Why Does My Dog's Urine Look So Clear?

Discussion in Pets started by TinVanMan • Mar 31, 2015.

1. TinVanMan

TinVanManNew Member

Threads:
    Recently, my dog (a pit bull/lab) has been drinking a lot of water and urinating too much. I want to give him less water, but he seems very lethargic when I do. I have taken him to the vet and they were not sure what the problem was. They told me to give him the water he wanted. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    @TinVanMan@TinVanMan I can't say that I've had that problem in particular, but I'm sure the urine is clear because of the large amounts of water you say he drinks. Does he always drink excessively, or is it only at certain times? Of course he will drink more than normal after exercise or when he's hot, for example.

Have you examined the color of his urine at different times of the day over a period of a few days to see if it is always clear? It could be it's only clear for a the first few times after drinking a lot of water and then not so much.

If that is the case and there are obvious reasons for the dog to drink a lot of water at times then the vet is probably right and there is nothing to worry about, but if he drinks excessively at all times then I'd be thinking maybe diabetes or something like that.

#2Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Clear urine is actually a good thing (both for dogs and humans, by the way). It means he is properly hydrated. When it's yellow, that's actually a sign of dehydration instead (the darker the yellow, the worse it is).

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting. Have you taken the dog to the vet? It's a possibility that your dog is diabetic. There's a simple way to check that. Please take the dog to the veterinarian & let us know.

5. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    The only time my puppy has clear urine was when he got sick and I fed him home made chicken and rice porridge after his 24 hours of fasting. I always have his water bowl filled so he can have as much water as he wants. But I think @Jessi@Jessi had a good point there.

6. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    My lab is an avid drinker. Haha, that sounds kind of funny. But she loves water. It is part of their breed. The urine is clear because of the high water intake. Clear urine is an indicator of a healthy bladder and absence of acids in the urine. Both good things. We let our lab drink as much as she wants within reason. As the labs get older, they can have problems with their stomachs turning due to hip problems. My lab is almost 6 and so we do make sure she doesn't continuously drink for more than a minute or two. If there are no other problems and the vet says it is not a big deal I would let it go.

7. HNeuman

HNeumanNew Member

Threads:
    @Jessi@Jessi THATS ACTUALLY NOT TRUE AT ALL! Many people believe this, and then senselessly lose their pets. Clear urine in dogs is a sign of KIDNEY FAILURE. it is by no means healthy and a sign of hydration as it is in humans. Dogs drinking a lot and peeing large amounts that are clear is dangerous, and untreated, it will be the death of your dog. Spread the word, and get your dog to a vet immediately.

#7May 15, 2017
  8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Since the vet is not able to figure out any problem with your dog and the urine is clear I would think that your dog is very healthy. Clear urine could suppose that there are no sickness inside your dog otherwise it would have been implicated by the color of the urine your dog passes out. If you still in doubt maybe you can visit another vet.

9. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @TinVanMan@TinVanMan There are some illnesses that dogs can have where the symptoms will be drinking a lot of water. Such as Diabetes mellitus, Cushing's syndrome, Addison's disease, Liver or Kidney problems, Pyometra (uterine infection) which can be fatal, and other illnesses which could be very serious or fatal.

I would take your dog to a different vet and as quickly as possible. Your dog has clear urine because it is drinking so much water. Drinking too much can be a symptom of something else. Don't rely on the one vet. Go and see another one.

#9Jun 11, 2017
  10. sunnygrl12

sunnygrl12New Member

Threads:
    Please don't take advice from people online,always take pet to vet for accuracy.Clear urine needs to be investigated.If your dog is constantly peeing clear urine,it is a sign of kidney disease.I had a dog who had kidney disease but died of cancer,but my sisters dog died of kidney disease.Clear urine is NOT an indication of a healthy dog.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I cannot answer this, but it immediately makes me think of a Shark Tank product that got a lot of laughs, but maybe now I am thinking might have been a good idea. It was basically a home urine testing kit for pets, and it would be nice to have here.