Whole Grain Pasta or Regular Pasta?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cards538 • Jul 11, 2012.

1. cards538

cards538New Member

Threads:
    Which do you think is better- whole grain pasta or regular pasta? I personally prefer whole grain pasta because of all the health benefits even though it is a bit more expensive and doesn't quite taste as good. I guess it depends on what dish I'm cooking, but I usually use whole grain pasta. What do you think? Sometimes whole wheat pasta can geta bit too grainy and be hard to digest for me which I kind of dislike. Anyways please share what you think with me!

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer whole grain pasta as well. Not only is it healthier, but I find it tastes better as well. Regular pasta tastes bland to me now. It's a little bit more expensive than regular pasta, but being healthy is cheaper than the alternative in the long run, so I think it's a worthy investment regardless of taste.

3. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I would buy the whole wheat pasta if it was just me eating it but I couldn't ever get my husband to eat it when I bought it. I even tried mixing it with regular pasta but he just doesn't want to eat it so I have to stick with the regular stuff. I agree that it doesn't quite taste as good as the regular but it is probably just a matter of getting your taste buds used to it.

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the regular pasta because it taste better. Healthy or not if I don't like the taste I won't eat it. I'll eat other things that can be a replacement for not eating whole grain pasta. Fruits and vegetables are my main alternative, along with whole wheat bread. You can substitute one healthy dish with another that's what I always do. I rarely eat pasta, but I always go with the regular one, as opposed to the whole grain kind.

5. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if it is whole grain, but I buy a brand of pasta called Dreamfields. It has "digestible" carbs which are better for you.
    However, based on taste, I would probably rather eat regular pasta :D

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that the regular pasta because in my opinion, it tastes better and of coarse it is cheaper too. I'm saving a lot now so I have to continue doing it. Also I could say that whole grain pasta lacks something that I couldn't figure out. The taste is good but regular pasta just taste's better.

7. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I have wholegrain and regular pasta in my cupboard and I have to admit that my hand always reaches out for the regular pasta. Like all of you I just prefer the taste. Now and then I will go on a health spree and make a bowl of wholegrain pasta for myself but this gets done very rarely.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I like whole grain pasta but I love regular pasta...I do know that the wholegrain is healthier for you though. So, now when I make pasta...I combine the two equally so we all enjoy it very much this way. It is quite yummy eating them both together along with whatever sauce you have prepared.

9. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I like whole grain pasta for the health benefits, and as I buy organic it doesn't cost me any more than white pasta. The taste isn't quite as good, but it works well with really rich sauces where the flavour is overpowered somewhat. I keep a bag of good quality white pasta in the house for a treat or lighter sauces, but try and stick to wholemeal. I try and buy in bulk to save money on things like pasta too, or share it with friends and family, it has saved me a fortune!

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer regular pasta usually. I will sometimes buy whole grain and yes, it has more health benefits....but really, if I'm eating pasta, I'm probably not on a health kick right then anyway, so it's okay to indulge a little, especially when I usually don't like the taste of whole grain pastas anyway.

11. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    We normally have regular pasta, but I notice whenever we eat out, the restaurants use whole grain. To be honest, they all taste the same to me :D I'm not that huge on eating healthy - not religiously, so I don't really care what sort of pasta, cheese, milk, sugar, etc that I eat/use. Everything in moderation and I exercise regularly. My last check-up turned up better than I had expected, so I'm not going to sweat about what type of pasta I eat.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I eat regular pasta, because I'm not going to make myself eat something just because it might be benefictual. Also I don't have money like that.

13. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Although I try to eat as much whole wheat, multigrain and whole grain foods as I can, the whole wheat pasta is disgusting and has absolutely no flavour. When it comes to pasta, I'll have to stick with white. Absolutely gross eating fettuccine alfredo with brown pasta.

14. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Wholegrain for me.

I have gone past the stage of eating for taste. Not that there's anything wrong with my taste buds. It's just that I feel that my health is more important. So when I use flour, I use wholemeal flour. When I cook rice, I use unpolished rice.

Are they tasteless? No, not at all. They have their own taste. The main difference, according to my mouth, is that the wholegrain stuff is a bit more coarse. As for the taste, it's all in the cooking.

15. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I love all kinds of pasta, but I can't eat alfredo sauce with whole grain pasta. I can eat marinara sauce with whole grain pasta, though. I try to eat whole grain pasta over white pasta, but if I'm splurging I'll go for white pasta.

16. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Refined grains are stripped of their nutritional content when being processed. Whole grains retain more of the natural goodness like vitamins, nutrients and fibre. Whole grain are better than other grains, but you shouldn't rely on just wholegrains alone to give you health benefits. Eating more fruit and veg is a better option to wholegrains.

17. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I mix it up a little, but rarely get the actual whole grain pasta. I like to get Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta when it is on sale. It has more vitamins and also fiber. I also like to get a vegetable pasta but I forget the name of it at the moment (it is in a green box and is also a little more expensive.) This has tomato, spinach and carrots in the pasta. Then sometimes I just get regular old pasta, it depends on if the other pastas are on sale or not.

18. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I usually combine the two as well - it makes for more interesting flavour and texture. It tastes great with a tomato-based sauce, tuna and peppers. Try it that way. I also cook vegetable pasta sauces, which I serve with just the wholegrain pasta. It's a matter of finding natural pairings. Tuna and vegetables are great with wholemeal pasta, but meat sauces taste better with the regular stuff. There's no reason why you chouldn't eat regular pasta now and again - all pastas are healthy, unless they're served with calorie and fat-laden sauces.

19. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Whole grain pasta is actually incredibly cheap. It's only a few cents more than regular pasta, unless you can find it on sale, in which case the price is the same.

20. LaCookie

LaCookieNew Member

Threads:
    I know whole grain pasta is good for you, and that's the usual choice for me, but my significant other doesn't really like it. He says he never knows when to stop cooking it because it always feels undercooked to him! I like the taste of white pasta, but want the health benefits of whole grain, so I tend to opt for 'smart' varieties of pastas, if they're available. Catelli is pretty good for me, and in my area, I can get it on sale for $1/pack.