Why Android > Iphone Every Time

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ScipioPro • Feb 19, 2015.

?

Which phone is better in terms of cost?

1. Android

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Iphone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    I'm going to chime into the smartphone debate. I have always believed and will always believe that android is ultimately the better choice(until new evidence arrives.)

Primary reasons being

- Overpriced iPhones: iPhones are incredibly expensive in terms of hardware specs and software capabilities. Between phones of equal costs, iPhones will always lose. I wish to note I am talking about NON-Contract costs.

Example

iPhone 5c($450) vs Google Nexus 5($350) specs

The nexus even though cheaper, is slightly superior to the 5c.

- Android OS is more customizable: There are a couple reasons why iPhone users choose iOS over android.

1. Jailbreaking - Which allows them to get free apps from the app store (something similar can be done on android, but more risky and not as rewarding)

2. iOS is very clean and stabilized.

However, the first reason is against Apple's TOS and can be done on Android, albeit more risky. And the fact that you can customize Android(unlike iOS) defeats the second point.

- Repairs are MUCH more costly for Apple Products

If you break your screen on an iPhone it's going to cost at least triple than that of an android because of the way the phones are designed. Apple does not like customization of their phones. The same goes with chargers(which change for every iPhone, but androids only require a USB)

So I would like to hear some more points on both sides of the argument. What do you guys think?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For one, iPhones aren't overpriced since millions of consumers worldwide are willing to pay the price for these devices. Nothing is overpriced if a large number of people are willing to pay that price. That means the item in question is priced properly, and the example you used for the 5C and Nexus 5 is a terrible argument. The Nexus 6 costs $649, which is the same price as various iPhone models and the norm for most smartphones. What about the Galaxy Note Edge that costs $849? That's $200 more than a base iPhone 6. See, I can manipulate numbers to fit an agenda, too.

3. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah you are right iphone is not overprice but its just that Android phones is much cheaper. For those who like simple yet elegant design buy apple while if you like rich design like me buy Android. However right now with the arrival of Iphone6 and 6+, I think I would choose them than Samsung S5.

4. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Someone being willing to buy a product, does not negate that price being overpriced. There are several companies that sell bottles of water for up to 100s of dollars, see example below. Even if we were to assume only the top 1 percent of our world would buy this water, that would still be 70 million people, which is a large number according to your argument.

As for your second part of the argument, the nexus 6 has better features and specs than the iphone 6 plus, the newest model

Now compare the previous 2 with the note edge

The note edge still surpasses the iphone. You've only further reinforced my points.

5. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think that's how it works. I have an iPhone and even though I can afford 5 of them I still consider the phone to be overpriced. Just because a lot of people buy into something that doesn't mean it's not overpriced. I say it's 'overpriced' because compared to it's competitors that have the same price, the iPhone is behind in terms of the features and functions it offers.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    iOS has better software support, mostly because Android users don't bother to pay for software. So, that's one thing.
    Really tho, are you just trying to stir up an argument with someone here, or something?

7. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    In terms of software support I have to disagree. I am not trying to stir up an argument, I am merely presenting the facts why android is simply the better choice in 90 percent of the cases. I will give the iPhone credit for its camera, which is MUCH better than most phones and only the Galaxy can compete. However, android still dominates in several other areas.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that's fine and all, but some explanations would be nice? iOS has WAY more high quality software developed for it, and that's just a fact. Developers don't want to waste money on Android just to get their software pirated.

Those are not facts, those are opinions.

9. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Once again someone has provided a false assertion.

1. You claimed software support in your previous post, not the quality of software. You do realize that people can jailbreak iphones easily correct? Your point on developers not wanting to get their apps pirated is ludicrous, considering jailbroken iphones get their apps FREE. Second in terms of software features android still reigns supreme

2. Unfortunately these are facts. They can be proven as I have already proven them by linking to the data that suggests they are true.

10. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    Personally, it's not even about the cost for me. It's the simple fact that android doesn't lock you into anything the way Apple's products do. The fact that android costs less is just a bonus for me. But if you're someone that likes to tinker with your tech, Apple products are NOT the way to go.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:

Software support does not only encompass "tech support", but variety of other things, including software library. Why do you think games will tell you they "support linux"?
    And it's cool that people can jailbreak and whatnot, but that doesn't mean anything. Most people don't jailbreak. On the other hand, most Android users pirate.

(this one is a bit misleading, since the 95% includes amazon's free app of the day as well, but point stands)
    etc., etc.
    Why do you think Android doesn't get as many high profile apps and ports that iOS does?

