Why Are Nba-salaries So High?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Feb 5, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I subscribe to a newsletter for a blog about my home-team, the OKC THUNDER. And today I saw the article "

."

Oh, the article talks about how a huge money-flood is hitting the Nba soon (letting all the its employees have a luxurious swim); but it inspired me to ask, "Why?" Why don't they all forego their salaries (saving but a small bit---something like minimum-wage) and letting the government take care of the rest?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's all about the marketplace. Supply of the product and demand from the consumer. The market is willing and able to pay for those salaries, the fans are willing to pay the ticket prices, the advertisers and TV networks are willing to pay the money they do. It might not be right but it's the nature of that industry.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that NBA salaries are crazy. You would think that teachers would be paid more because of the value and importance of their job, but many teachers are struggling to pay their bills. It's not fair.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    So it would require mass-'not buying tickets-etc.' to drive salaries back down? (I forget the word for 'massive not-buying'---ban? repo? sit-out? pay-off? darn 'disease I have, which I also forget the name-of ... ataxia? aphasia? ex-word-remembria?)

Oh, there's also the 'advertising-money' and/or the 'broadcast-rights' ... and probably other things I don't know about ...

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    The money goes where the money flows. I think if people stopped watching the sport there would be far less reason for the salaries. If people suddenly started watching lacrosse, and the media and marketing followed, then you would certainly have salaries there that would reflect the market interest.

6. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    The higher the interest the higher the value. Also the job of a teacher may be more important, the NBA got more support and people who actually like it. There's a ton of money behind something like the NBA, which may doesn't justify the salaries but may explain why it's so insanely huge.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because people have messed up priorities lol. They wouldn't be paid so much if there wasn't such a massive demand for it. I wish someone would pay me so much for playing my fave sport.. all that money and most of them have tantrums when they get their cajillion dollar offers lol. Blech.

8. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't make moral sense as to why there's so much money in that sport, in my view. But that's how society is. Areas that deserve and need money don't get it, while those that don't add as much to society seem to thrive. That's life, unfortunately.

9. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    It's not about moral but about demand. Every sport works that way. If they have a lot of fans and viewers like soccer, NBA, or some others, they'll can ask a lot more money. If you have a sport like chess where not many people are watching, they won't make a lot of money, some yes, but far less a NBA player.

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    What do people get from NBA-games vs. -from education, & which one is worth more?

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly.. but such is life. We live in a selfish society... one that wants instant gratification and puts it above all else. They put far more into their sports than into their child's education.. even putting their all into their child's sports than into their education lol. Parents will shell out tons on sports and go to all their child's games, watch it with them on tv, cheer on their fave team with their child.. raise them to be just like them when it comes to the game. Then morning hits and they tiredly drop their child off at school and go off to their own daily torture without a thought about what their offspring is doing unless the teacher calls.

If people put as much energy into their child's education as they do sports or even their child's extracurriculars.. the world would be a different place.

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You know what it is? Advertising! I bet--if advertisers sponsored school-projects (those both by the students, by the teachers, by the administrators AND for the building of new classrooms & schools)--the advertising would be more-successful & the schools & teachers would have more resources (salaries HIGHER than Kevin Durant!)

13. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    The thing about society is that worth is controlled by money, not by ethnic. I totally agree that education is the more noble cause, but the sad truth is, that people are willing to spend more money on entertainment then on education. I wish it would be otherwise, but that's just how it is.

14. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Morals and economics are two different arguments. I mentioned previously that it was all about the marketplace and what the consumer demanded. But an equitable and cohesive society has to be more than just about who has the biggest wallet.

15. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's one reason more people should give more money to '

'---I know "God doesn't need money" (which is why the link doesn't go to 'a church'), but 'glory costs money' & in order to GIVE the glory to anyone we must OWN it. 'Giving More Money to the people who follow Jesus' therefore gives glory to His father.

16. AlexanderGoodman

AlexanderGoodmanNew Member

Threads:
    You cannot really compare this to teachers though. Simply put, if people were not willing to spend money on tickets, sit in front of the TV to watch games, buy their sneakers, their video games etc. there would be no way that players would earn that much. There is a simple market for it – these teams are not paying the players out of the kindness of their hearts.