why flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by TuRon Davis • Sep 25, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I think flowers are beautiful and a great way to express how you feel about someone. However, they die and just fades over time. When giving gifts I rather buy gifts that will endure through the test of time. I have had flowers given to me by women over the years and I can't even remember who bought them. Do you prefer long lasting gifts over temporary, or is flowers your ideal gift. This goes for giving or receiving.

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It is kind of interesting to think about how giving flowers became a sign of affection between people. I suppose because there are so many different kinds, they smell good, and have bright colors, that they make a really good gift.

As far as the question, I think most people would prefer lasting gifts, but still like to receive flowers as well as a kind and thoughtful gesture. Let's people know that you think they're special and such.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think the giving of flowers is a tradition going back quite a long time. Once upon a time people didn't bathe very often, so bringing flowers into the home brought a really good smell in. They are also beautiful. I think it really depends on the person you are giving to. I personally have never given flowers because I can't afford a nice bouquet, they are so expensive. But I am very familiar with the tradition of giving flowers for Mother's day, to congratulate someone, to thank someone for something significant.

My dad likes to give flowers, and I enjoy them. I guess in most cases I do not mind that they don't last because I prefer gifts that are consumable and don't just end up cluttering my house or being regifted because I don't have room for it.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think when you are still courting someone, flowers are an ideal gift, but when it comes to friends and relatives, I think something long lasting would be the ideal gift, so that they will always remember you when they look at the item. I also don't prefer flowers, I prefer lasting and tangible items as gifts.

5. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly believe flower giving is overrated. It almost seems like that is the easy way out anymore. I personally find a picture of the couple together in a frame is of more value then flowers. It also comes from the heart and took some time to put together!

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I like both! I give flowers often and it's because generally the recipient likes flowers but would never buy them for themselves because of the reasons listed below. When it comes to gifts I like to give people something they would like AND something that they would never spoil themselves with.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cannot stand being given flowers and I always give them away as soon as I get them. I have given them away on the train, anyone passing. I find them too much responsibility and a mess when they die. I don't see them as a nice gift for me, though I will buy them people who like them. I would much prefer chocolates or a bottle of champagne, something I can enjoy.

I always tell people not to buy me flowers as it's a waste of money.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, technically, you could say they are a waste of money since they just die anyway, but I feel that if flowers make someone happy, it isn't wasteful at all. Flowers can be very cheerful when someone is sick, and some people just love flowers for any occasion. I'm not huge on flowers either, for myself anyway. I love them, but I'd rather have one, long-stemmed, beautiful rose than have someone pay the high cost of buying a do*en. Maybe flowering plants that last would feel more appropriate to you, instead of a few stems that die quickly.

9. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've personally never received flowers as a gift but it seems really sweet, but would I prefer something else? Of course, even if it was something as simple as being asked to watch a movie together with somebody, I would like that, but if someone gave me flowers, I would still be flattered.

This reminds me of a story my mother told me a few years back. When her and my father first began dating, I think it was their three month anniversary or something like that, my mother went and bought my dad flowers, and he was incredibly surprised, and said "No one has ever bought me flowers before." He was really happy with it, and I guess from time to time he'll still bring it up to her.

I thought it was cute.

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Most people choose flowers above other things because that's the way they've been taught. As a child I learned that flowers are the best way to show that you care about a certain person. As I grew up I learned that that's not necessarily true and started gifting flowers just on special occasions, not all the time. With the price I pay on flowers (and they cost quite a bit) I buy some other thing, more useful to the person I buy it for.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Flowers have an ethereal quality about them. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors and are virtually pleasing to one's eyes. I guess that's why, across centuries, people continue to adore them and send them off as gifts. We've also attached too many symbols to the act of giving flowers, so that's why flowers will continue to remain timeless.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like receiving flowers. Though I admit that giving some is a very sweet gesture, I just feel terrible when they die. If you love someone, shouldn't you give something that will last for a long time? If you really want flowers, maybe someone should consider giving a potted flowering plant. That way, the flowers will bloom and bloom again.

13. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    Secretly I don't like receiving flowers or buying them for other people, unless I know they expect flowers. There are a few occasions where flowers are traditional, like Mother's Day, important graduations, or when someone is in the hospital. But generally I think they are a waste of money, and they are going to look awful within a week. I also think it's tacky that they're always wrapped in a bunch of cellophane. Of course, if I happen to receive flowers, I will act grateful because I don't want to be rude. Though, I'd hope if a significant other or family member bought me flowers, they'd know me well enough to buy me a potted plant instead, as it will keep on living for a while. It's just a more sensible gift in my opinion. Sure lots of people are black thumbs but the potted plant could potentially keep living for years. The cut flowers are guaranteed to go rotten really quickly.