Which products do you think are overpriced?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by DealHunter1 • Sep 30, 2013.

1. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure we have all bought something and felt as though we didn't get our money's worth. There are so many companies that just have regular or decent products and then they want to slap a huge price tag on it. :mad:

Which products do you know of that are just not worth the price? How much does it cost?

LOVE & DEALS
    DH:cool:

2. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Definitely apple products. :)

Somehow, I feel that their products are way over priced.
    iPhone, Macbooks, and etc.

Another would be beats audio by Dr. Dre.
    You can buy a headphone with similar (or even better) quality at a fraction of a cost of a beats one.

3. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it's the little things that matter. I believe many name-brand blue jeans are too expensive. I do not understand why some blue jeans cost over $100. I have a hard time paying over $20 for a pair blue jeans. They are all made from the same material. Also, I think the same thing about a pair of shoes. Why do some shoes cost so much? Some people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for shoes. Most of the time, the higher priced shoes are of lesser quality. Why pay more for lesser quality?

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think you are mostly paying for a "fashion" brand, in where you are paying 3x times the actual price of what is inside. Is it worth it? I don't think so, but if you like that sort of thing, then be my guest.

5. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I think shoes are ridiculously overpriced. I remember reading somewhere that it takes something like $4.00 to make your typical pair of shoes. Unfortunately, I'm a slave to nice shoes. I figure that your feet are the one thing that you need to protect, especially for kids. I refuse to buy my toddler poorly made shoes. It's always Stride Rite or Skechers. If I'm lucky, I'll get her a pair of shoes on sale for under $30.00, but more likely than not, I'm paying a lot of money for them.

6. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    Apple products are way overpriced. I also think that the next generation video game consoles are debuting at prices well above what they should be at. Another price that gets my goat is the price of golfing at a golf course. It usually costs a minimum of fifty dollars to play eighteen holes. That is ludicrous! Movies in theaters are way too expensive as is the cost of food at the theaters.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You never really get what you pay for because the business would not make any profit if the commodity is sold for its true value, the cost of production. It's hard to find value in the clothing market as the brand will mark up by at least 2.5 and then the retailer will mark up a further 2.5, you end up with a product 5 x its actual value.

8. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Branded clothes are ridiculously overpriced for sure. Just a logo or label on a jeans or shirt increases its price many times. The same product when non-branded or locally made will probably cost a few dollars, slap a Tommy Hilfiger or Levis label on it and the price increases by 5-6 times.

9. drpiggledy

drpiggledyNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with the apple products and the branded clothing. I also find with the latter that just because you pay a premium for a top end brand, this doesn't mean it is going to be particularly well made. On the contrary.

In this country I also think things like paracetamol and women's sanitary products are well overpriced. No choice but to buy them, which is, I suppose, why they get away with it, but the markup must be ridiculous.

And then there's nappies (diapers) and baby formula. Never bought the latter myself as I breastfed mine, but I'm always shocked at what a tin of powdered milk costs. As far as nappies go, the lidl brand ones are just as good as the branded Huggies etc, and literally only half the price.

10. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    Clothing and shoes are extremely overpriced for me in U.S. 5 dollars for a plain tank top. T shirt will be almost 10 dollars. On top of that,they look cheap if you go to Walmart and they have terrible body shape.It's like it's straight down. no curve. So it doesn't high light your body at all. My sister got me 3 t shirts for ONE DOLLAR and they're pretty nice. You can't tell it's that cheap.

A pair of nice brand flat shoes in my area can cost as little as 9 dollars. In U.S ,You'd have to pay at least 20 dollars.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much everything. I don't know how it's been done, but everything has gone so downhill in quality, but people still see them as high end. And the cheaper the product, the worse it is. Not to mention what most big companies are doing behind the scenes to pay the least for the most outcome. I miss the days products were made well and made to last. These days I feel like I'm just throwing away money.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a game from Amazon. Star Defender 4. The reviews I'd read were great and I wanted to surprise my kid who's an avid gamer. While I have to admit the game was not over-prices [ it costs about 7 bucks] it definitely was a waste of money because [the kid only played it once and that was all] the quality of the game certainly was very POOR.

Since then, I never buy games I've not tested.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's not necessarily the case as many of the clothes sold in the US market are from Indonesia, China, India, Bangladesh etc, made using poor quality materials and cheap labour in sweatshop factories. I prefer not to buy this type of clothing because of the disgusting conditions the workers endure.

14. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Kind of a different direction, but I think "Organics" are often so overpriced. I can understand that fresh fruit and vegetables may have some extra cost involved, but when I see corn chips or pasta, what is it that accounts for all the extra price?

15. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that without a doubt that plain white t shirts are always the highest prices depending on what brand. For example in forever 21 a simple t shirt can be 5 dollars while in asks 5ave h same Cotten t shirt will cost around 80. I think that's really insane at the end of the day and a waste of money to add.

16. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Well, in addition to apple products, I would also say branded clothes.

One time I saw a woman's blouse being sold for $15 (because I was with my girlfriend :) ) and i honestly though it was a rag. I don't even know the brand. But the store was Forever 21.

17. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree that diapers are overpriced and so are feminine products. The makers of these products know they will be needed by many people. So they feel they can charge more. Those things have to be purchased. What about mattresses? They seem so expensive. I recently went out shopping for a new queen sized mattress for my teenage son. The cheapest price I could find for a new, unused queen set was $400. That's crazy! That's a monthly house payment!

18. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    Cell Phone cases are super overpriced! As well as APPLE products like cables and chargers. My last two iPhone cases costed me 0.99c and then $4.99 purchased from ebay and Amazon. Never ever buy those $30-100 cases from Best Buy, etc.etc. Figure that this about probably 0.25c of plastic in them and the rest is profit.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently spoke to the owner of a popular online clothing store and what he said was very revealing. He said the designers mark up by 2.5, the middle man takes a small percentage and the stores mark up by a further 2.5. So you are paying 5 times the value of the garment overall. This is why I rarely pay for anything at the full RRP.

20. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I actually saved up for a Lancome Renergie Night cream. At that time it was $95. I was impressed with the ads and I thought to myself that at least once in my life, I would splurge on an expensive night cream. After all why do rich women have such nice skin...its probably because they get what they pay for.

Alas it did absolutely nothing for my skin. Aside from the fact that the packaging was classy I did not see any improvement to the skin on my face. It did not look more lifted, "radiant" or softer. I actually saw better results with the $21 Olay Regenerist night cream.