think they should just go back to the drawing board with movies.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's the lack of talent, it's probably more because they spend a lot of money on blockbusters and then they don't have the guts to try and do a movie that won't be a guaranteed hit, to not go broke. Even the big directors are saying that Hollywood only need couple of bad releases and they can potentionally go bnakrupt..

6. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Just pick up a really shitty movie with a good concept and do it again. The desire to revisit classics is just plain stupid. No Tim you can't improve Beetle Juice so don't try to do it again. If somebody is interested in doing LOEG again then I am interested.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, no kidding, especially with Burton's track record as of late.. I think the last movie he did that was worth anything was Nightmare..

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh gawd, please no lol. I hate reboots. I think there is plenty to work with to come up with their own ideas.

9. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I think it is time Hollywood takes us seriously. Almost about 50% of the movies coming out are not original and are coming from something that has been done already. That can be a bit sickening seeing that as movie fans we spend so much money trying to entertain ourselves there.

It is about time, we all boycott movies that have been rebooted unless, it has been asked for by the fans or at least it did so well the last time that another version of it would really be beneficial. Otherwise generally, movie makers and script writers are there for a reason, they should write new and exciting stuff.

10. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    The funny thing is that Nightmare before Christmas is a Henry Selick movie. Burton just produced it and they put his name in the title because he was much more popular than Selick. Still, his Ed Wood was pretty good but that was in 1994. You can say that Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd had their moments but the former was just cheesy enough to be watchable and the latter relied on a great story by Chris Bond and Stephen Sondheim had already given it a definitive version. Burton was just riffing on their work there.

11. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I think they should stop trying to find movies to reboot and come up with something themselves. I like some old movies just the way they are. I agree with a previous post that they should find a bad movie to reboot. Why mess with a good thing.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Agreed! Rebooting bad movies would make a lot more sense since there wouldn't be anywhere to go but upwards from there because they are starting from "crap", instead of doing it the other way around with the movies that we already liked to begin with.

13. IndianapolisJones

IndianapolisJonesNew Member

Threads:
    I'd like to see a remake of Scarface in the 21st century with new technology and whatnot, but at the same time you just don't mess with the original. If Hollywood tries to remake the super classics like Scarface or The Godfather, I'm going to personally start a petition and get millions of signatures to ensure that they don't ruin the originals. Like come on, they most recently redid Robocop and Godzilla. Really? They should be able to come up with an original plot.

14. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    At first I didn't mind when Hollywood started rebooting movies because I just didn't think much of it and it wasn't being done as much as it is now. I definitely agree that Hollywood needs to stop rebooting so many movies and just be original because it sells a lot more than reboots most people have already seen the original movie and knows how it ends or just prefer the original over the reboot.