Who does Martial Arts?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by ktrevino93 • Aug 10, 2012.

1. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    I'm curious to see how many Martial Artists we have here. If so, tell me what martial art you do/have done, and how long you've been doing it. I think Martial arts are a great way to stay in shape and also teach you how to protect yourself.

I've been doing ninjutsu for about a year and I don't see myself ever quitting. Since then I just notice a general increase in balance and reflexes. As well as being in the best shape of my life. So, anyway I'm interested in your martial arts experiences.

2. chocbunny

chocbunnyNew Member

Threads:
    I did kickboxing before I moved overseas. I loved it. The people were amazing, and my fitness levels improved exponentially. There was something so satisfying about it. I was never bored like I was at the gym. Perhaps I'll find a club over here, as just talking about it makes me really want to go back!

3. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Wing Chun is the system/art that I practice and love.
    I'm not going to directly compare WC to any other style out of pure respect of other MA styles.
    But I can tell you the main core concepts we focus on in Wing Chun are:

-Speed
    -Efficiency (Creating the most amount of force with the least amount of effort, finishing an opponent as quick as possible, the quickest path of attack, mechanical efficiency of the body)
    -Minimal Use of brute force (being relaxed delays fatigue and increases power and speed)
    -Simultaneous attack and defence.
    -Developing sensitivity

As for multiple attackers; Yes we practice this quite frequently and like any other martial art, it would depend on the skill level of the individual to determine it's effectiveness for that situation. But if you adhere to the concepts of Wing Chun and draw upon the instincts instilled into you by your training, I believe Wing Chun is extremely practical for multiple opponents.

(I know it's a movie but check out IP Man v 10 black belts scene.)

[video=youtube;v1Cb2d0ZUVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Cb2d0ZUVs[/video]