Why is homemade better?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by isabbbela • May 31, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why is homemade always better than industrialized? I sometimes wonder that because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Some people say it's because when you make things at home you prepare them with "love". If it because it's less food so the measurements are easier to find? Is it because it's fresh, or because it's not prepared in a hush with a bunch of other stuff?
    Because we could be just talking about homemade Vs industrialized, but most people prefer homemade food VS restaurant food as well... and those are not industrialized.

Do you prefer homemade food? Why do you think it's better?

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a nostalgia thing for a lot of people. We all have our favorite home cooked meals that we swear are the "best" thing we've ever had. So whenever we get to eat that favorite meal, it's just more reassurance of our original opinion.

I wonder if there are studies out there on this topic? It'd be interesting to see what neurological thing happens when we compare home cooked meals to others.

3. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    I prefer home cooked meals because they are generally healthier, depending on what is made. I do not like the processed food that comes out in the industry. Fresh is just better to me.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a chef who thinks he can cook well. The last time I had him cook for us, the food didn't taste that great. The reason food in restaurants doesn't taste that great is because it's cooked in huge amounts. When cooking at home though, you don't cook too much food and you can season it as you please without concerning yourself about who doesn't like what spice and so on.

And to be honest, we all like food cooked in a certain way which is tried, tested and proven to make meals that taste great. It's not a mentality thing for me. I'm a good cook and if food is not better than what I make, I definitely won't like it.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer homemade because I know what went into the meal-usually I'm the one who made it. I'm not against companies that mass produce food. I'm against companies that mass produce low quality food.

6. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Homemade is better if you want your food to be healthier and you can make better choices on what to put in it. Not to mention it always tastes better. Fast food is a business and they really don't care whether the food is healthy. The are just looking for a profit.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I still prefer homemade. Since it's homemade you know you what's in it, you know how it's cooked and you can be assured that it's fresh out of the cooking pot and not the microwave. Also, homemade meals are of higher quality compared to those in most fast food restaurants.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Homemade is better because they are made simpler that they didn't need to have those chemical put in the industrialized and commercial foods bought in the supermarkets and fast foods. Those chemicals are put only for the benefit of the food they are put in, but not for the benefit of the body where those foods will be put into. They are put so that the food will be appealing and will have a longer shelf life, even though they are not good for the body and in fact, instead they are even harmful as they cause diseases or trigger genetic diseases. Further, because industrialized foods have many chemicals on them, they are also caloric dense. They contain high calories, but are not nutritious. They give you energy without making your body really strong and healthy for the long term. It's the reason actually that I avoid processed and industrialized food.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some products that I actually prefer processed, vs. making home made versions of them. There are just some food items which are near impossible to reproduce in a home kitchen, without buying any crazy equipment and/or ingredients. I have yet to try a homemade veggie burger patty that tastes any good, has a genuinely meaty texture, and doesn't crumble apart. The frozen pre-made veggie patties from companies like Boca, and MorningStar are just a better product imo. They've got the food science know how, and unusual ingredients at their disposal to make these things properly.

While I love to make my own chicken stock and other stocks, I still prefer to use Better Than Bouillon brand soup base for some recipes over the home made stuff. It has a much different taste, that I sometimes want in certain dishes.

Guacamole I typically buy prepared as well, since I often get screwed with bad avocados whenever I buy them to make it myself, then end up wasting even more money.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    For me it's not because of the taste or if some are favourite that I like homemade but it's simply because I know how it is prepared and also I'm able to add whatever I like in the food.

I also know that the food is washed properly before cooking it. So it is all about the health and quality for me.

I've been to some restaurants that have "homemade" on some of their menu items but I don't go for that either. It has to be homemade by me :D

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's because the taste is customized to suit you and your family when food is homemade, so the subtle signature difference will always be there in any dish, whereas restaurant food is meant to appeal to everyone so they are a lot more "generic" when it comes to taste so as to sell to a wider variety of people. So where homemade food can concentrate on some flavors and really emphasize on them, a restaurant might not be able to indulge in such a luxury and therefore may have to tone down certain dishes.