Who owns a website?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ProForums777 • Sep 7, 2012.

1. ProForums777

ProForums777New Member

Threads:
    HostGator is offering $9.94 off their deal, is like getting one month for free. What do you guys think, is it better to go with a pay server or one of those free domain hosting sites like Webs? Personally I think is better to pay for your website, free domain hosting usually comes with low modification templates. If you have a domain or website, let me know who you got it with and why? Thanks...

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I bought my domains through GoDaddy. I actually have some of them hosted through Blogger, which is free, but it's not like a lot of the other ones out there that require ads or are constantly down. Because it's owned by Google, it's pretty reliable. And I can still edit my code in order to customize my sites how ever I want.

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I' not a fan of blogger as i can't install plugins and the only codes you can edit is probably just the html and css. Are your site constantly indexed unlike having sites hosted from somewhere else?

4. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't got my own site yet but I think it's best to go with someone like blogger. Places that have been around for many years will give you less problems and won't unexpectedly shut down.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few blogs but they are hosted under blogger. I think I'm not yet ready to commit on a paid hosting site because I'm quite busy really and I don't think that I can constantly write for any of my readers considering that I have a very busy schedule right now. Anyways, I'm going to try it out in the future after I'm done with my college course.

6. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I have a site through Blogger currently. I am looking into getting my own hosting as well. I know someone who uses HostGator and likes it. He hasn't had any problems with it and they have a live chat where someone will help you with knowing how to set up your blog, plugins, etc. I'm afraid I don't know too much about it yet, but he seems to be satisfied with it.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, google has shutdown tons of blogs hosted by blogger.com and I have never heard of anyone that has recovered it. So If you host your blog or website on a hosting company, chances are you can still recover your contents and files to move to another. These hosting companies will give you a chance to get it back.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    What plugins do you need that you can't use in Blogger? And what else do you need to edit?

And yes, the site is indexed just like everywhere else. It's owned by Google and they're constantly crawling.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I own a few. Hosting is so cheap nowadays I don't see why not to go that route. You can get a years worth for less than $60. Unless your site is getting a ton of traffic and/or people are downloading a lot of stuff off of it, you would be fine with one of these shared packages. I worked for a small online school years ago that started out using a shared hosting package. It wasn't until a couple years later that we switched to a dedicated server.

10. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have a forum in a paid domain $15 for one year. I think that it is just rightful to be in a paid domain because I noticed that people seem not to trust free domains. :D I am one of those who do not trust websites in weebly and other blogs so when I started mine I really decided to be in the paid one. :D

11. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    I like hostgator a lot but I also like bluehost a lot as well. I've tried both but i'm with bluehost right now. I feel like their customer service is much better and their servers are much more stable.

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I own a few websites, and I absolutely hate free servers. They're way too restrictive for my purposes, and I like to have complete control over what I do. I like hostgator, though, because for a relatively low price, I can host all the domains I want. I've had instances where a client (I used to be a serious programmer) wanted me to build them a site, and I was able to host it for them at a fraction of what it would otherwise cost them, and having two or three such clients completely covered the cost of my hosting.

13. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I can't believe you can get your own site for $15 a year. Is that really low or about average? I know the price has come down. It seems like you could give it a try and not have a whole lot invest in it. I thought Godaddy went more for $60 a year, or is that also outdated?

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    You also forget that you can't monetize a "free" website. I started a blog and learned that through WordPress. In the spring, I'm going to establish my own website through Enterprise Web Design and you can get some good prices.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, sort of. You can get a domain name for $15 a year (or cheaper than that if you catch one on sale), and it's been that way for as long as I can remember. If you were paying godaddy $60 a year, you were probably also paying for hosting. Hosting and a domain are not the same thing. You can buy a domain and still be lacking a host. If you put a paid domain over a free host, then you'd essentially have a website for $15 a year... but I wouldn't advise this if you're trying to make money for the reasons andrew mentioned-- you can't monetize a site that's hosted for free.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get my domains from 1&1 and my hosting is GVO. Good service and training.

17. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen adverts for gvo. As I understand it, they're only good for making a specific type of website. Is that true?

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of GVO. Who are they? Have you had any problems with 1&1? I haven't heard great things about them.

I have a few websites. My main domain registrar is Namecheap. I love them. I will buy a domain from GoDaddy when they run the 99 cent sales.

My websites are hosted on Hostgator. I have been with them for years and have never had a problem.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not really getting any savings with my websites. I simply ordered green hosting cause I think the environmental way is better, but I have to pay more. Anyhow, though, on top of green hosting, I get a lot of stability. The chance my websites will go off the air or have some other malfunction are very low. Nonetheless, there is stable hosting that is cheaper - but it isn't green.