Why are Compact Disc still being produced?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by AB9100 • Mar 26, 2014.

1. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    Does any one here still use compact disc such as CD's, and DVD's?. Considering the growing popularity of "Media Files". I would have thought that compact disc would be obsolete by now.

People have ditched media players such as, the CD players, and the DVD players for devices like the iPod, and services like Netflix, and Hulu. These devices, and services work with media files. They eliminate the need for physical disc.
    Media files are also much cheaper, and covenant. You have the option to buy the specific songs you like, instead of buying the whole album. From there you can store them on your computer, external hard drive, or an SD card, and keep them forever. This is particularly useful, because Compact Disc scratch, and break easily. Then you have to buy another copy. Media files save you money initially, and over time.

Which brings me back to my original question. Why are Compact Disc still being produced when the general consumer has no use for them>

2. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    There are probably several reasons, I can't say for sure but I can speculate:

The main one is that there are so many physical disks already produced and such a large amount of money has been invested into the technology that they'll continue to be used until stocks dwindle and eventually run out.

Physical media is also a lot easier to "protect" with DRM (digital rights management) to prevent theft and piracy.

Quality can also be a factor, maybe people still prefer vinyl to digital media as the quality is much higher (well, you can get the same quality digitally, it would just take up a lot more space - probably several GBs). It can also be transported easier en masse, it can actually be quicker to load up a truck with physical media and drive it across the country than transmit it across the internet.

So while they're certainly less common due to alternatives being available, disks and other forms of physical media will still be around for another few years at least.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another reason why companies will still make DVDs and CDs is because of theft. It's much easier to copy a file and send it to a friend or as many friends as you wish to. And even enemies. Movie production companies therefore are more willing to make DVDs and actually make some money from them rather than rely on digital movies which when bought can be uploaded by pirates to numerous sites for free download by people who'd rather not pay for their movies.

Until they solve the piracy threat, IMO, we'll still see DVDs around.

4. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Redbox is pretty popular still so I wouldn't say most people have ditched their dvd or blu ray players. Physical discs are still the cheapest way to go and have the best quality. So there is two reasons right there. 1) Better price. 2) Better quality.

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, for one thing, most people still do watch DVDs or Blu Ray. I don't think that technology is obsolete at all, actually. But I believe a big reason is because if they stopped making discs and relied solely on media files, there would be so much theft it wouldn't even be funny. I could get a movie, put it on a file sharing site, and anyone could watch or download for free. Obviously, people already do share files anyway, but I think that discs are still a way to help combat that.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy CDs anymore but I still keep some of the ones I own. If I were to get a car that had a CD player, then I would listen to them then. Of course some cars nowadays you can plug in your Idevice but even so I like to listen something different. This is going to sound crazy but what I mean is I'm picky with the songs I put on my Iphone so it's nice to have the CDs to revisit songs I haven't heard in a while. It makes me appreciate them more and it saves space on my Iphone to not have to download them.