Who do you give flowers to?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Gelsemium • Jun 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to give flowers to my wife at least once per month, but with time this habit has been decreasing drastically, she doesn't seem to care too much either because we are just too busy. Who do you give flowers to? How often do you do it?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Well I used to get a flower from my husband on a Valentine's Day but we both don't really care much about it nowadays. To get those roses is very expensive and we have a baby who will grow older soon and therefore needing more things in life so we focus on saving those money instead.

It does feel nice to get flowers sometimes though but it is not necessary to me.

3. scottguy

scottguyNew Member

Threads:
    I will get flowers for my girlfriend on occasion but I think that getting them TOO often makes it a bit less special when you do. I think it's important to give them to the right girls on the right holidays-- mom for mother's day, girlfriend/wife for anniversaries, and DEFINITELY DEFINITELY both for birthdays. Don't forget the birthdays!!!

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I give flowers to my Mom at least once a month on random occasions. She and I love having fresh flowers in the house and I like surprising her with them and making her feel special. I rarely go to expensive florists for the flowers, I really like to buy her the $15 mixed flower bouquets from street vendors--they smell great and last almost a week.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's really nice from you forex, I don't think I know many (or any!) people that offer flowers to their mothers once a month, meaning, not being a special occasion. When I buy flowers I never do it in the more expensive places either, what's the point? Sometimes I don't even make those special wrappings that cost extra too, I just bring the flowers and that's it.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly give flowers to those who are ailing. I think it brightens a room. Even if the person is at home and not at the hospital, there is something cheerful about staring at a nice bouquet of flowers. In the town where I live, there are freshly cut flowers sold every Saturday. Sometimes if I am having a dinner party or overnight company, I will purchase a bouquet of flowers and put them in small vases all over the house. This is another nice way to show company you have anticipated their visit and are happy to have them. On a website for French culture, it also suggested sending a bouquet of flowers the day of a diner party so that it can be displayed during it. I have never done this for my French friends beforehand but I have brought them a bouquet of flowers for dinner when I arrived.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I give flowers to my wife but not nearly that frequently, usually just for Valentine's Day and her birthday.
    I'd like to do it more often to be honest but it's just a really expensive habit. I know she enjoys it but it's kind of hard to justify spending $20 or $30 for something that dies after a couple of days.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    There are alternatives to spending so much money though Strykstar, for example, instead of buying some flowers for $20 or $30 you can buy a single rose that will be equally appreciated, and this can go for about $5 for example. Also, it's true that they last one week if that much, but the gesture remains forever in the heart of the one we make the offer to. :)

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of women in my life: my mom, my grandmother, my sister and a lot of my friends. All of them I give flowers on occasions I find it necessary to have them given it like during anniversaries, birthdays, weddings, and the likes. I couple it with a short message and another gift say like a book to give it more accent, and to make it even more touching.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    OK 003, when I started reading your post I got the wrong impression! :D I think you do well in offering flowers to family members, but to female friends as well, isn't that a little uncommon? I mean (you're a guy right), when I give flowers to women that are not family, it's usually the wife or girlfriends I used to have. Don't they think you're up for something more?

11. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I usually buy my Mom flowers or a beautiful plant for Mother's day, but for the past couple of years I've been sticking with buying her a nice plant. She loves plants, which must be where I got my green thumb and when plants are taken care of they really are a gift that a person can keep for a lifetime.

12. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Sweet question. Thanks for asking. I have given some to hubby, and I do know guys do like to get flowers. But ya know what? I give them to myself. No kidding. I'm not ashamed to say that.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    To the husband and other guys? That is surprising, I would not enjoy to receive them, but actually I had a girl offering me flowers (flower to be more exact) and it was a scene from the movies, she swam through a pool (an water park to be more exact) with a red rose on her teeth and gave it to me... Embarrassing because a few minutes later my girlfriend appeared... :D Ah, good teen days!

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't anymore. I used to give flowers to girlfriends, but the last THREE times I have ordered flowers from InterFlora they have dumped the flowers out in the open when they have not received a reply from the door and when the girlfriends have come home they have found the flowers have been taken.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ouch, that really bad business from that company dean, what's the policy with deliveries if no one is at home, to leave them on the floor? Also, if the delivery is done during day time it's better to ask for the flowers to be delivered at work, in that way you will always get someone to receive them. I don't recall making many deliveries no, they are too expensive, I prefer to buy them myself.

16. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I give fresh flowers to my Mom and my Daughter-in-law and I often use them as hostess gifts. It's nice to be able to give something beautiful just because and I know that sometimes a dust collecting gift that they will have forever losses it's emotional stimulating value almost as quickly as flowers. Mom has way too much stuff and it's hard to find the right gift for a dinner party hostess when you just don't know them all that well.

17. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    You know, thinking back on it, I don't know that I've ever bought flowers for anyone. Not to sound demeaning to those folks who do buy flowers as gifts, but they seem like a fallback present when you don't know what else to buy a person, and I usually make it my business to research good gifts well ahead of time. I think the only person I'd buy flowers for is my mother-in-law, 'cause she has a green thumb and would probably plant them in her garden.

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This morning, we went to the Sunday market where they sell almost all kinds of items, from foodstuff to plants. I bought a big bouquet of Malaysian mums that are so pretty yellow. It is a religious practice for me to put flowers in the altar. But this time, I put the bouquet in the grotto. That is my devotion to my belief that the flowers can serve as petition for my prayers.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a girl, and I have only given flowers to one person in my life and that was my late mom. I think flowers can be a waste of money since it wilts, so I would rather use the money to buy something practical and long lasting rather than something that wilts.

20. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I give flowers occasionally, if there is an event or celebration like a birthday, a get well soon gathering, anniversaries, and the like. In the past I used to give flowers to my significant other frequently, but now that we are not together anymore, I don’t have anyone to give flowers to anymore. The last time that I bought flowers was for her during Valentine’s Day, and she was really happy about it and she thought that it was really sweet of me. I think anyone given flowers to will really like it and they will feel special since it shows care and love. It is a good sign of caring for someone and can be done in any occasion which would also determine what kind of flowers to give and the different colors they have to make it suitable for that specific event. On that note, I have not been given any flowers to lately, and I will really feel happy and significant if someone would offer me some.