Why Do You Think People Are Less Healthier These Days?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Aug 17, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's despite having access to more information on how to be healthy and then, there are physicians all over to consult just in case [though they'll charge you for that]. Some attribute the fact [that many] Americans are unhealthy to work related stress, overeating and probably [for younger ladies] trying too hard to look like the models they see on TV.

Personally I think people are less healthier because most don't eat organic food. All those chemicals in conventional food have to take their toll at some point?

Your thoughts?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. The quality of food these days has gone down dramatically. Also, a lot of people, particularly young ones, don't know how to eat properly. I would say that some alleged "food" that is available in supermarkets, has hardly any nutritional value at all, and personally I wouldn't classify it as "food". And yet, people eat it, because it is cheap, fast, or they are addicted to the flavour enhancers. I am often amazed how ignorant people are about the things they eat, and how it affects their health. Many still regard food and health as separate entities.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly Dora. And not some foods in the grocery store.. MOST foods in a grocery store. They aren't foods at all anymore. Almost none of it is good for our bodies. People are unhealthy overall because they eat garbage and aren't active enough. People are bigger only because of what they eat though.. even when they think they're eating right because as was mentioned, they don't know how to eat and it's not just young people, it's MOST people. Food is the most important thing for us to do right and almost none of us are.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that aside from the quality of food going downhill, some people just don't watch what they eat and they tend to eat fast food often, which is not really the best and beneficial option out there. Plus they exercise less, and eat or even overeat more, so no wonder most people are obese or overweight.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it can be a mixture of things. Life can be so hectic, people are given only half an hour for a lunch break so they don't eat properly and eat something for the sake of it and rush it and don't digest it properly. Also with shift work, eating patterns change and people snack rather than eat proper meals, usually because it is the wrong time to eat.

I remember working at an airport at 4 a.m., it was too early to eat and when I finished at 9 a.m. I was too tired to eat. The shift made me unhealthy and many airport workers do struggle because of their eating patterns and what they are able to eat as well. Many would microwave food on a daily basis which can't be good long term.

Also, food has so many additives, you need to figure out what percentage of it has protein etc. For example a can of vegetable soup has only 10 percent vegetables and is mainly stock, or a macaroni cheese only has five percent cheese in it.

6. vxacid

vxacidNew Member

Threads:
    Having access to information has nothing to do with it. The answer is actually quite simple: it's just a whole lot easier to be lazy now-a-days. I know that I should get regular exercise, but due to a lack of willpower I prefer to stay inside and laze around on the couch. With technology automating more and more tasks for us, it is become even easier to get away with doing nothing. It's like asking a smoker to stop: they know it's unhealthy, but it's hard to stop.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I heard from someone speaking online that part of the reason is because they take so much out of the food that can prove to be fattening which in turn makes them tasteless and bland then as compensation they instead inject them with chemicals or non healthy ingredients like high fructose corn syrup just to make them tasty again. I'm inclined to agree that this is a major cause and it's really a good wake up call to pay more attention the the ingredients in the products we are buying.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that a lot of it has to do with time. There aren't enough hours in the day sometimes. It would take too much time to cook all the time when you have other chores or work to do so all they can really do is get a quick bite to eat.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    The quality of food is a big thing. There are so many chemicals and medications in everything! Not to mention all this fast food instead of people actually cooking and the portion size is out of control. The next thing is less sleep and less exercise. Too many people only get a few hours of sleep and don't exercise, instead sit behind a desk. On top of that stress and the fast pace of life, people never slow down anymore and this hurts their immune system. On top of that all the chemicals in the air and things we buy putting it into our body.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The very reason that people tend to be less healthy these days is due to the quality of life they are living. I think it is important that people take care of their health rather than other personal things, since if the health is not good enough, then you cannot do anything. The fact that people have very bad food practices is the main reason to make oneself less healthy. The various tensions from worklife and personal life adds to the list. If the person starts to enjoy life, then he would never have to worry about anything else other than his health. However, most of the people only tend to worry about everything that surrounds them rather their own health.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think people (Americans) are less healthy today for a number of reasons. The reliance of processed food and its additives. But our sedentary lifestyle plays a big part. A lot of people spend their workday at a desk or inside an office. After a long day working many people are too tired to exercise and opt for something quick to eat like fast food or processed food that can be microwaved.

12. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many reasons why people aren't healthy anymore. They include a sedentary lifestyle, poor eating habits, bad hygiene, and in frequent visits to the doctor for preventive care. Stress is also another factor. Anyone striving to be healthy has to put some effort into it. No pill or surgery can't obtain it for you.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Organic foods have been proven in studies to not be healthier than regular foods, although they do lack chemical residue. However, it comes down to people liking sugar. The main culprit in the obesity epidemic is sugar rather than fats or salts. People that cut manufactured sugars out of their diets tend to lose weight and feel a lot better. Plus, they'll avoid a large number of diseases related to high sugar intake.

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We spend too much time staring at our computer screens and get no exercise. We eat cheaply made food that has all kinds of additives to preserve it and maximize costs for the producer ... and the list goes on. I feel that in a way we lost contact with this Earth of ours. We don't exercise anymore naturally, we don't eat good food - so we pollute both our minds and our bodies all while our health drops.

15. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I agree the more processed foods we eat is helping to make us more unhealthy. Also people are generally lazy. They are lazy to sit and figure out what they should be eating and how much. They are also lazy to do some form of exercise. We eat too much of the wrong foods and it is in my mind a form of addiction. So it is probably more of a psychological problem.

16. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I think the leading factor of the decline of overall health and the rise of obesity is the workaholic culture that has been created over the years. We work for longer hours and have less breaks throughout the day, which leaves us with less time to cook a healthy meal and exercise. Because of this we resort to fast food restaurants and snacks to keep us functioning throughout a work day. We don't pay attention to what we eat anymore, we sit down and watch television or write a report and just eat the fastest and easiest meal to prepare we can find. It takes time and commitment to be healthy, with time becoming more and more of a luxury every day.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Generally, I do feel people are less healthier today than in the past. The reason I say this is because technology has helped take out a lot of mobile skills that were often used when certain devices were not around. People don't walk as often and children certainly do not get enough physical activity nowadays with the constant evolution of game consoles and the boom of the internet w/ social media attach. As for foods, well chemicals in conventional food has been around for a very long time. Organic foods cost a lot of money but some people opt to grow their foods, which could be more cost effective.

18. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I think people arn't as healthy as they use to be. This may be because unhealthy foods seem to be less expensive than healthy alternatives. For example, I burger can be 99 cents a Burger where as a salad would run about 6 bucks. Some towns do not have access to organic foods. Furthermore, technology has made us lazy. People would rather watch television than to go out with friends.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Junkfood and unhealthy food are everywhere and widely available these days, and for affordable prices. On the other hand, organic and healthy food tend to be more expensive. Unhealthy food, such as industrialized carbs and chocolate are bad but taste awesome, it's natural that most people will get addicted to eating those every day, and will leave organic, healthy and expensive foods aside. Also nowadays it's so easy to go by car everywhere, that people lost the habit of exercising. All of those facts count towards having an unhealthy population.

20. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say with so much to choose from at theses fast food resturants you never know what to exspect. Even though people have access to finding out great ways to eat health. It so much quicker I know I am guilty of when I get off from work and dont want to cook I go straight to a fast food resturant just to eat so I dont have to cook and I be knowing that this is not at all healty casue I go to gym 3 times a week. I guess it just the timing and how one feels.