Why Buy When You Can Make It Yourself?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Sep 8, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those of you who like yogurt there's no need to buy yogurt when you can make it yourself.

You'll need milk and a starter. Both are easy to obtain.

Buy unflavored yogurt which contains active yogurt cultures. You'll use this as your starter.

> Boil the milk.
    > Let it cool.
    > Mix the milk with the starter in a large container. How large it is depends on how much yogurt you want to make. But I recommend "starting small."
    > Add a little sugar to the mixture.
    > Cover up the container. Make it air tight.
    > Give your yogurt a 24 hour incubation period.

Enjoy your yogurt.

2. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Nice short little guide which I think some will get and others will have trouble with. You can easily find guides online and even videos on Youtube that can help you. The great thing about making something like yogurt yourself is that you can do whatever you want with it. Heck, you can throw in some nutella if you wanna go crazy.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love this! I can just make my own yogurt at home and so I would not have to worry about bulk buying then expiring yogurts. Add to that I can make awesome flavours! Oh, Nutella yogurt you said? That sounds delicious! But I think I will tend to gain more pounds when I do that, instead of losing them because of eating yogurt. LOL. Maybe a fruit salad yogurt is better for me! Yum!

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted to try this out, but I'm not a big yogurt eater on a regular basis, so I was worried I might waste it by not consuming i in time. How long does home made yogurt last? Can you just portion it in to smaller containers and eat it throughout the week, or does it need to be used up in a day or two?

Also, does it need to be strained at all? If so, I'm wondering how much end product does something like a gallon or half gallon of milk yield when all is said and done.

I'm starting to think about maybe making some fruit preserves from scratch in my pressure cooker, then topping them off in jars with some home made yogurt, instead of buying the store bought fruit at the bottom yogurt.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That looks like an easy way to have yogurt. But I guess I would stick to buying yogurt in the grocery store since I regularly go there. And don't forget, grocery stores here often have their so-called bundle sales where you buy 7 pieces and you get 1 free = that's 8 for the price of 7. And if you have a big family, buying 8 bottles of yogurt is practical.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have heard it's also easy to make buttermilk at home but I've never tried it myself. I don't think our groceries carry it or at least it's just not a popular item here so I'll probably have to resort to making it someday since I've been eyeing some recipes that require it as an ingredient. I also think making home made broth is better than buying the packaged ones, but I can't argue that the time and effort those save you is also valuable, so I think it's good to be open to both.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And for those who don't eat animals or their byproducts, you can also make it with most of our staples lol. Super easy and yummy and there are a million recipes all over the net if you choose to look into it :)