Why is shipping so expensive?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by andrew320 • Jul 19, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy books from Amazon since they are only a penny, but the shipping is $6.49. Why is it so expensive? Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the books at the stores themselves considering these high shipping costs. Even on eBay, if someone is sending an item in a basic envelope then it sometimes costs you $3!

Please someone explain this to me.

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    unionized labor? just a guess.

i buy comic books from an online store. its cheaper for me to wait and get a list of 12-15 together than buy 3 or 4 because the cost per item of shipping goes down dramatically.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    The cost of diesel fuel is ridiculous and big trucks only get maybe 6-10 miles to a gallon on a good day. With diesel as expensive as it is, some of the cost is passed on to the company and to the customer. It really is mostly fuel related expenses.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If you send in a larger order, you can get free shipping with Amazon, but I think it probably only applies when you order directly from them, rather than associate companies through Amazon. In the UK, the threshold is £25, which isn't a lot really, and you can always combine an order with a friend or relative, and have it sent to a single address to qualify for free shipping.

On Ebay, some sellers use the shipping to make more profit on their sales. When I sell on Ebay, I always check the weight of the item and add a little for packaging, so I don't lose out, but some sellers really ramp up the shipping costs. I've refused to buy from people for that reason.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think shipping costs are high due to the high and increasing costs of fuel and energy resources as we now know them to be. The best way to deal with it for now is to find ways around it...like buying in bulk or similar. I only buy that way if I still save in the end...and in many cases, even with those costs added: it still works out cheaper.

It can be frustrating but we just have to adapt until a more efficient way makes itself known.

6. alid1

alid1New Member

Threads:
    I understand what you mean. I find great deals on the internet, but don't take advantage of them because the shipping is ridiculous. I understand that it costs money to ship, but it is too bad. I would love to get some of the deals on ebay, but I refuse to pay more for shipping than the item. I take advantage of the super saver shipping on amazon. You have to buy at least 25 dollars worth of items to receive it though.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly with the price of gas on the rise businesses are forced to raise their shipping prices. If you buy it in the store you have to spend money on gas to get the item. If you buy it online you pay them for fuel, so you can't avoid it either way.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Shipping costs justify why some items are so apparently "cheap". Some sellers in eBay do this too; they get the attention from buyers, who then realize things weren't as good as they sounded.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I usually factor in the shipping costs as part of the total price. Then I compare prices from various sellers and stores and go with the overall lowest price. I am also not very patient when it comes to waiting for something so if I can find the item at a local store, I will usually just get it there unless it is a lot more expensive.

10. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I know, I hate this! I will find some GREAT deals on Amazon. I can find books, movies, and DVDs for $0.01, but the shipping is outrageous! The only thing that makes sense, is to get multiple at a time, so that you get the discount on $25 or more.

11. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I had to bump up my shipping costs on Ebay because of postal prises rising. I've had trouble selling items on Ebay because of this now and sometimes don't sell even though the item is new-ish. People tend to go for free shipping and like to bid on those items as opposed to high postage ones. I don't blame them, either. I've since had to stop selling small items on Ebay as the postal prices look pretty rediculous on some things.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    If the various government would just get rid of gas speculation then the price on gas and diseal would go down and the associated costs of shipping would also lower. Until that happens this is something is simply going to continue.

13. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with Dconklin. An item purchased on Ebay or Amazon usually isn't going to require a crate to ship, and thus does not warrant the high expense. Just to add to your point, I also think that since we are in the middle of a fuel-scarcity "scare," some of the elevated costs are a result of business people pinpointing and taking advantage of opportunities. It's similar to how airlines are charging for extra bags now. You were supposed to believe that these carriers were gouging you to cover fuel expenses, but airlines are pocketing millions in extra unnecessary fees.

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I know the feeling. I was unable to sell lots of stuff because of our local post office's prices being WAY, way to high for registered airmail and especially for EMS.

15. jaruri

jaruriNew Member

Threads:
    Alot of people bump up their shipping prices, even if the shipping doesn't cost that much. I know that before a recent update, Ebay wouldn't have any fees associated with the shipping cost, so many people would put up items for a penny, but have the shipping cost make up for the rest of the price. This insures that they can avoid the crazy ebay and paypal fees. They recently changed their policy on that though, so it no longer works.

Another reason why shipping is pretty expensive, is that transporting these things costs a fair amount, especially with the current prices of oil. The companies that ship also want to make the biggest profit they can, so they charge us, the buyers, those crazy shipping rates.

Be glad you're not paying shipping costs from foreign countries. I ordered things from Japan sometimes, and the shipping prices are retarded. On my packages, the fastest, EMS, is like 30 dollars. RSAL, the cheaper option, is still like 20 dollars. I'm not too sure about envelops, but the prices for packages and parcels is pretty much robbery. Though I guess plane fuel is very very expensive...

16. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Shipping cost is also a great way to jack up the price of a product.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of Amazon's merchants can opt to have Amazon store the inventory and fulfill the orders. I think these ones will also qualify for free shipping.

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I hate how many sellers in eBay, especially the ones in the US, charge a LOT even for Flat Rate International or First Class International. Those only have tracking capabilities inside the US, and once they leave the country, you better start praying to receive it, because it can be lost and no one is responsible.

I dream of a world where every package can be tracked but postal services don't charge SO darn much for it!

19. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    You know that is a very good question. I truely wish I knew the answer to it. The postage didn't use to be that expensive and now it has gotten ridiculously high. People use to send a lot of stuff long ago and it didn't cost that much but I know the fuel has gone up but my God, there is a lot of people sending things everyday of the week and we all should be paying at a discount rate since we are fotting the bill for it. The planes and trucks are not being repaired everyday so all that is needed is fuel and they still charge us a fortune.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, but I think that the only way that you can save on shipping fees is to choose if ever, the slowest and cheapest shipping rate. That's what I do whenever I buy books in Barnes And Noble, since I live outside the US. Apart from that, if you really need to buy the item online, then you really have no choice but to pay for the high shipping costs.