Which One Is Better? A 2gb Ddr5 Gpu Or A 4gb Ddr3?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by deathbyprayer • Feb 14, 2015.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm no graphics card expert nor a computer geek so I don't know about the nerdy technical details about graphics cards, but I do know that (if I'm not mistaken that is) that DDR5's are faster or better than DDR3's. Now my question is, will a 2GB DDR5 graphics card perform better than a 4GB DDR3 or will they be the same? Let's just assume that both cards are Nvidia cards.

2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    What you've got there essentially is just a difference between the type of extra 'dedicated' memory tacked on to your GPU. Just so you know, don't get so hung up about the memory from your GPU as only the type of the GPU is relevant to whether they can even be compared. No one can tell you what's better if you don't give the full models of the GPU's regardless of whether one's memory is DDR5 or DDR3.

3. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Oh I see. Let's say then that both cards are basically the same, same core clock, same core count, same in every way but different in terms of what I mentioned, which would be better? Or will they be just the same in terms of performance?

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    More video memry is always good. Theres already stuff out there you can't run without 4GB of VRAM.

5. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    But what about the cores? Like CUDA cores on a Nvidia card? Which one is better? To have a lot of CUDA cores with just 2GB's or VRAM or more VRAM , let's say 4GB's with only a few CUDA cores?

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I would say having more CUDA cores is better since they play a bigger role when it comes to performance compared to VRAM. Think of it this way, a single-core computer with 16GB's or RAM isn't actually better when compared to an Octa-core computer with only 4GB's or RAM right?

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to GPUs, the general answer is that 4GB is going to be better than 2GB because certain games won't run with a 2GB card because it will run out of memory immediately. For games that can utilize either memory option, then you could potentially (and will likely) see better results from a DDR5 option.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you would need to actually say what models are you talking about. Different architectures have different specs. Generally, I doubt that the manufacturer would put 4GB of VRAM on a card which is inferior to cards with 2GB of VRAM. And as I said, 2GB is already being phased out.

9. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    If someone pointed gun to my head I'd say 4Gb DDR3. I doubt you can still expect to see DDR3 GPUs though, DDR5 is more common. But between DDR3 and DDR5 on a GPU, you won't notice much of a difference so go with the one with more VRAM. Don't settle for 2Gb or less if you want to future-proof your GPU.