Why Are Some Pet Owners Inconsiderate of Non Pet Owners?

Discussion in Pets started by Cheseloo • Jun 5, 2012.

1. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    I have friends with pets and although I love small dogs, I do not own any pets at all. I have such a problem with the way my friends let their pets terrorize their guests, namely me. A friend of mine as a wolf dog, I know that's not the real name for the dog but it is from that species who she lets jump all over me when I visit. I hv clearly addressed the fact that I'm terrified of Big Dogs, but she just laughs it off. Another friend has a sickly dog that will vomit on que that likes to sit right in front of you and stare while you eat. This is rude no? The dog also follows you around in the kitchen while you cook which in my book is a no no for having pets around food. I'm really uncomfortable in their homes. Do you let your pets stress out your guests?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    So then why do you continue to go to their homes? I agree that some of that is definitely rude (like laughing at you when you're clearly scared). If you're that uncomfortable AND nothing is being done about it, then I would suggest declining those invitations and suggesting you guys meet elsewhere. You don't need to be rude about it, but don't hesitate to mention that you'd feel more comfortable when there aren't animals around or something either. Maybe they'll get the hint and agree to put the dogs away somewhere first.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I'm weary of going to peoples house with pets because I've been bit once. I can see how you would be a little nervous. You can tell you friends in private that the dogs are making you uneasy, and could they put them away. If they oblige with what you said then okay, but if they refuse, then don't go to their house anymore. You really can't tell people what to do in their own house, so if push comes to shove you're going to lose this argument.

4. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I understand what you're saying, she certainly shouldn't be letting the dog jump on you. However, as a pet owner who has a big dog let me say I hate having peopel over because I feel like I do the whole time they are there is yell at my dog or worry about what my dog is doing. So it does go both ways.

5. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    why wouldn't I visit my friends home, isn't that what you do with friends when they invite you over? I would think once you tell someone you are uncomfortable with their dog that is the size of a wolf that they would simply put him away.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    If you have tried discussing it with them and they still won't keep the dog away from you when you visit them, perhaps you can meet them somewhere else instead of their home. If it were me and I knew my friend had a fear of my dog, I would put him outside or in another room for my friend's sake. If my friend prefers not to come to my house because of the dog, I also wouldn't mind meeting them somewhere else.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think your friends are simply like many people: inconsiderate. Maybe your friends do not quite grasp the degree to which you are uncomfortable. You need to get your needs met here. So perhaps speaking to them again...or turning them down the next time with the reason why: the pet. That way they can show you the respect you deserve by creating a boundary.

Don't give up until you find a solution that suits all concerned (well, especially you, since this is your life we are speaking about here).

8. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Haven't you tell him that you don't like what he's doing? Come on just tell your friend directly that you don't want his pet to be near you because you're uncomfortable with it. Of coarse you have to tell him that in good manner. I am sure he will understand.

9. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed this with many pet owners. The pet owners with the little mutts often think that, just because they think their little dogs are cute, that everyone else should too and tolerate their annoying yapping. People with big dogs often don't take people who are scared of big dogs seriously.

10. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    Yes more than once. They thought it was funny. I wasn't the only one frightened either. It just being inconsiderate, but maybe I should refused invitations in advnace like some of u said.

11. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    My friend thinks I love her dog when in fact I don't even like it. She always uses her baby voice, "why don't you want to play with nahla", "Nahla's jsut a puppy", "Nahla wants you to pet her".

12. abbywillow

abbywillowNew Member

Threads:
    Well see, here's the thing. To most people (myself included) pets are a part of the family, and are free to do what they do when there are guests in the home or otherwise. If you don't like it, you don't have to enter my home, but I am not going to make my dog stop doing what he normally does to make you feel comfortable. Of course, I have well-mannered dogs who don't jump on people or stare at them while they cook or eat, but I have friends whose dogs do. And I just tolerate it, because every home with pets is different. I feel the same way about kids- while I don't let my kids interrupt adult conversations or be annoying in front of company, I have family who will let their kids run wild when I visit. I don't let my kids (furry and human) just go crazy all day long, but I also will not put my dog in a nother room just because it makes you uncomfortable. If you don't like it, then sorry. You don't have to come over.

On a side note, people should control their pets, just for their own sanity. Can you imagine how your friends' pets act when you're not around? Wow!!!

13. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a pet owner myself. We have a dog. Honestly, I try to be as considerate as possible. Like for example, I do whatever I can to keep him from constantly barking because I know people hate that. And unlike many of the people where I live, I actually pick up after my dog.

I guess some owners are inconsiderate because they think everyone is going to be as accepting of their pet's doings as they themselves are.

14. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I try to be considerate too, but if you are coming to my house, the dog is a part of the house. He doesn't have to go into his crate jsut because you (or anyone) is here. For one, he destroys his crates so it's not an option.

I will keep him from jumping on you, sitting on your lap, licking you or begging food from you (as best as I can at least) but for the most part I will let him do what he normally does.

15. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    If this is a consistent occurrence then why do you going over there? If you have addressed your concerns and they haven't done anything to appease you then there is no point of going over. Also, much of what you complained about is a dog's behavior, like following you around the kitchen.

Although I do think many pet owners are inconsiderate of strangers at times, it's their house and if you don't like it don't go. I personally love all animals and I wish I had a dog at various times so I'd love it if I had a friend who had a Husky.

16. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    You told them that the dog is making you uncomfortable and yet, they have not done anything about it. If I were you, I would just stop visiting. Meet elsewhere, simple as that. The dog that is the size of a wolf is their pet, it's their house, so I think they have the right to let the wolf-dog roam and do whatever he/she wants. Wolf-dog was brought up that way, so you can't really do much about it. As mentioned by a few, pets are like family to many people, so if you can't deal with it, then that's just too bad. I don't own a dog but my MIL does, as well as some friends, and one or two have annoyed me but I love the company of the owners, so I just bear with the pets.

17. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Your friends are clods for exposing you to their untrained or sick animals, especially knowing that it makes you uncomfortable. I have two large, young, excitable dogs, and ALWAYS put them outside or in another confined area of the house when I have guests. I suggest you curtail your visits to these friends' houses if they can't comply with considerate ettiquette.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think many pet owners are just really clueless. They love their pets and treat them like family and just don't really believe that other people would have a problem with them. I see this same behavior in many parents who don't control their kids and just let them run willy nilly.

I had a friend who not only had dogs, but ran a pet sitting business. I just couldn't take it. I stopped going over to her house. The dogs had free reign and her house smelled badly. Her car was worse. She asked why I didn't spend as much time with her. I told her many times, but it didn't seem to sink in. I chose my sanity over our friendship.

19. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Maybe so, but if they don't, then that's no longer on them. If you don't want to be there, then don't be there, ya know? I have declined invitations to people's houses before because I wasn't comfortable being in their homes. It's only as personal as you make it. They're not being respectful, then it's not like you're being disrespectful by declining either.

20. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I know people with pets who feel , the pet lives here and the visitor, as such, should tolerate their pets behavior. I run an animal rescue, I have my own pets as well as foster pets and i am considerate of guests to my home, I will put the dogs out in the kennels in the backyard and if need be, confine the cats who like to rub on peoples legs, to the bedroom. I understand people being fearful of my dogs, they are huge dogs, even though they are 77 and 82 pounds of puppy, their size is definitely intimidating to someone who has a fear of dogs. I also understand people may not want kitty hair on the bottom of their pants due to one of my over affectionate kitty's. I suggest you politely ask if the pet could be confined to a bedroom during your visits to your friends home, if this is seen as a rude or unacceptable request then I would think your friend has little consideration for your feelings and friendship.