WiFi Phone Call Apps

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Parker • May 13, 2014.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been reading about wifi apps that allow you to make free phone calls over wifi. Google Voice and Google Hangouts have this option for iPhones, but not the Android.

Has anyone used any of the wifi phone call apps? What was your experience?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't really know. I usually use Skype for this kind of thing, which means on my phone, too, but it's not available for all landline calls without a package. I think it's worth the $3 a month through Skype, but that's still not free, so I don't know offhand which free options are worthwhile to use.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a mobile phone plan but only covers unlimited texts. If I call somebody, it would be an additional charge for me. That's why I use Viber. Most of my friends and colleagues use Viber too so it's easy to call them via Wi-Fi using the app. It's like Skype, only Viber is more famous here. It helps save on my monthly phone bills.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I got an app called "Magic Jack", its pretty good because it allows me to call all over North America and that's all that I need really. The call quality is pretty good depending on the decency of your wifi quality. I haven't had any bad experiences with it, other than when the weather is extremely bad and it drops the call, but that is pretty understandable. The app is free by the way :)

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never heard of this app but that's probably because I don't always check on what is new in Android. At the moment I only have Skype and Google hangout installed but Skype is what I use often. I still have to pay if I wanted to call a phone though.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought Skype was much more than $3 per month. I read that a Skype number was $80 per year. I will have to verify that information.

Viber is one of the apps that I discovered during my research. It seems like you're very satisfied with it. I think I will test it out.

I have heard of Magic Jack, but I found tons of bad reviews about it online. Most of the complaints were about poor or lack of customer service.

Google Hangout is great for free wifi calling, but that option is only available for the iPhone. It's supposed to be coming to the Android, but no date has been given. I do find it ironic that the capability is available on the iPhone, but the "Google" phones (Android).

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, the first wifi phone call app that I used was the Yahoo Messenger app. It worked perfectly before. I could make voice calls and video calls left and right to my friends. But then something happened (I dunno if it's an app problem or a problem with updating the Android OS). Voice and video calls crash always in Yahoo Messenger. That's why I mainly use Viber nowadays.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When did Yahoo Messenger app stopped working? Google has stopped supporting third party apps. Google is looking to push people to use Google Hangouts. Google Hangout works great for iPhones, but not Android phones.

9. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    TextNow is a good app. You can even use it online on there website.

It allows you to text and call people. Incoming calls are free. Cool app.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the recommendation! I just took a quick look at it and it looks good. I'm going to give it a try and report back to this thread.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I usually use Skype and Facebook for my Wifi phone calls. But most of the time Facebook since it's the easier way for me to all friends and the call quality is superb.

12. nuka cola

nuka colaBanned

Threads:
    On my iPod I have a TextFree app that includes calls, so I just use that if I need it. I'd personally rather use my normal calling though since it's a pain...

13. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    Viber definitely gets a recommendation from me. You can call and next numbers in the US or internationally as long as you have WiFi access, and I've never had much of a problem with their service. Plus, their stickers are pretty cool.