Wifi Extenders

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Jan 25, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently just bought a wifi extender that you plug in to a socket and it will serve as a second router to extend your first one. I had a bit of trouble setting it up but I eventually got it working but I'm not sure how effective it really is. I do get more bars in my devices in rooms that previously were too far from our original router but the speeds are still pretty much the same so I'm thinking it's probably just because my internet itself Is very slow.

Anyone here who is using one of these wifi extenders? Which brand are you using and how well is it working for you?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am just finding out about wifi extenders, where did you purchase it. I would like to get one because we seem to be having the same problem in one of the back bedrooms. The router is in the basement we also have a slower speed service.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have used them a couple times in the past, but I don't remember the brand.

Pat, you can get them at lots of places. Stores like Staples carry them but I always end up buying this sort of thing online.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a great way to get awful ping times, if you ask me.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not tried a WIFI extender. I bought a very powerful router. It boosted the wifi signal and allowed more wireless devices to be used in our apartment. The brand was Asus. I didn't know they made routers. I am very pleased with it and I highly recommend it.

6. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Before thinking about buying a wi-fi extender to improve your Internet connection speed, you must do a speed test and make sure actual your data transfer speed is lower than then one you leased from your ISP, to be certain it isn't covered by the pair of wi-fi bars you currently get .

It is quite common to see local speeds (well above the Internet speed) for the local network. That is, even with low local connectivity, it could well cover your contracted bandwidth perfectly. If so, maybe you can live without a wi-fi extender.