Which one to buy: Core i5 or Core i7 Laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jatelo2 • Mar 24, 2014.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I have survived with a duo core computer for quite a while now. As expected this once power gadget no longer has what it takes to adequately handle my online needs and graphical design project. So, a friend advised me to go for a core i laptop. The idea was that the Corei processors is faster.

I've been scouring the net for the right Corei and cannot see the main between Core i5 and Core i7 laptops apart from the price of course. You should forgive my inadequate knowledge of the technical aspects of the said processors.

I'd really appreciate it if someone with either of the computers shared with me the difference. I don't want to spend more on more or less similar gadgets.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. DreamWave

DreamWaveNew Member

Threads:
    I can give you a quick comparison between i3, i5 and i7.
    Basically, the difference is in the number of cores, technologies used (hyperthreading) and cache
    i3 has 2 cores and supports hypertheading, which means it can run 4 threads at once, and 3-4 MB of cache
    i5 has 4 cores, but does not support hyperthreading, which means in can run 4 threads (but more cores are better than hyperthreading), and it has 4-6 MB of cache
    i7 has both - 4 cores (or 6 in the extreme version) and hyperthreading, which means it can run 8 threads at once, and it has 8MB of cache

So it depends on what you are going to use the laptop for. i5 is great for browsing and using the computer as a work station.
    However, if you want to use advanced encoding/decoding capabilities or play games you should go for the i7

I hope this was helpful.

3. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Well, in my opinion, your choice for a processor should only be guided by your needs. This is due to the reason that a lot of times people end up spending a lot more thinking they have bought a faster laptop by investing in an expensive processor. But this is not the case. I would like to suggest you that you should only go with the i7 only if your work on the computer involves resource-intensive tasks.

4. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with Pahagwl, in order for us to help you decide what would be better for you, we first need to understand your needs. Are you getting this laptop to just search the internet and use it for the basics or are you going to need great performance from it? I make videos, websites, and do photo editing and the i5 processor wasn't enough for me, I had to switch over to an i7.

5. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Not all i5's and i7's are the same. Here is a bench mark results you can look up and see how a particular CPU did

. You also need to take into account the RAM and Hard Drive. My laptop has an i3 but it's listed in the mid-high range above some i5's.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    My approach to buying expensive items is to get the upgrades, if the price isn't too different. I generally have my computers for 3+ years, so the faster processor boost was well worth the little bit of extra money.

If you're someone who regularly buys new equipment, or doesn't really plan to do anything computer intensive on the laptop, then perhaps saving the money is the better route for you.

7. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of online research, graphic design and video editing which I believe require a powerful computer.

8. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah.. I'm not so much into moving with the latest technology. I just wanted to spend on something I understand and that will prompt a quick upgrade. I'm however interested in saving as much as I can without compromising on quality..

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on your needs really, i7 is preferable if you have the money, i5 is also powerful but isn't as powerful as the i7 but its cheaper. If you're going to be doing some heavy computing then invest on an i7, if you're just going to do some minor light to medium computing the go the much cheaper i5.

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I must say that this guy knows his gadgets. This is the real difference if you wanted to know between a core i5 and i7

11. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    An i5 is a pretty good processor. I am using an i5 at the moment and i think that it is really a great processor and you can do a lot and achieve a lot with it. I would say that there are a few instances in which i feel my computer is slacking and that is when i feel i would get an i7. If you are comfortable on a duo core then an i5 will change your life and an i7 will blow you out of this world.