Which One Of The Big 3 Is The Preferred Way To Get Books In The Brain?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by JoanMcWench • Apr 1, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Out of the three options: Physical book, eBook, or Audiobook which is the one you prefer to read. I prefer to read a physical book over the others but an audiobook in the car is always a great option & eBooks are so cheap/convenient it's hard to pass up on them. Which do you prefer? Why?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate audiobooks because some narrators are not that good. I've listened to a few and realized the best way to enjoy a book is by reading it yourself.

Do I prefer physical books? Yes I do but the kind of books I read, you can't find them in any bookstore. But since I simply must read a book from time to time, I have no option but to find the Ebook(s) online. That's why though I don't like Ebooks a lot, I read more of them these days.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer physical books but we travel a lot so I have to admit I probably now have more e-books than I do physical. Every once in awhile I like to listen to an audio book in the background or when we drive but it is probably my third choice because I am busy doing other things and don't pay attention as much. I like the audio books where famous actors use their voices.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer physical books. They are the real deal. I just don't have much patience with reading EBooks on my laptop computer or on my android phone. I am also not into audiobooks.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer a combination of all three; it depends on the type of book and the reason why I'm reading. I will listen to audiobooks when I'm out running or riding my bike and, since I'm a student, sometimes I will listen to audio of literature assignments either alone or as I read the hard copy. It helps me to retain the facts and information. I like ebooks when I travel because they are so much easier to cart around, but I love the feel of a good book, especially when I'm curled up on a rainy morning with nothing else to do (although those days seem few and far between!)

6. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    If it is a fiction book, then an audiobook is fine. I agreed some narrators are not very good at capturing the tone of what is going on or action in the book. Growing up, I enjoyed having my own library of physical books, but realized that I will probably never read the fiction books again, so I took them to a paperback trade store that was open at the time. I thought those stores were the best. I do not think they are around anymore. When I read books online for classes, the information did not stick as well. I think it was because it is typed on a bright screen and I sit at my desk to read. A physical book is more mobile and hence more relaxing to read. Also I have tried reading on a kindle and that was difficult too. There were no page numbers as well. Therefore I would prefer an audio book for fiction and for the story to stick and a physicial book for nonfiction and educational purposes.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    James Earl Jones reading the entire bible was utterly perfect to me. That might have been the best hired narrator for the best material ever.

8. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    ebooks for me. Ideally kindle but any open format is fine. I can convert it.

I used to like audio books for at work. A large portion of my job was taking numbers from a printed report and entering them into a spreadsheet. It was mindless but needed to be perfect. Audio books were perfect for that. I could listen to the book to keep from being bored and spare just enough brain power for data entry.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    E-books (assuming I'm reading it on an ebook reader) and paper books are the same to me, when it comes to remembering the contents. Audiobooks are worse, because unless I only concentrate on the audio itself, the words just kind of come and go, so I only listen to audiobooks occasionally, during travels or something.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like all three mediums have their uses, and for different situations. But as far as personal use, and most convenient for me, I would have to go for the audiobook option. I am an audio person in any event, and I like that when I am listening to a book, I can still do other things. Also, I like when the narrator does the voices for different characters and such.

11. Harmony Lassen

Harmony LassenNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer actual books. I like turning actual pages. And there's just something about the way new books smell. I also like Kindle Ebooks, but not as much as physical books.