Why is it bad to leave opened-can food in the fridge?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by pandandesign • Jan 4, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard you are not supposed to leave any opened-can food in the fridge for too long because of the bacteria or mold or something. I'm not sure if it's true or not. I usually leave it for about one day before I would put the food into a plastic container with a lid on. I wonder why is it bad to leave opened-can food in the fridge?

2. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    I never store cans on the fridge after they have been opened. I believe it is because after removing the lid you are allowing air into the can. Air oxidizes metal and will change the taste of the food. Acidic foods will cause the metal to rust. Always transfer the contents of the can to a bowl (preferable glass) for storage in the fridge. I prefer to use glass over plastic because I am trying to eliminate plastics from my food whenever possible.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed that when you leave open cans in the fridge, the food gets dried out and gets a crust on top because air gets into the can. I'd rather not deal with gross dried out food, so I transfer it to a Tupperware container immediately.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this article can clarify all our doubts, because it's says that the info is from the USDA:

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe cans that are not entirely made of tin can be stored in the fridge but I know that many cans are still made entirely out of tin. The best bet would be to make sure what kind of material is the can made of before keeping it. Actually, just to be safe pour the food into a container and you won't have to worry about anything.

6. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    Storing food in the fridge in an opened tin is a bad idea, but it’s not because of botulism (at least, not directly). One major issue is that with more acidic foods such as fruit juices and tomatoes, tin and iron can leak into the food, which makes it taste unpleasant and can have health effects. The broader problem (and the reason for that last piece of advice) is that once the tin is opened and exposed to the air, food can become dry, absorb other flavours or otherwise turn nasty. That won’t make it poisonous, but it can make it unpleasant.

7. dapapas

dapapasNew Member

Threads:
    My wife had always told me not to do this. I put my kids spaghettios back in the fridge in the can. I put the lid covering it. I always thought she was just crazy. I guess i owe her an apology. Thank alot guys :(