Wholesale clubs worth it?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Mayvin • Aug 2, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking of joining a wholesale club like cosco, bj's ect... to save some money but wonder if the membership fee cheapest $50 is really worth it and do you really save any money? Have people found that they actually save?

2. junebug

junebugNew Member

Threads:
    I'm also thinking of joining a club. (thought I've said this in the past and have yet to join) I do not have a family to buy for so I wouldn't need to be buying a ton of stuff in bulk. But I like other aspects of the clubs - I've had really good food that came from Costco (cakes, bread, etc) and I think there are pretty good deals on non-food items. I'm curious to hear what other people have to say, and also curious which store you'd recommend.

3. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    My husband and I were a member of Sam's for about a year and honestly, I don't suggest it. Yes, the items might have lasted a little longer but the up-front cost just wasn't worth it. Now, we just go to Walmart for a monthly stock-up trip. I might have to stretch the ingredients a little further or not use so much of one but I can usually make it all last until the next stock-up trip. Since we stopped going to Sam's, we have actually saved about $50-$100 on groceries every month. Unless you are 100% sure that the items you buy at a club will last for months and months, I don't suggest it. Just come up with a monthly budget for groceries and stick to that.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to go to Costco for a mystery shopping assignment and it's not worth it at all. There's nothing in there that you can justify the cost with and don't even get me started on the pizza. I love pizza but theirs is gross. Sam's Club is pretty good. I love their pretzels and sometimes they have good bulk freezer items. They also have had good samples once in a while. It's probably not worth it when you consider the membership cost but if I was going to choose a club I'd pick Sams. Though I don't have the experience with the other clubs but they don't seem that appealing.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They are worth it only if you have a really big family for if you have a business. They are worth it if you buy by bulk, then the discount surpasses the fees you have to pay.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a member of Costco and I consider my membership to be well worth the price. The Costco near me sells gas and it's at least 10 to 15 cents cheaper at Costco. Gas at a regular station is a little over $4.00 now. It was much higher. I can get gas at Costco for $3.85.

I also save a lot on vitamins and supplements. Buying eyeglasses through the optical department saves me a ton of money and I get great days on tires and weekend car rentals. It really depends on what you buy. I'm single so I do need bulk food items, but every once in awhile, I find a great deal.