That's cool and all, but none of your "facts" mean that "Android is better every time". Especially since you're comparing apples and oranges.

12. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    1. The first link you provided does in no way prove that more android users pirate than Ios users, I'm guesing you didn't even read the article and you just googled links to post. The article is talking about free apps vs paid apps, and how android users would rather download the free ones than pay for the iphone. This can be explained very simply by the fact if you are willing to pay for an iphone you are willing to pay for paid apps, because obviously you are not the type of person who logically thinks about their purchases.

2. Your second link, I'm guessing you didn't read this one either as you would have seen the inherent flawedness. First it's an anti android site. Secondly it's drawing a massive generalization based on the piracy of one app supposedly claimed by a company, even though nothing on their site suggests so. Invalid source

3. An iOS developer talking about android, he's completely unbiased. Yet he doesn't even mention jailbreaking which is much easier than any piracy that android users can perform XD.

4. You fourth link states PIRACY RATES ARE HIGHER ON IOS THAN ANDROID. I rest my case

5. Only one app was tested, but I see nothing wrong with the source's validity

However, my points still stand. Jailbreaking is a much easier form of piracy and its just as widespread if not more than android users.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think in terms of cost you really can't go wrong with choosing an Android over an iPhone since Apple is admittedly way overpriced for the average consumer. However, I don't agree that the worth of Apple products compared to Androids can be boiled down to mere specs. Apple products work well and for a very long time regardless of how much more advanced the materials that the competition uses.

14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I'm huge advocate of Android! A flagship Android phone has way superior specs to the Iphone. Better Cameras, faster processors, more internal memory with the option to expand, more free apps, free music, free wallpapers, free ringtones, universal charging ports, NFC capabilities and they are personalizable. Apple will nickel and dime their customers for everything from songs to chargers, but have a sub par product.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    1. no, not really, it still fits the point of Android being the less profitable platform
    2. "I don't like this site, so I will discredit it". Not even going to bother explaining why that view is silly, but here you go, a pro android site saying the same:

3. Again, irrelevant. No one cares what kind of developers they are. If nothing, that should be a point in and of itself, of why Android doesn't get as much quality software; the devs don't like the platform. Also, saying that jailbreaking is easier than just downloading an apk and tapping on it is just wrong on every level.
    4. Yep, I meant to post this link, got tabs confused

"Jailbreaking is a much easier form of piracy" - prove to me how tampering with your phone and voiding your warranty is much easier than tapping on an apk file.

"and its just as widespread if not more than android users." - nice claim, prove it. All I could find is that number of jailbroken devices seems to be nearing about 20 million, while there's at least 800 million sold devices. Alternatively, I found this, which again, does not even begin to near anything you would call "widespread" -

All in all, if I used your arguments, I would have to discredit everything you just said in this thread, because you made an anti-iOS thread, so you must be biased and give me false info, right?

16. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    iPhones are definitely not overpriced. Looking at the features they give us, I am surprised that they don't charge more. Most iPhones have a GPS, a Slo-mo video feature, and much more. I may be biased as an iPhone user however.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, even my $200 smartphone has GPS... iPhones definitely are overpriced, sorry. It's one of the cases where you don't really pay for the hardware, but for the "prestige" of the brand.

18. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    1. That wasn't the point you were making at all. You claimed that piracy was the biggest issue, please don't flip flop.
    2. A biased source is a biased source, you've at least fixed the source and I concede to this link
    3. And there are some devs who don't like iOS. Android is very well liked platform, especially considering advertising revenue.
    4. Regurgitating the second l ink, but once again I concede.

The burden of proof is on the one who makes the positive claim. You said that piracy is much more widespread on android, therefore you must prove your claim. It is not up for me to disprove your claim.

It's not an anit-iOS thread it's an anti-iphone thread, which still has yet to be disproved.

These are such basic features, if you are led to believe that they are advanced, you have only furthered my point.

#18Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    android is one of the best operating system platform have ever come across the features that are available or not available in any other operating system and i do not think it is available on Teizen. i think there is nothing more cooler than the android operating system most of the apps are free which is not possible in iphone where we have to pay for almost all of the apps. it is one of the disadvantage of having an iPhone.

20. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I am not so sure about that. Appstore paid 10bn to its developers in 2014. Playstore paid 7bn. The difference is that Appstore is the only store and it paid only 10bn. Playstore is just one of the many and in case of countries like China, it is not even the top store. The actual app sales orders of magnitude more. If nobody is buying, who is paying all that money?