Why is opening a bank account so difficult?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Adeal4u • Apr 30, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    This happened to me a while ago, but I thought I would share my story with you. I wanted to open a bank account, and I thought Citi Bank would be a good choice. I go into the establishment with a check from Google Adsense.

The lady who was helping me was very polite, and she helped me through the process to create a new account. She asked me the name of my last bank account, and I told her I forgot the name. Then she got up and called the manager over to help her with the paper work.

He begins harassing me about what was the name of my last bank account. I told him I didn't know, and I didn't understand why this was so important. The manager started yelling at me, telling me if I don't tell him the name of the last bank, I would have to leave. I got up and left because I didn't want to hear it anymore.

Has anyone else had trouble opening a bank account?

2. TheDespite

TheDespiteNew Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the bank.

Myself, I am using a small local bank with which I've never had any issues, I am not sure if this is because the bank is small and the staff is very good OR because my account is linked to the biggest account in the whole bank.
    Either way, I suggest you try some smaller bank.

Wish you best luck!

3. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I don't like banks. I've had a few not so great experiences, and to be fair, a couple of really good ones, but for long-term financial health for me and for my community, I'm with a credit union and so are my kids. Credit unions offer most or all of the same services as banks, but are non-profit and work for the good of their members.

4. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Not only have I had accounts with both banks and credit unions, I've worked for both as well. Credit unions are definitely the better deal if you have access to one.

OP: I can't believe you were treated that way at a bank who should want your business! Totally unacceptable.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's really disgusting that they would treat you that way. It's almost as though they forgot that customer service is part of their job.

I myself have not had any terrible experiences with a bank, which is fortunate, because I,'ve been with the same bank for nearly ten years now, and even when I was having a VERY hard time financially, they never closed my account, or threatened to close it and they were never rude to me in person or over the phone.

6. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    That's very odd. I'm not quite sure why they wanted to know the name of your last bank...
    Probably some law for some anti-terrorist purposes and such.
    Walking out was a good move.
    If you have any Langly Federal Credit Unions around you, go with them ^_^

7. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    See, that's why I like to work with small community banks rather than these large corporate ones. Less hassle, less run around. And for the most part, they give you less to deal with overall.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am really surprised a bank manager would yell at a prospective customer this way. I also don't understand why it was so danged important for them to know the name of your last bank. I am glad you left there without opening an account. I am sure that they would not have treated you well in the future. I do prefer the smaller, local banking establishments because they are so much friendlier than the big banks.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Strange you should mention this as I had a similar but not quite as dramatic scenario happen with me. I basically changed banks. And when I went to open the new bank account, they basically wanted to know my last bank's name and why I left etc...Really bizarre.

I just answered simply and the process went by very quickly...but I kept on wondering why they wanted that information? Banks are weird. I think, now that I know about them, I will try a credit union. Wonder if they will ask me what my last bank was...

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry, but due to recent legislature after the 9/11 incident banks have to be sure you aren't either a terrorist or someone funding a terrorist or someone who is being paid by terrorists to move funds around. That said the manager at that bank was beyond unprofessional and I'd be surprise if he kept his job long after that. While credit unions do have their benefits don't give up on banks or even the larger banks. I for instance have a bank account with Bank of America. Because of it being the only worldwide bank around for the families of Ft. Benning it has to maintain a certain standard of behavior and overall service that not many others do here. Also because of how large it is there are services on offer that very few of the other banks around here have. Still you have to make the right choice for you, which is why I suggest looking around the internet and checking out the options available to you.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Credit unions are better for the local community anyway, and they're generally non profit. I've been looking around for a good one to join in my part of town, just so that I can feel like I'm giving back to the community while doing something for myself.

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Next time you open a bank account, tell them you can't remember why you left or the name of the bank. I'm sure they will give you problems, I don't understand why they needed that information. It was 4 years since my last bank, and I honestly couldn't remember the name or why I left. Maybe there's some secret that we don't know, and asking that question might have something to do with getting approved. I don't know it's just a thought.

13. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    Good for you for walking out!!! The only other thing you should have done was ask for a number or address to file a complaint. Most companies, especially large ones, are not very happy to find out that customers have been driven away. Not to mention word of mouth is HUGE, especially for banks with the problems most of them have been having with the media laying all of their greed out for the consumers to see. There is absolutely no excuse for the way you were treated, not at all.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow, I can't believe they treated you like that.

First of all, even without the name of the bank, they can simply run a credit check and it'll pull up your history anyway. There's no reason to harass you over it.

Secondly, the reason they want to know your previous banking history is to make sure you weren't charged off. As in, they want to check to see if you left your previous bank because they closed your account or you racked up overdraft fees or withdrew too much and then never paid them, etc, etc. That's no reason to be rude to you, though.

And thirdly, I'm really glad you walked away. I've never had that sort of issue with a bank before, but I'd do exactly the same as you and just leave.

15. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I am very surprised that the bank manager yelled at you. How unprofessional! You may want to either open an Opportunity checking account at Wells Fargo, which is designed for people with bad banking history, or simply get a pre-paid debit card from Netspend or Account Now.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I opened a bank account a few years ago with Washington Mutual (I don't use this bank anymore), they originally asked me for an employment letter and everything but a blood sample. When I asked a coworker they said that Washington Mutual was abnormally strict with opening new accounts. I have had other bank accounts since then and never had to provide an employment letter to prove I have a job.

17. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I can honestly say that I have opened quite a few bank accounts in my day. I have never been asked where I had banked in the past. That is the strangest question ever. At any rate, you may want to try opening your account online. I believe Bank Of America, and the Fifth Third Bank lets you open an account without even going inside the bank. Don't sweat it, there are plenty of banks that want your business.

18. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Let me assure you that the way the manager treated you was completely unacceptable and any respectable bank would get rid of an employee who acted like that. Yes, they need your previous bank account to make sure you didn't do something illegal with it or anything like that. Usually the process of opening an account is very quick and painless. I opened my own in less than ten minutes.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, Bank of America lets you open a bank account online and then you fund it at the nearest ATM or with Paypal. You don't even have to talk to actual people to open an account with them.
    If you're having trouble getting an account, it's worth it to at least try to open an account online. If you get turned down then you haven't lost anything.

20. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    The issue lies not really with the bank but the oversight from the federal government. Banks are overseen by a federal oversight department called the OCC. These guys are ruthless when it comes to finding issues with bank processes and the fines/penalties are stiff if something is uncovered. This is why banks are so unyielding when it comes to crossing every t and dotting every i. They can't afford not to. You'll notice this a lot more with large national or regional banks more than smaller community banks and credit unions, but it's because the amount of scrutiny is based on the asset portfolio size. I'm sorry that you had such a crappy experience and I understand the frustration, but believe you me, this is actually a good thing overall...if they didn't do this, then the cost of banking would be astronomical.