Wholewheat bread or white?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Sep 12, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Choosing bread can be a dilemma, we are told to always go for wholewheat or multigrain and not white bread as it is not as healthy. Often I am face with so much choice I can't decide which ones to go for, several grain, wheatmeal, a mix of white and brown, seeded, granary, wheatgerm etc.

I go for thick wholegrain usually, but sometimes their is a nice white crusty fresh baked loaf in the bakery that smells so good and I can get tempted.

How do you decide, sometimes I pick up more than a dozen before I can decide and then go for something on offer.

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I go for wholewheat for sure, but my boyfriend likes his white potato bread (apparently it makes a difference when you're eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich). I end up buying both at the market, and my boyfriend will usually interchange between what bread he wants.

But say I've had wheat bread a lot and I'm just sick of it, I would definitely get the white bread. Though there's so many variations of the wheat bread now (with nuts, without nuts, etc) I don't usually get too tired of it. I would only pick white bread if I was going out to eat with friends or something, just as a treat :)

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up on white bread. Now, I have lost my taste for white bread. I don't even like plain whole wheat bread. I prefer a multigrain bread. I have started eating sprouted bread. Sprouted multigrain with flaxseed is my current bread of choice.

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I only eat white bread. I have ate wheat bread before but I did not like how it taste. It may be healthier than white bread but it is nasty to me.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Somethings do taste better on white bread, like a fried egg sandwich with tomato ketchup. Buttered toast always tastes better on white too, though I always ask for wheat in a cafe and wish I had asked for white when I see other peoples!

At least in your house, you don't run out of bread if you buy both.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I don't touch the stuff. The wheat flour used in bread is made from wheat flour. It's a GMO and has serious health complications later in life.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I can't stand white processed bread and never buy it. I occasionally buy white bread fro the local bakers as that is lovely. I much prefer wholemeal or granary breads so I will usually opt for these. I really like Weight Watcher's Malted Danish too.

8. klarson

klarsonNew Member

Threads:
    I'm gluten intolerant, so I avoid both like the plague. For you people who can eat wheat, though, wheat bread is definitely better for you than white bread. White bread is a terrifying food. Just Google "white bread unhealthy" and you'll see- components of white bread isn't just bad for you, it actually takes whatever's good for you in your food out of the food! Goodbye to all the healthy vitamins and nutrients in the lettuce and tomato on your BLT! If you must eat bread, stay as far away from white as you can.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Prefer white bread. Wheat bread is just too grainy for me and I can't enjoy it. I also read somewhere that wheat bread is pretty much just white bread with grains in it anyway so I don't think it's really that much healthier, but I'm not sure. Whatever the truth is though, I'd just stick with what I enjoy and instead try and find healthier alternatives somewhere else.

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer whole wheat bread these days. I think it has a bit more flavor than white bread. I try to buy from my local bakery as much as I can. They have a whole wheat loaf with a seed mix on top that is heavenly.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer any type of multi-grain/whole grain variety in most cases. However I usually buy both types of bread because there is a time and a place for both of them. I wouldn't want to make a bread stuffing for example, out of stale whole grain bread - it would have too nutty of a taste. Similarly, I wouldn't want to make home made croutons from it either. Whole grain bread would be gross in french toast too, imo.

But for pretty much everything else, I prefer the texture and taste of whole grain breads. They go fantastic with spicy mustards, lunch meats, and fresh veggies. I also love them for toast in the mornings, topped with natural peanut butter and grape jam. The nutty flavor of the bread goes perfectly with the peanut butter.