Who Has The Best Potato Skins

Discussion in Food & Drink started by elite1fl • Feb 5, 2015.

1. elite1fl

elite1flMember

Threads:
    One of my favorite appetizers when going out to a restaurant is potato skins. I've tried to make them myself at home and it always turns out to be an epic fail. My personal favorite is TGI Fridays Loaded Potato Skins. They used to have a special herb type sour cream they served which made them even better, but they did away with it and I don't know why. Now they just have green onion, sour cream. What's your personal favorite?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wasn't aware that other restaurants had these. Maybe I need to get out more. I like those potato skins though. I usually get them at the grocery store because it saves money as when you go out you have to pay a tip.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work at TGI Fridays and made tons of these, lol. They come in already halved and scooped out, and partially cooked. The cooks just thaw them out, then drop the skins in the fryer for a bit, before adding the toppings and then broiling them. You could totally make these at home if you picked up a bag of small potatoes, and baked a bunch in the oven, then cut them open and scooped out some of the inside. The only thing is you would need to waste a bottle of oil to deep fry them, if you wanted them like the restaurant version. Alternately, you could probably just brush them with some oil instead and broil them until they get crispy before adding the toppings and broiling again.

I also liked to fill them with spinach & artichoke dip, and some crumbled bacon on top.

4. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest with you, I can't stand potato skins.
    I tried the TGI Friday's one when I went for the endless appetizers a few months back.
    Needless to say, I took one bit and stopped; I can't remember if I spit it out or actually brought myself to swallowing it though.
    I love french fries (even with the skin still on them) but this is something I cannot do.